Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Media history black-out
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:59 pm 

I searched for anything in the mainstream news media about the 76th anniversary of the Hiroshima atom bomb (06Aug45) but found nothing. Tmrw (09Aug) marks the 76th anniversary of the Nagasaki bomb, which brought WWII to a close.
I wonder if they will say anything about it tmrw, or if history has become just too unimportant to today's USA? We have members who were alive during those events, and many of our own parents fought in WWII. They say those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Our kids are being taught useless junk in schools and are being kept ignorant of important facts. :cry:

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:54 am 

:oops: :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:58 pm 

:oops: :?

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:55 pm 

I was giving this topic some thought. Yes, its me actually thinking! :shock:

Other than doing a "book report" on a book I chose to read for my class assignment in Jr. high school, I cannot honestly say that I was taught much, if anything about WW1, WW2 or even the Korean War. The book I chose to read and report on was "Hiroshima" by John Hersey, published in 1946. It is one compelling story that I will never forget. If you haven't read it, you should as it vividly describes events before, during and after the bombing first hand from a few bomb blast survivors.

I guess that I have become more interested in these world events especially as I have gotten older. Hopefully our successors will as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:19 pm 

Good point, John. Our 6th grade class read Hiroshima together as a reading assignment, and My Weekly Reader was always full of patriotic war stories and news. When I personally visited Peace Park (ground zero) in Hiroshima 20yrs later, I actually understood what I was seeing. My Japanese girlfriend (with silent tears in her eyes) devoted our entire date to translating for me the personal letters display, written by survivors of the bomb.
I don't feel any "guilt" about us dropping the bombs ~ it saved millions of lives by ending the war. But it was a world event which changed everything for everybody, everywhere, forever, and we must not - can not - lose sight of it in our history.
Frank

Attachments:
File comment: The Hiroshima mushroom cloud climbed to over 60,00 feet in less than 10 minutes and kept climbing. Aircraft of the day were unable to judge its height beyond that altitude.
iu-4.jpeg
iu-4.jpeg [ 61.08 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]
File comment: Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Promotion building before the blast
nrug09.jpg
nrug09.jpg [ 39.25 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]
File comment: Effectively everything within a 2+mile radius was flattened by the blast, then incinerated at 6,000*F
iu-7.jpeg
iu-7.jpeg [ 43.78 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
File comment: The first A-bomb was detonated about 1/2 mile directly above Hiroshima's Prefectural Industrial Promotion building.
iu-6.jpeg
iu-6.jpeg [ 38.02 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
File comment: The "Atomic Dome" at Peace Park, Hiroshima Japan, which was Ground Zero for the airburst atom bomb dropped on 06Aug45. Due to its Western construction the Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall was the only big building left standing (but twisted, flaming, and melted) within a 2-mile radius.
iu-4.jpeg
iu-4.jpeg [ 8.36 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:04 pm 

Yea but you two are old guys :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously I don't remember learning about that either.
I do however remember going to see "Judgement at Nuremburg" movie as a kid. To this day I can still see those images. :x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOgZXIQ6fo

It nauseates me that the average American has no memory of what happened there.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)