Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: CHROME!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:57 pm 

I have stumbled onto an active chrome plater here in CT. :shock:

I found an old business card for BAR Plating, Inc, at 30-7 Powers Drive in Meriden CT 06451 (203) 630-1046. Their number and website are active! Has anyone used them?

Owner Bruce Rogers (BA Rogers/BAR) claims he's able to plate in many media (chrome, copper, silver, etc) and he specializes in boats, motocycles and CLASSIC CARS. :twisted:

With all the members on here asking about re-chroming bumpers, this could solve a lot of angst.

http://www.BARchromeplating.com

Poor guy ~ we're probably all gonna use him at once. :roll:

Frank

Post subject: Re: CHROME!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:13 pm 

WELL!! I just called and spoke with Bruce, who is an enthusiastic car and bike guy and we had a great chat. He tells me he ALSO does MEDIA BLASTING and CERAMIC COATING!!!! :shock:

Honestly, this sounds like a do-all shop which is custom made to our needs. I will drive to him next week and look his place over and report back to you here.

We also discussed having him attend one of our Monthly Meetings and make a presentation about what services he provides.

I couldn't be happier! Sorry John, that I didn't find this guy's card before you sent your bumpers away to Never Never Land to get them chromed. :|

Frank T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 pm 

Good find Frank! :thumbs_up:

Nice to have a second "local" source . I'm curious if BAR does the work in house or if they send it out like New England Chrome did. NEC's work was fine but it took a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:16 pm 

I spent a happy hour today getting a tour of the BAR plating and B&C Ceramic and Powder Coating shops at 30-6 and 30-7 Powers Drive in Meriden 06451. BAR owner Bruce Rogers (the dad) has done plating work for more than 28yrs and his son Craig is professionally experienced in media blasting and re-coating all surfaces.

They employ 5 full-time, skilled mature professional platers and I was impressed by the apparent order and safety of the shop. There were parts from motorcycles, cars, snowmobiles, superchargers and aircraft present while I was there, and a wall shelf of waiting work. Each part is carefully inventoried when it is received and a firm estimate assigned. Parts don't so much get passed hand to hand for the many different steps to "recovery"; rather an individual craftsman will assume control of one part and perform each step of the work. That gives them total accountability for the result and a feeling of 'owning' the work. The results are outstanding and provides for excellent care of irreplaceable parts (you should have heard the stories of some of the items they've been given to work on).

On the opposite side of the wall, son Craig Rogers owns and operates the full-service professional media blasting, ceramic and powder coating shop. He showed me his blasting cabinets, his powder and ceramic booths and his baking cabinets. With that professional gear he is able to handle motorcycle and car frames, wheels and car parts.

Together, these guys are the answer to a lot of our prayers. They do 95% of their work on-site and YES, JOHN ~ these guys would have saved you. Sorry I didn't find their card in time. Some wheels get sent out for technical reasons but the turn-around time is very acceptable. I saw some of their finished products and their work is "brilliant" (haha!). They can polish, or chrome, or powder coat your cam cover, bumpers, wheels or body script any color rapidly while your Z hibernates this winter. I'm picturing copper-colored 5-slot wheels!

They are amenable to attending one of our Monthly Meetings together this Zeason (I recommend North Haven because it's close to them) and demonstrating their abilities in exchange for some piZZa. They are both nice guys and easy to talk with. They can custom-coat your Datsun, Husqvarna, Cris-Craft, Beechcraft or (probably) your Colt.

Direct your questions about repair and plating or polishing of any metal to Bruce @ (203) 630-1046. Your questions about media blasting, ceramic or powder coating should be called in to Craig @ (203) 988-7082. Be sure you tell them you're a CTZCC member and you learned about them on our Club website.

I took a lot of pictures for you there, but as usual I'm having trouble posting them here. I will ship them to someone with a real computer and let them post them for me. Sorry,

Frank T

Attachments:
File comment: Apparently there's no limit to what they can gold-plate, including what might be in your pocket!
IMG_3048.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 7637 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 pm 

Frank, you mention polishing in your post. I know they are mostly a coatings place it seems, but did you see any metal refinishing equipment.

I am thinking of the wheel polishing machines. I am looking to have a set of wheels done up. I suppose I could have them blasted and coated as well, but surely that is more expensive.

Anyone have any ballpark on how much powder coating of wheels and other parts usually is?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am 

Hi Dave ~ glad you asked that question. Owner Bruce told me they send road wheels out to be deep-cleaned and get them back very quickly, at which time they do whatever custom work you need (plating, polishing or powder coating). I'm attaching a quick photo of a line of wheels they did that day, waiting for customers to come in and pick them up. They only did what the customers wanted them to do. I took pictures of a whole room full of car and motorcycle wheels before I left, and the results were stunning. Alas, my stupid computer is not good at transferring pictures to this new website format and they come out the size of a roadmap.

I saw XKE bumperettes on a bench being reshaped following a collision (hand-tapped with a body hammer and wheel), then polished to mirror finish. The finished one looked better than new.

I encourage you to call Bruce or his son Craig (203)630-104six and tell them what you have in mind, and hear their suggestions. Some of the powder coating results were spectacular. They also coat gun parts.
Please be sure you tell them you read about their shop on the CT Z Car Club website; it will be important to them to know that.

Frank T

Attachments:
File comment: Some finished road wheels waiting for customer pickup
IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 7542 times ]