Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 pm 

This is a picture of how it looks.

240z hagerty 050 by Rob Olejniczak, on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

No arguments there. The Holley pulls like no tomorrow and I think I can get from 0-60 in the high 5 second range if I get a nice launch and bury the pedal (compared to 8 or more seconds with my bone stock 260 w/ round or flat tops). Ive got a lot on my plate right now so Im just trying to get the car back on the road right now but I might go back to a Holley or for triples in the future when I have time to learn how they work.

When I first drove the car back from NY I got ~22mpg doing 65 the entire way back (very unscientific with my overflowing/spilling fuel filler neck). I filled up before I left and when I got back home). Even granny shifting cant help my horrific in town fuel economy and on one trip doing over 65 I killed half a tank.

rob240z, The other set im looking at is a completely rebuilt set w/ intakes but im worried about the throttle shafts and that I might need to adjust them frequently. The last set of round tops that I got off of ebay needed to be adjusted every time I drove the car and frequently the nozzles would get stuck a little bit out when releasing the choke. Appearance doesnt really matter to me because the a dirty set will feel at home in my engine bay. Ill keep an eye out for the FS thread but im interested in the price from the intake to air cleaner, and the 240Z conversion distributor (im sure it wouldnt be too much work to slap some points on if it ever fails).

Current state:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:39 pm 

Porkbun,

I've tried to look at what other people have been paying to come up with a price. I think $250 seems fair for everything including the distributer and electronic ignition. What do you think?

If you put this set on your car, to make tuning easier I would just leave the settings as is for a little bit. They are set very well for a stock setup. I used to have problems with the carbs going out of sync frequently on my first car. What I found I was doing wrong was to adjust the carbs when it was running poorly. I always went to adjusting the carbs first (wrong). The Key is to get everything else tuned up and adjusted and then adjust the carbs last. Once they're set in that scenario they shouldn't need to be adjusted again. If the car starts to run poorly again after that it is probably from something else. My biggest problem was that I had never adjusted my valves. Once I learned to adjust my valves first the carb adjustment was very easy and stayed in sync. Plugs are always toasty brown when I check them now.

On these carbs I've only had the chokes stick partially open once. I had no idea what is was at first, It just started running very bad. I nursed the car home and then figured out what it was. It was actually a relief that it wasn't something worse and I felt a little stupid. The cables were sticking and needed some lube. The cables are cracked a little and I think that caused it. That hasn't happened again since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:52 pm 

$250 sounds much better than what I was thinking about paying for the other set. Completely forgot about choke cables since this holley has an electric choke! How much more could I snag the choke cables and lever for?

Makes sense that they wouldnt run properly if everything else wasnt set up properly. Tried lubing everything and they would still stick. I think it was the tube going from the float to the nozzle which was messing with the way things worked. Hopefully I can move some stuff this week to get the money for the carbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:09 pm 

I'm planning on using the choke cable and lever in my setup. I really like having a manual choke. My cables are old and cracked anyway. I heard that you can have a lawnmower shop make up a new cable that will work well for cheap. They use mower throttle cable, which is good for pushing and pulling. You will need to find the lever though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:12 pm 

rob240z wrote:
I'm planning on using the choke cable and lever in my setup. I really like having a manual choke. My cables are old and cracked anyway. I heard that you can have a lawnmower shop make up a new cable that will work well for cheap. They use mower throttle cable, which is good for pushing and pulling. You will need to find the lever though.

No problem, I actually know someone else who is selling the cables and lever but I thought id see if you would sell them to me so I wouldnt have to go to two different sources. Just waiting for the holley, adapter, and my laptop to sell now but I get my paycheck on friday if theres no action by then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

I'm glad you have another source for the choke setup. They are not easy to find normally. I'm not in a big rush and I can hold everything for you. Are you close to RI? Or is this something you would want shipped? It would be pretty big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:43 pm 

rob240z wrote:
I'm glad you have another source for the choke setup. They are not easy to find normally. I'm not in a big rush and I can hold everything for you. Are you close to RI? Or is this something you would want shipped? It would be pretty big.

I was about to say id make the drive up there but then I remembered that my car is awaiting a carb transplant :roll:. Guess id need to have it shipped even though itll be a bit pricey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:02 pm 

If he wants to meet me in Groton, I will pick them up for you and bring them as far as West Haven for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:17 pm 

Let me see how much it would be to ship first. My van is a gas guzzler and to Groton and back is about 100 miles. That's about $40 in gas. Maybe shipping will be less. I don't mind the drive though. If my wife doesn't have plans I might be able to take the Mini. That would cost a lot less. Normally I would take my 240 for something like that, but the engine is out and will be a few weeks before the new motor is in. I shipped a complete N42 intake to Texas a month ago for $25. I would think this should be close to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:31 pm 

You could probably ship the Mini Cooper to Porkbun for about $50 :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:46 pm 

No kidding! It's actually a really fun car to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:32 pm 

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:50 pm 

Holley stuff sold! Sent you a PM Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm 

Mannn, ya gotta love this Club! 8)