Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wheel Widening
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:30 pm 

Been mulling this around for a while, but I figure I would put it out to the collective genius that is the CTZCC.

Anyone ever have a set of wheels widened? Looking for first hand experience on this one. I have spoken to people who boo-boo'd it, but none ever had actual experience. I was looking at www.weldcraftwheels.com for the service. They can do steel and aluminum and add up to 6"+ or narrow as needed. The service runs between $100-$200 a corner, and they guarantee that any wheel serviced will run out true. Ive been kicking it around because I really love the OEM sport package wheels but am craving something a little wider, but it might be a good option for those looking to keep a stock look on the older cars with a bit more room to add some sticky tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:23 am 

i've heard people talking about this, but never anyone who's actually had it done. my only concern, aside from the whole process sounding scary, would be that the mounting face and the outside of the wheel wouldn't change. extending the wheel further towards the center line of the car may propose clearance issues with suspension components. you could run spacers, but then you face having the wheel and tire protruding from the fenders/quarters, and i, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable driving with spacers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:26 am 

I've often considered doing this to my 81 turbo snowflakes. They could definitely use some widening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm 

CTS, the easiest way to get around that is with a set of hub-centric spacers. Ive run them in a number of applications and feel comfortable(to a certain point), but you do get what you pay for. IIRC for steel wheels and 2/3 piece, they can actually add material to the "face" area.
Talking to a local company about the ability to offer this service in the area. It would likely be more expensive, but the tech behind it is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm 

Sounds a bit unsettling to me. Why not just buy wider rims in the first place? I guess you'd really have to be in love with the current styling of your wheel do do something like add onto it, but in doing that you're changing its aspects... :?

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:01 pm 

Chris,
The company I am trying to get to produce this for me handles electron beam welding for everything from multi-ton turbines for hydroelectric facilities to jet turbines, the weld strength isn't a big concern :)
We are trying to dig up a source for both cast and forged barrel sections for the area to be added to make sure that strength is not an issue. Even with the TIG welded jobs, people have been running these in street, drag and race applications for years. Probably not the way to go for most folks, but if you are like me and LOVE the OEM Rays wheels, or you want a width in an aftermarket that is not available it should be a good way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:24 pm 

MadLarkin wrote:
Chris,
The company I am trying to get to produce this for me handles electron beam welding for everything from multi-ton turbines for hydroelectric facilities to jet turbines, the weld strength isn't a big concern :)
We are trying to dig up a source for both cast and forged barrel sections for the area to be added to make sure that strength is not an issue. Even with the TIG welded jobs, people have been running these in street, drag and race applications for years. Probably not the way to go for most folks, but if you are like me and LOVE the OEM Rays wheels, or you want a width in an aftermarket that is not available it should be a good way to go.

I'm sold.

-Chris