Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:02 pm 

Just finished restoring my exterior emblems & thought I'd pass along process for others...I'm very pleased w/ the results. Note: All materials were obtained from local hobby shop. Here goes......

1. After cleaning thoroughly used Hobbico MasterMastic Liquid Masking Film to"blank-out" areas I didn't want painted (basically the chrome & brushed silver finish areas). Applied the masking film with a very fine brush (couple of coats should do the trick). An LED lighted clamp-on magnifier helps you see the edges of the chrome/brushed finishes you're covering & control the fine brush. The masking film is water-based so cleanup is easy.

2. Black areas of emblems were painted w/ Model Masters flat black (#FS 37038), its a 3 oz rattle can. Three (3) light coats provided good coverage.

3. After at least 24 hr drying time applied Model Masters Lacquer Overcoat in Semi-Gloss (also a 3 oz rattle can). Again 3 light coats were applied.

4. After another 24 hrs min. remove the brushed-on masking film. Basically this involves rubbing it off w/ your finger. If you've ever worked w/ rubber cement its similar to that. You'll likely need to do some follow-up finishing/trimming w/ a hobby knife (#11 X-acto). Volia, great looking emblems.

Now for location of the "Datsun" & "240Z" emblems on the right side of rear hatch. BTW both of these emblems only have one mounting pin remaining so will likely use some emblem mastic or dbl. sided emblem tape. Since my holes are filled need to determine location relative to edges of hatch. I've attached a drawing (it may need to be rotated) of the arrangement of these 2 emblems w/ dimensions I need in order to get them in the OEM location. Dimensions A, B, & C are for "240Z" emblem & W, X, Y, & Z for "Datsun".
So could someone with a '72 240Z w/ the OEM emblems in the factory locations please measure these dimensions and post in a Reply. It would be greatly appreciated.

In advance, THANKS!

Chris
'72 240Z (almost back on the road after a MANY years)

Attachments:
240Zhatchemblem.pdf [31.48 KiB]
Downloaded 542 times