Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:18 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:32 pm 

One of our members is considering a Z for sale in California. He asks if any of us knows a good car shipper who won't make him mortgage his home to get the car back to CT safely?

I know several of our members have had carz shipped here from CA, (Marc-A, Ron Morales, etc) and would like to hear recommendations from them or others who feel confident about any certain carrier.

Price, stress-level and timeliness are important concerns.

(THIS, by the way, would make an EXCELLENT entry for our VENDOR GRIPES AND RAVES forum!)

Thanks in advance ~

Frank T
MbrshpDir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 pm 

I just Googled "vehicle transport" and there were a bazillion entries. The
3rd entry was "10 Cheap Car Moving Rates." I didn't enter any info but
the title suggested some kind of competition in price. I'll look further to
see what I can find about insurance/bonding, enclosed or open trailer,
level of experience, testimonies/referrals, and stuff like that.
FWIW, ~Rick~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:11 pm 

When I bought my Black Pearl in 2000, I used "Horseless Carraige Carriers" to get the car from Indiana to CT. The experience I had was flawless although it probably depends upon what driver you get. They thoroughly went through the car before loading it onto the truck, marking down every little blemish that the prior owner didn't even know existed. About four days later it arrived at my home in CT in the same shape it left Indiana. I paid about $600 which was lower than some other enclosed haulers wanted. It should go without saying but I'll say it anyway - you must get an enclosed truck if you don't want road rash on your vehicle from highway debris, stones, etc.

So my experience using these movers was excellent and I would use them again.

Good luck!! Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:19 pm 

Thanks, and I agree about the enclosed trailer.

The only carriers I've spoke with used open, common, commercial car-carriers like the ones we see bringing new cars to the dealerships. They had fair rates, but the cars were exposed and the "Gypsy" drivers (off duty from some other job) picked them up as they became available in his region, then delivered them when he got a trailer full. So you could be the first car on the trailer, then have to wait for him to get 7 or 8 more orders before your car even headed your way.

When you buy a new Z car, just about the last thing you want to do is wait 6 or 7 weeks to see it! (We all went thru that back in the 70s!)

*(HAHA! I just posted the 11111th entry! :lol:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:52 pm 

Finally a topic I can help somebody else out with...

Generally speaking I agree with the enclosed carrier. I purchased my car in January of '09 (wow only a year ago, seems longer) and there was no way that I would allow my Z to be exposed to the winter elements. I also agree that ideally you want to find a dedicated shipper who will be accountable for your car and who will not sub contract the deal.

I have two options for you that fit the bill (I have used both):

The top of the line IMHO is Masten Van Lines/Precious Metals in NJ. I used them to ship my Z from Cali. They are crazy expensive in my opinion, $2K for an enclosed carrier from Cali to NJ. But I have worked closely with Billly & Sue over there on a few cars... and I love them like family and I would trust them with any car. They are expensive b/c they typically ship Ferrari's, show cars for all the major shows in the country, famous people's cars etc, etc.

If you want max professionalism, safety for your car and a carrier you can trust and price is less of an issue I would use Masten every time. Sue's phone number is 201-206-8659. She is the primary sales person tell her Marc says hi.

On another recent occasion I shipped a car from Cali to PA in the summertime. In that case, money was an issue and I wasn't able to use Masten Van Lines. I went with a company called Dependable Auto Shippers. They also do not sub lease their jobs. I paid $1200 for an enclosed truck. The catch here is that the car was shipped to a terminal in Harrisburg PA and then I had to take it to its final destination in PA myself. The car arrived about a week earlier than originally promised! Bernie Torres is my guy in SoCal with Dependable Auto Shippers. (800) 826-1083 ext. 2259. If you want email addresses let me know.

Also I think the condition of the car can play a factor in the pricing.

There you have it. Not really apples to apples b/c in one case I shipped from NoCal to Bergen County NJ and in the second case it was from SoCal to Harrisburg, PA but at least you have a few solid options.

Please verify everything that I have said directly with the shippers. And feel free to bust their chops in order to get the best possible deal! All segments of the car industry are hurting now. The high end cars aren't selling well or at all. You are never going to find a better buyers market for cars products and services than right now!!!!!

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Marc

1972 Datsun 240z #88178

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 am 

Thanks Marc! When I checked last year for somebody, the rate from California to NYC was $1100. I don't even remember the details now about whose car it was or why i got involved. So your figures support what you said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 pm 

It occurs to me that the driveability of the car may also be a contributing
factor; i.e., to be able to start the car, and to drive and steer iit to get it
aboard is one thing, whereas to winch it aboard, or some other labor-
intensive procedure, would probably cost a little more.

Now that may or may not be included in the "condition" criterion someone
mentioned above. (I originally considered "condition" to connote a level
or degree of restoration, or lack of it). For example, a concours car might
cost substantially more to ship than, say, a builder, due to the greater
care and protection it would have to be given.

My two thoughts above seem to militate against one another..............

FWIW, ~Rick~