Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Frank's new Pacer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29 pm 

Mecum auction next month Frank.

Two barely used Pacers are crossing the block.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/1980 ... 59200.html

Jay

Post subject: Re: Frank's new Pacer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm 

:lol: Haha! Thanks for this memory!

I had one of these nifty little "Moon Buggies" back in the late '70s-'80s. It rode like a Cadillac and the air conditioner would freeze you on the hottest day. The interior was very well insulated so music from the 12 speakers and cold air stayed where they were needed. Our DL model had the straight-6 which was admittedly underpowered if you wanted to race people, but was excellent for highway driving once the car got going. They later put a V8 in it because it was the '70s and everyone wanted more power. In my opinion that was a mistake because the engine took up the entire engine bay and actually moved the firewall backwards in a few places. You couldn't even change all the spark plugs unless the car was up on a lift and you stood on a chair.

Anyway, the earlier models were better looking than this late model (what were they thinking when they made that grille?) and every car I look back on makes me appreciate my 240Z even more.

PS: I have to pay one other compliment to the AMX Pacer. The huge glass surface made the car a rolling greenhouse (hence the great A/C unit) and Pacers had the largest windscreen in the business at the time. (The Jensen Interceptor had a huge rear window during those years, but the Pacer still held the record for pure size on each of its 5 windows). The front, side, and rear glass had not one iota of distortion in any part of them. Curved to conform to the aerodynamic-egg styling of the rest of the car, the wrap-around windscreen was true high-quality glass which gave you real-life images in every direction you looked. And it was really fascinating to watch raindrops run upward toward the top of the window if driving during a light rain ~ each one seemed to take a full minute to make the trip.
I do miss my Pacer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:55 am 

:lol: I can just picture Frank timing the raindrops traveling up the windscreen of his hot little Pacer! :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm 

:wink:

I wonder if any of the raindrops ever beat the one minute benchmark.

You know Frank you make a good point about the A/C. It's a good thing the unit worked well, I'm sure heat probably was an issue with all the glass.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:10 pm 

If you ever get the chance to drive (or even ride in) a Pacer, do take it. The ride is very smooth and the interior is unusually quiet (a least on our DL model).

The doors are different sizes, too; the passenger door is far wider than the driver's door, so kids can climb into the back seat without the front passenger moving out first. That technically puts more glass on the passenger side than on the driver's side. Heavy tint would have been totally logical for that car, but I don't recall ever seeing one wearing any. The top 1/4 of our windscreen was greenish tint from the factory, but you still couldn't survive without that A/C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:53 pm 

I remember you mentioned the different size doors once before. Interesting.

If I ever have the chance I will. The only one I saw up close was my uncle's, but I was very young, maybe 5 years old. Even then I used troll the driveway to look at the cars. Especially at family get-togethers at my grandparent's house. I was born with my car passion.

Jay