Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:39 pm 

I posted this info in our Tech Talk a few years ago, but now I want it here in our WTB marketplace. I really want a set of these on my Z:

When I was a kid back in the late Chrome Age, SU carburettors made a twin-choke (dual-throat) performance carb called the SU DU6. Some of them had a single dome and later models had dual domes, but all had twin 1-3/4" throats.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4108 ... rbsxv9.jpg

These were popular for competition use and I recall zeeing them on some Lotus7s and Cooper Climax formula cars of the late 1950s. They made little 4-banger DOHC engines think they were Superman and they were very popular for awhile. SU only made a couple batches of them (about 50 units, total), then discontinued them in the early 60s because they were not financially viable. Altho they ran fine on the street, they were so costly that only a handful of racers ever bought them.

I've been toying with the idea of mounting a set of these dual-throats on my Z for quite some time. I was thrilled today to hear that SU (now Burlen) is considering a re-run of these great little carbs.

If I used three of them, they would (might) equal a set of triple Webers with half the tuning hassles. Dave Russell went thru a lot of trouble to make a triple SU setup for his Z, because he had to fabricate a way of arranging clearance for a third floatbowl. If they reintroduced the DU-6, that would no longer be a problem.

If anyone has any leads to help me find a set of these, please Sound Off?

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments:
I want!!!.jpg
I want!!!.jpg [ 358.6 KiB | Viewed 3307 times ]
Twin DU6s.jpg
Twin DU6s.jpg [ 131.11 KiB | Viewed 3307 times ]
DU6 .jpg
DU6 .jpg [ 8.77 KiB | Viewed 3307 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:47 am 

Good luck finding those, if only 50 units were made. I have an idea I will share with you, not mine, and not the first, but use the large Jaguar H8 carbs, and probably easier to find. I think I have one some where's. :?