Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am 

I'm ready to start the prep work on my '78 280z. Some rust, priming, block sanding and painting. I'm guessing it will take me about a year in my spare time to complete. I need some advise on what size air compressor to purchase. I was planning on using a siphon feed gun. I was hoping to get by on a 33 gallon Craftsman compressor with a 1.6HP motor putting out 6.3 SCFM at 40psi. Is this enough? I have no problem painting in stages and then color sanding the final coat. I'd really like to keep my costs down on the compressor.

Can anyone help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm 

You're in luck, Paco. A year ago Keith walked us thru his exploration of different size compressors for operating pneumatic garage tools, and Bryan more recently painted his Z with a compressor and paint gun he selected after research.
If I wasn't so busy right now I'd look those Threads up and link them here.
I'm sure you'll hear from both of them!

Frank T

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:14 pm 

Purists scoff at anything less than the best. But if you just want to spray and color sand the flaws out afterwards you can get by with a modest setup. I used a Husky 30 gallon 1.8hp rated at 6.1 @40 psi (4.3@155) which only cranks up to 135psi. My gun was a Devilbiss FLG-3 (HVLP).

The downside is that a smaller compressor runs out of steam fast and sits there chugging away to bring the pressure back up after only spraying a one panel. Mine would spray great for 20 seconds but when the tank hit 90 the finish would get thicker and pebbly. 90 sounds like a lot but the SCFM at that point must have been poor. It would take 5 minutes to build back up from 90 to 135, that's lot of flash time to deal with. If I had to do it again I would buy a better compressor.

But you're using a siphon feed gun, no experience there, but I believe they are a lot more forgiving than HVLP. Perhaps someone here can chime in on those.

BTW, if you go with single-stage urethane and forgo the clearcoat you can color sand with no guilt as long as you have a few coats on. Mine is on thick an I'll be color sanding this winter.

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm 

Has anyone ever used aLVLP(low volume low pressure) gun? IIRC its for people who want "professional results" out of a smaller compressor. Thats where I left off in my research