Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:14 am 

I know I've been driving my 280Z on very old tires for years. When I saw that one of them was flat recently, I decided it was time to upgrade. I've always liked the look of the Panasports so I think I am going to upgrade both the wheels and the tires. I will keep the stock wheels of course since they are near mint and are original to the car.

So I need some help / suggestions / opinions:

Should I go with 14, 15, 16 inch wheels?
What tires do people recommend? (this car only sees about 1,000 miles per year)
Any suggestions on where to buy the wheels other than Motorsport?

Motorsport sometimes offers a tire / wheel combo so I was thinking of doing that possibly. I have found that if you buy new wheels and take them someplace locally to mount the tires, they chew up the rims because they don't have great equipment.

Motorsport's Panasport wheels are at the following link but they appear to be out of stock.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PFW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:02 pm 

Hey Ross. Fine choice of wheel IMHO (= I prefer them in 15" or 16". If you're looking for sticky rubber, the Falken Azenis seem to be a popular choice.

Try http://www.classicdatsun.com/ ...I believe the fellow's name is Les...he seems to be the go-to guy for Datsun fitment Panasports.

Your 280z is too nice for my spare set of race Panasports, but should the need arise... :lol:
http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=3751

Good Luck!
Colin

PS - I'm sure you're aware, but there are also these knock-offs from Rota, which look good to me:
http://www.rotawheel.com/rb1.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:13 pm 

Budget?
Performance?
Style?
Driving Style?

I'm a huge fan of Watanabe's, which are just like the panasports, and if your on a budget with low funds, Rota makes look-a-like wheels now that mirror them, but are heavy. Ebay is your best source for new stuff at somewhat a decent price. If you have a high budget, then the top of list will be Ray's Volk Racing, but some people find it hard to spend over $600 a wheel, but the strength, razor sharp accuracy, looks, lightness for speed or MPG is worth it. Not too many manufacturers will mic out wheels for inspection.. http://www.volkwheels.ca/volk-racing-video-p-5507.html

AE86 guys love wheels, and here's a good page to browse when you have time. http://forums.club4ag.com/zeroforum?id=22

And here the A-Z on cool wheels...
http://www.ratdat.com/?page_id=101

My list if I was shopping..

Volks
Watanabe
CCW
Advan
Panasport
Rota
steelies

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 am 

Thanks for the comments. Given the infrequent use of this car and other demands on my money I defintely do not want to go high-end. I was thinking about $2-300 / wheel plus the cost of tires. I do not tax the car at all - pushing it to 70mph on the highway at the most. Given that the car is almost completely original, I am always afraid of something letting loose if I take turns at too high a speed. "Normal" non-agressive driving would be my style for this car. I'm basically just looking for a low maintenance wheel, easy to clean that will preserve it's looks and is reasonably priced. Ross

Post subject: wheels
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:09 pm 

hey ross, i bought a set of rota wheels for my car because they were 500.00 and look just like panasports, so that makes them less than half price.they are on ebay under parts for zcars. they came as described and not damaged. very happy with my purchase. i bought goodyear gt tires locally and they mounted them with a special machine for mag wheels and tape on weights. the size i bought was 15x7 and 215-60-15 tires. no rub, but fill the wheel well. my other set of wheels are the rewinds that i bought from msa. they fit well also and are sized 16x7 and 215-55-16 generals. they are not wearing as well as the gts, but grip very well. those wheels were 550.00 plus shipping. the other wheels had no shipping charges. hope i didn't confuse you about choices. mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm 

MSA has the set of rewinds on sale now; I just ordered a set of the gunmetal color for my car. The price is especially good with them because they include lug nuts and z-car emblem center caps, which you would pay at least another 100 bucks for if you got them separately.
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/WWC001H/25-1067

Last edited by Mark C on Wed May 06, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 pm 

Thanks all for the comments. Appreciate the input. Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:42 pm 

Watanabe R-Types would be at the top of my list. But they're hard to find and pricey to boot. :?

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:56 am 

OK, based upon my styling preferences and budget I am probably going to go with the following wheels:

http://www.wheelsforless.com/detail.aspx?ID=2513

They come with chrome stems, chrome lug nuts and center caps. $605 for the four of them with free shipping.

I saw these wheels on Steve Sunbury's 280 at the last meeting and thought they were stunning - see picture.

Question that Wheels for Less did not know the answer to:

Is the bolt pattern on the 280 4/4.5 or 4/4.25?

Thanks, Ross

Attachments:
DSC_4256.JPG
DSC_4256.JPG [ 73.66 KiB | Viewed 10573 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 am 

4x4.5 which is the same as 4x114.3,

And I still have the 14x8's slotted mags, just needs tires.

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm 

Thanks AJ. Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 pm 

Thoze will look nize on the Black Pearl!

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:11 am 

OK, new wheels have been ordered from Wheels for Less and will be arriving sometime in 7 to 10 days. If you are looking for wheels, this place is pretty good - free shipping and center caps, chrome stems / lugs included in price.

So now its on to the next step. Any recommendations on tires? Keep in mind that the car only travels about 500 to 1,000 miles a year and I don't travel at speeds greater than 70 mph. I'm just looking for an overall good performing tire at a reasonable price that will have some longevity to it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 am 

Based on VERY biased personal experience and what I've read, I would prefer the Goodyear Eagle series or the PotenZa or Watanabes ("Wannabees"). But they all exceed the performance characteristics you'll need for a mostly-show car, and the prices reflect their prowess.

Considering a reasonable-looking, reasonably sticky, reasonable-wear, reasonably-priced tire which won't be winter-driven, I choZe the top of the B.F. Goodrich line. Goodyear didn't make an Eagle in my rimsiZe and I ran across a Marine in the Goodrich supply chain who gave me four new ones at a price I couldn't walk away from ~ it even beat our great sponsor's 10% discount price.

Using the handy date-code trick you taught us, Ross, I determined my tires were less than 3 months old when I bought them.

Back in the Day I had thin white sidewalls on my 5-slot Mags, and I liked my Z that way. Not available today, darnit.

Attachments:
IMGA0481.JPG
IMGA0481.JPG [ 56.51 KiB | Viewed 10539 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 am 

Thanks Frank. Given the low mileage and non-winter use, I like your BF Goodrich suggestion. Could you tell me the model name of the tire you bought? Or are they with the car at Vinny's? If that is the case, maybe you could lift the name off the receipt if it is available. Thanks, Ross