Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:30 pm 

Frank will be one of the first to tell us we are never "finished" with our cars but I have finally brought my restoration project to a successful completion - at least to my tired old eyes. My baby is back on the road and now just needing some breakin miles and a few minor paint tweaks.

Rather than clutter these discussions, the latest pics are now in member rides.

Time to begin enjoying my car again after its 29-year nap.

Jim

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 pm 

Congrats! Pics!

1976 Fairlady Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 pm 

GREAT JOB JIM!! You have to be very satisfied and proud of that job. Looks wonderful !

See: http://www.ctzcc.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?a ... ett;page=1

Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 pm 

Way to go Jim, congrats! Now go enjoy the ride.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:49 pm 

:shock: OH, MY WORD! What an absolutely knock-dead gorgeous Z! That's simply breath-taking!

What a sensational job you've done to this classic 240, Jim. You should be extremely proud (NO! Never mind ~ WE'RE proud enough FOR you!). This Club has a few extremely perfect restored 240Zs in the ranks, and yours has just bubbled its way up to the top of that soup.

It almost looks too nice to drive! :lol: (almost!)

Anyone who has patiently suffered thru the full-on restoration of a classic 240Z knows what you're experiencing right now. Pride, satisfaction, amazement that it took so long (and cost so much), and FEAR of every other driver on the road now. Insure your baby for more than you invested in it, please. This car will outlast you, and give future generations a valuable insight into the remarkable achievement the 240Z was in the 1970s. So while you've created a lifetime of enjoyment for yrslf, you have also preserved something which will educate and excite future generations for years to come.

As Vinny Bedini cautioned me when my 240 first came out of the shop, take trips in ever-increasing distances away from home until the car is broken-in and you're confident nothing will fail on a longer trip. I planned to immediately drive cross-country as soon as mine was finished. (Glad I didn't).

Wow. Now your days and nights will never be the same. Days will be spent cruising, and nights will be interrupted by late-night trips to the garage, just to stare in wonder and amaZement.

Trust me, I know.

Proud to have this car in the CTZCC! Wow!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:53 pm 

* (WAIT ~ your post is from OCTOBER?? How did I miss this for 4 months?!) :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:34 pm 

Finally... a bit of LUV! Just kidding :lol: .

Kind words from respected fellow enthusiasts are very much appreciated and any recognition from Carl is always special.

Frank - your comment "extremely perfect restored" may draw some attention from folks who have gone the extra miles and expense to truly restore these cars back to the "as delivered" state. The best I can claim is a "mod resto" effort and the car is far from perfect, but I am still satisfied with my results.

Insurance is with Hagerty and right at the cutoff for requiring a professional appraisal so I think it is well covered in that regard.

The break-in advice is much appreciated. My engine builder cautioned me to not baby it and get a wide range of demands on the motor so I have had a few sprited runs on area freeways and tollways - losing the grin afterwards takes a real effort!

Thanks again.

Jim

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:24 pm 

Z looks great Jim!! Now, what's the next project going to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 pm 

Frank T wrote:
:shock: OH, MY WORD! What an absolutely knock-dead gorgeous Z! That's simply breath-taking!
{...snipped..cjb}
Insure your baby for more than you invested in it, please. This car will outlast you, and give future generations a valuable insight into the remarkable achievement the 240Z was in the 1970s. So while you've created a lifetime of enjoyment for yrslf, you have also preserved something which will educate and excite future generations for years to come.

Too many years ago to remember {about 20} - I contacted several providers of "Classic Car Insurance". At the time almost none of them offered Agreed Value Policies for the owners of DATSUN 240Z's.

At the time, my main interest was to build a relationship with one Classic Car Insurer - such that they would offer an Agreed Value Policy to our group of Z Car Original Owners on the Z Car Original Owners Register.

The main rational was that having owned and cared for our Datsun 240Z's since new - our main goal was to assure that we could get an Agreed Value high enough to assure our Z's would be properly repaired in case of an accident.

Back then - the Actual Cash Value of a Datsun 240Z according to the insurance adjustors - was $800.00 to $1200.00. Based mostly on the REPORTED SALES Prices at which the States collected Sales Tax. {we all know how that works}. Nonetheless it was to the benefit of the adjustors as it reflected unrealistically low values.

One man at the Hagerty Insurance Agency expressed an interest in working with me, on behalf of our Z Car Original Owners. At the time I think we had about 30 people on the register. In turn, Bob DeKorn worked with the underwriters at the Hagerty - and got them to support an Agreed Value of up to $10K for our 240Z's.

Of course $10K can't "replace" a car you have owned and cared for over 20 years - but back then it did pretty much assure our Z's would be properly repaired instead of totalled for $2,500.00 or less.

Over the time that followed we added ever more Z Car Original Owners to our Register - now up to 175 as I recall AND the Datsun 240Z's have become recognized "Classic Cars" by all Classic Car Insurance providers. The Hagerty has insured #1 Condition Datsun 240Z's for over $75K and they now provide Classic Car insurance with Agreed Values for over 700 Z and ZX owners.

When it comes to Classic Car Insurance - we Z owners have come a long way in the past 20 years. Of course I wouldn't buy Classic Car Insurance from anyone but the Hagerty today.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:21 pm 

Hagerty is the best, period. I've been with them for a long time now. Always friendly and willing to help. I've never had a problem with agreed value on all of my Zs.

Here's hoping that I continue to pay the premiums for years to come. WITHOUT a claim!

:D

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 pm 

Carl, every Spring I plan to change from Allstate to Hagerty and never seem to get it done. My Allstate agent also carries Hagery insurance. Would I be better served to go through Hagerty directly or does my current agent provide the same service and cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 pm 

Hi Phil:
I'm pretty sure the cost would be the same through your agent or directly with the Hagerty.

I like dealing directly with the Hagerty for my Classic Car Insurance, all the people there have been super to deal with and always most helpful. I've been with them a long time.

For my regular car insurance, we seem to change providers every year or two - It seems that the regular insurance companies will give you a lower rate to get your business - than they will to keep your business.

At present our regular auto insurance is a matter of finding the best price to insure a teenage driver in the family.

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:55 am 

I agree with the choice of Hagerty for all the reasons others have stated
in their comments above. When looking for the BEST VALUE (that's
always been my guide, whether giving it or receiving it), I was blessed
to come to this conclusion: If Jim Frederick, a HIGHLY successful insurance
professional, who JUST HAPPENS to own a great many of the same make
and model car as I have, SELECTS Hagerty to protect his stunning fleet,
then I would be MORE than stupid if I didn't avail myself of his expertise.

When it comes to the daily driver(s), my choice has always been USAA
(United Services Auto. Assn.) out of San Antonio. Many years ago, it
used to be an exclusive insuror, open only to commissioned officers and
warrant officers of the U.S. Armed Forces. But nowadays I believe any-
one can "join." I remember when I was a cadet: two Army captains got
all the first classmen (seniors) together and touted USAA very highly.
Trusting their judgment, I signed on with USAA as my insuror. That was
nearly 50 years ago; I have never given any serious consideration to
any other insuror. This to the degree that I also carry my homeowners
insurance, personal articles floater...ALL my insurance needs (with the
exception of the Hagerty coverage) with them. Thankfully I haven't had
to present many claims over the years, but whenever I did, there was no
big hassle in arriving at a settlement.

The only other thing I can suggest is that this thread be either moved to,
or duplicated in, our other thread on Vendor Praises or Grievances.

All Z Best,...............................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)