Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 240Z Fabric Dash Cover
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm 

Guess I'm one of those lucky ones to still have a dash w/o cracks (& no evidence of any starting). I suppose one reason for this is that the Zs been in & out of body shops and storage for many years (its a loooong but I'm sure familiar story). Now that the restoration is about complete (just in time for another Winter hibernation) I'm thinking a removable fabric dash cover would be a wise investment to keep my dash in crack-free condition. I do periodically clean it and religiously treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

So, any BTDTs regarding these covers & recommendations on ones that fit, look & function best. Thinking I would use it when the Z is parked in the sun and even perhaps while driving. For Cars & Coffee type shows, etc it would be removed.

In advance... Thanks

Chris
'72 240Z (owned since 2/74)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm 

Everybody's gonna have their own input on this, but here's mine.

My first 1970 dash developed the two "standard" cracks (directly below the rearview mirror) when the car hit 8 years old. That was the result of 8 years of Hawaiian and North Carolina sun, and being repeatedly thrown into every possible corner at the very highest safe speed of the moment (trying to lift the inside wheel). The early bodies flexed a lot, causing lateral stresses driving straight thru the dashboard. I also used gallons of ArmorAll which I thought was the "right stuff". Turns out it actually dries those dashes rather than moistens them.

Today I have a replacement dash AND a front shock tower brace. I also use VASELINE instead of ArmorAll. Hand-rub a two-finger glob of Vaseline (by brand name ~ don't use anything else) and work it into your CLEAN dash until you can't zee it anymore. I often cover mine with a towel if I'm walking away from it for awhile in the bright sun, but I feel the shock tower brace and the Vaseline have made the actual difference.

I know your question was about rug caps, but you can actually crack your dash even if you use them.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:43 pm 

Thanks Frank. Installation of front & rear shock tower braces were part of my current restoration (installed earlier this year). Had it out for first shakedown run about 10 days ago. That's the 1st time its been driven on the road in 25+ years. Felt GOOD to be "back in the saddle".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:08 pm 

FIRST "Z" DRIVE IN 25 YEARS!?? Oh, how I envy your joy :twisted: I can only imagine how much fun that must have been for you.

What were your immediate impressions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 am 

SUN cracks unprotected Z dashes. Period. Zs that have been garaged the majority of their lives have a much better chance of keeping the cracks away.

Frank is correct about the vaseline treatment. It actually puts oils back into the vinyl of the dash. Just make sure that it is CLEAN and DRY first, then gently rub vaseline into the dash. Let it sit for a couple of days then wipe clean. Best to do this when the car is in storage. :wink:

Armour All gets a bad rap. I wish I know where this started, probably from a competitor. Despite the criticisms, I swear by the stuff. I've been using Armour All on my 240 dash since 1979 and it's still crack free and looking good!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester