Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:30 pm 

Well i thought I'd stop by and share my progress on the S30.

Just finished a pita job of sound deadening the car. My dad did 99% of the work . Currently my car does not have any stereo equipment but i hope to put in a simple system later on down the road.

The sound deadening i used is called Rattle trap made by fatmat. I bought it on eBay; 100sqft shipped for $160. The mat stick very well to all surfaces. Also dont be fooled into thinking that this is a quick job that can be done in 1 afternoon. It take a good bit of time to make sure the surface is clean and ready for application and the pieces are cut well so everything fits together nicely with no wrinkles and huge overlaps at the edges.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

Can you guys recommend a good heat shield for the firewall and transmission tunnel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:28 pm 

Don't worry, the time invested in that installation is clearly visible! What a nice, precise job!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:36 pm 

phil280zxt wrote:
Don't worry, the time invested in that installation is clearly visible! What a nice, precise job!!

Amen to what Phil said. Would your Dad like to take on a side job when
we get a new floor panel in the '70?

But my question is, how well will the upholstery stick to that sound
deadener as compared to how it stuck to the original stuff? And how
well does it seal against moisture between it and the panel it insulates?

All Z Best,................................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:51 pm 

phil280zxt wrote:

thanx bro

Kathy & Rick wrote:
phil280zxt wrote:

Amen to what Phil said. Would your Dad like to take on a side job when
we get a new floor panel in the '70?

But my question is, how well will the upholstery stick to that sound
deadener as compared to how it stuck to the original stuff? And how
well does it seal against moisture between it and the panel it insulates?

All Z Best,................................Kathy & Rick

Well since the sound deadner has a aluminum backing i think the upholstery should have no problem sticking using some 3m adhesive. I'll let ya know how well it sticks once i get all my upholstery , panels and dash refinished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:26 pm 

Hey Logan! Great to hear from you again! Happy New Year. I've been watching Oklahoma on the weather channel to see what kind of a beating y'all are taking down there this winter.

This looks like a really professional job. I'm envious! I used some cheap heat insulating material from Home Depot, intended for wrapping heating and AC pipes in the house. It worked fine ~ actually deadened some road noise AND cut way down on the exhaust fumes I was getting in thru the rear taillight area. It was two sheets of tough aluminum sandwiching a sort of thin bubblewrap stuff. Worked OK for me for $30, but I sure didn't go to the extent you guys did.

The Fat Mat I originally intended to use was like a million dollars an ounce and wasn't flexible so I abandoned that idea and compromised. I was also able to apply some of this cheap stuff on the inside of each of the plastic panels which cover the cabin bulkheads and I think that will be OK for noise and temperature control. I really like how you guyz did the doors! I think I'll attempt that myself.

If you don't mind a suggestion, try using two-sided carpet tape to hold stuff down, instead of the spray adhesive. Sprays are flammable, smell pretty strong for a long time and make life miserable if you ever have to pull your carpet and insulation up for any reason. I got a really good (almost too good) sticky two-sided tape at Home Depot for $4 and it keeps everything in place.

Don't be a stranger! We need to follow your project more often ~ especially during the winter when we Yankees are buried in snow and can't get our carz out.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:31 pm 

And as an aside, that is the third type of vapor tank I've seen used on the early Z cars. I've seen black metal, black plastic, and yours.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:14 pm 

yup we are getting hit hard this winter but since i got a good project car to occupy my time I don’t really care.

I’ll look into the double sided tape you mentioned; it might be a good alternative to using the spray adhesive I had originally planed on putting down.

I'll keep you guys updated as i get more done on the car.

thanx
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm 

Frank T wrote:
And as an aside, that is the third type of vapor tank I've seen used on the early Z cars. I've seen black metal, black plastic, and yours.

Frank

Frank, the series one cars had a translucent white plastic vapor tank as you see in this car (they tend to yellow and turn brownish with age). Later cars had black metal vapor tanks (because they discovered that the plastic ones could crack). I have never seen a black plastic type from Nissan.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:29 pm 

UPDATE HEAT SHIELD INSTALLED

Just installed some heat shield. I use a product called Reflectix: Double Reflective Insulation that i bought from Home Depot ($25 for 50sqft).

I read a bunch of reviews from people on the Corvette forum who seem to have had very good results shielding the cabin from engine / exhaust and transmission heat.

http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Z19n/R-100052556/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Reflectix is very easy to work with and I with help from dear ol' dad managed to get the firewall, transmission tunnel and cabin floors done in about 3 hrs (Start to finish). I used 3M super 77 adhesive and Aluminum foil tape to stick and secure the Reflectix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:50 pm 

Yup! That's the exact stuff I used for my 240!

I wasn't aware that anyone else had been using it ~ I just stumbled over it at Home Depot and grabbed it, along with some really good two-sided carpet tape.

It really works, it's easy to work with, and it's cheap! I did a Post about it somewhere in these Forums, but forget now where I entered it.

One unexpected benefit for my car was that this stuff cut down on about 90% of the exhaust fumes I was getting back into the cabin. That's usually a sign of leaky gaskets around the tail lights, which I thought I had done a pretty good job of sealing in the first place. Apparently not.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 pm 

Thanks for the tip.

I need something to stop all the heat from the exhaust pipe that transmits to the transmissinon tunnel.

I cooked my right foot and leg while driving the 1100 miles down to ZDaZ at the "Tail of the Dragon".

I will install this material on my 280Z before iI go to the Z Convention this year.

1976 280Z ( My First Z, now parts car)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm 

Bill, you'll also be surpriZed at how different your car sounds after you use this stuff. I can hear my Twice Pipes from OUTSIDE the car now, rather than from inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm 

I got a special double face tape that we make at work that will withstand hot and cold temp under the carpeting.

I also got some of the "Discontinued" foil tape from our sample room.

I put my order in for some butyl rubber tape with foil, from our Canadian facility. Waiting on confirmation.

I just have to go to Home Depot for the Foil insulation

I want to install this before I put my new carpet in the 280Z for the Z Convention.

1976 280Z ( My First Z, now parts car)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm 

It's pretty easy work ~ the foil bends to fit everywhere. I especially like the application on these doors, and will be doing that to my car, too. Great idea.

Only "trouble" I had was cutting and fitting pieces for the weird shape of the cargo deck corners, around the shock towers. I wanted to keep the insulation pieces in one long strip if possible, but that area required me to piecemeal the job. I ran the strips fore-and-aft; maybe if I had run them side-to-side it would have used less material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:22 am 

Just wanted to bump this thread up to the top of the stack because I told another member about it, and I want him to find it easily.

(ZMan, this is the stuff many of us are using now, called REFLECTIX).

Frank