Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Black Pearl Stripes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:06 pm 

I have found a person with the templates for the Black Pearl "Midnight" stripe kits that came on the 1978 280Z. I am restoring mine and need at least 3 more orders before they will make a run. If you are interested please contact me. I have one other Z owner who is going to buy at least one set so I need 3 more orders.
Thanks---Mark
727-580-0433

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm 

Ross might know some others who need them. We have another member down South who bought an original BP two years ago, which needs the stripe kit.

I understood only dealers were allowed to put those on the cars? There were interesting stories about that 3M kit back in the day, but I've forgotten most of them.

What price are they asking per kit?

Frank T

Post subject: Black Pearl Stripes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:42 pm 

I think it might have been me as I live in Tampa Bay area and have been looking for almost 2 years to get these stripes. Ross and I had corresponded before on them.

You are correct, back in the day only the dealers did this special appearance package on the '78 Black Pearl Zs.

About 7 years ago this couple did about 10 sets of stripes for I think about $450 per set. They will be more money this time but it somewhat depends on how many orders we get. Once I have at least 5 orders, preferrably more, we can get a price.

Thanks for passing the word along!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:19 pm 

Well actually, no sir. It was Chris from Little Rock. I haven't been in touch with him for quite awhile, so I don't know if he still has his BP or not. I'll have to rekindle that friendship and find out if he's in the market for a stripe kit. I know he was pretty hot about finding one a couple years ago.

Frank T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:09 pm 

That would be great Frank.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:43 pm 

Spoke with Chris today. He has sold his BP to a man who is tearing it down for a total rotisserie restoration. He intended to paint the stripes on because he couldn't find any 3M decal kits anymore. That means he will need one.

I asked Chris to steer the guy to us for a link-up with you. Hopefully that will work out to everyone's satisfaction. Chris hasn't heard from the guy in 6 months and has lost his old cellphone with the guy's number in it, so it will take him awhile to backtrack thru friends to relocate the guy.

This will probably result in an order, if you can wait for Chris to relocate the new BP owner.

Frank T

Oh, PS ~ I have to share with you that I have had the unique privilege of holding one of the very few remaining original UNUSED BP 3M Stripe Kits in my own hot little hands in recent years. 8) I've never owned a Pearl, nor do I ever expect to. But the rarity and value of that kit wasn't lost on me in the least! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm 

Those are rare stripes indeed! Thanks Frank I appreciate it!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 pm 

Quick update on the Black Pearl stripes. I have 4 people that want to order the Black Pearl stripe kit but at this point I have not heard back from the people that do the stripes if they will move forward with a smaller order like 5 or so. A little frustrating. I do not have a quote on the cost as it will be somewhat dependent on how many orders and mainly because I have not heard back from them. I have attached a video from You Tube of a restored Black Pearl. I spoke to the owner of this Z and he was the one that put me in touch with Michelle that has software templates, instructions and color selections. Having bought my Black Pearl brand new in 1978, these stripes are spot on. If you are thinking or restoring a Black Pearl or need a back up set of the stripes set please let me know. Mark 727-580-0433 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVC7Q5TCRR4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

One of our newest MemberZ, ChefsZ if I remember correctly, MIGHT have a BP. He might be interested as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 pm 

One of our newest MemberZ, ChefsZ if I remember correctly, MIGHT have a BP. He might be interested as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 pm 

After looking closely at that car, I decided it probably wasn't a real 'Pearl. They are so valuable and desirable, they are frequently copied. His mirrors and wheels are not BP issue, so the only way to tell if his car is an actual BP at this point would be to view the color-code decal on his radiator support. I asked him, but he hasn't responded.
If his was an actual BP, it would be extremely rare because it was made a year earlier than the others. That's possible if he got a very late 1977 car, designed for 1978.
But it's very unlikely. The seller let it go at a normal price, without any mention of it being a BP, which is like selling the Hope Diamond under an advertiZement for costume jewelry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:57 pm 

There's only one way to find out...let's hope he replies!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 pm 

Quick update. We will have the quote for the Black Pearl stripe kit after the first of the year. The decal shop moved locations and has been swamped so they said they will get back to Michelle after the first of Jan. Once we have the quote and assuming all 5 people are still interested I will need your e-mail address and will put you in contact with Michelle directly for payment,etc. We are still looking for more that are interested in the kits. If interested get on board because the last time these stripe kits were made was about 7 years ago. Mark 727-580-0433 mrkedmu@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 pm 

At last we have a price for a Black Pearl stripe kit! It is $395 plus shipping. I have 5 others interested right now so we are moving forward in the next 10 days. It has taken me over a year to bird dog this opportunity so if you are considering getting a stripe kit for your Black Pearl please contact me and you can deal directly with them. Last time they did an order was over 7 years ago. In this thread is a link to a '78 Black Pearl that has stripes they did about 7 plus years ago. mrkedmu@hotmail.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 pm 

Have you considered putting this information on other Z forums? You might be able to get a few orders and (maybe?) lower the price per order.