Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: T3/T4 turbo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:25 pm 

So I've got two stock L28ET turbos, one that's blown and spraying oil, too much play in the turbine, the other has enough play that the compressor turbine touches the housing. If anyone has any info on a GOOD turbo, stock L28ET or (preferably) a T3/T4 hybrid, I'd like to know. There's a lot of turbos on ebay, but sad to say a $1500 garret is way out of my price range and a $299 ebay mystery brand is still a little more than I'd like to drop at the moment.

I'm not being terribly picky, I just want something that will work for a bit and not grenade my whole engine with compressor blade shrapnel. Needs to be able to bolt up to the stock L28ET exhaust manifold and have a four bolt pattern on the downpipe flange. Don't care if its internally or externally wastegated.

Any info would be appreciated.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:08 pm 

Phrog,

I'm almost in the market for a t3/04e myself. I conversed via email with a gentleman from this web site and also read good things about them. Their prices sound reasonable too.

http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm 

The link isn't working for me...

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 am 

I can't help you with the turbo, but I thought I'd mention that a T4 compressor 's larger diameter usually makes a T3/T4 impossible to directly mount into place of the stock turbo. It needs a spacer on the exhaust flange and it's a crapshoot as to whether the exhaust will still fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:28 am 

I've taken that into account. I'm actually more worried about the space between the turbo and the shock tower, if I get the spacer/flange for an external wastegate.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:42 pm 

Try this link,

http://www.blaastperformance.com/

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a t3/04e from www.blaastperformance.com this spring. The owner, Guillaume Nadeau, and I exchanged several emails regarding the upgrade. Now bear in mind that this is for my stock 280zxt T3. He stated that because the turbine side remains a T3, it will bolt right up to the stock 280zxt manifold and downpipe. The compressor side however is slightly larger and will require and custom pipe between the AFM and turbo inlet. He stated that no spacers are needed. I plan to use the internal wastegate. Here is the text of his email.

"Yes, the proposed t3/t4 turbo is bolt on to the z28 / z 31. It has the same T3 inlet flange and the same 7 bolts discharge.
no spacers are needed between the manif and turbo because the compressor is a bout 1" more in overall diameter only. (the impeller in it however is MUCH larger!)

280 HP is the max HP of your stock turbo which means that at 280HP, it's maxxed out and a larger one would perform better.
So no, the t3/t4 upgrade is not overkill for any power goal in excess of say, 250 HP because even at the stock boost setting, such t3/t4 would perform better than the stock one by giving you better top ends.
Now that you confirm shooting for only 280-320 hp, I would rather suggest the T04e 46 trim. It will spool up faster while still flowing some 40 hp over your goal, so it's never gonna be maxxed out.

We can credit you up to 100$ for your old turbo whenever you send it as a core return..".

The price he quoted me ni March was "T04e 50 trim with .63 a/R turbine that's BOLT ON to your Z car. it's 550$ for the watercooled one with the T4 wastegate actuator preset for 11-12 psi." Less the $100 core charge.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 am 

Thanks again for the advice, phil. And the link works this time! I wonder if they'll give me $200 off purchase if I supply two 280zxT cores, lol.

Custom piping will not be a problem, heh heh... 8)

The only problem regarding piping though is that the stock T3 turbine housing has a four bolt pattern for the downpipe, most of the turbos displayed on his website are some crazy 5 bolt or more patterns. I'm not sure yet, but maybe if I decide to run an external wastegate I could just weld up the trap door in the stock internal wastegate and remove the rest of the mechanism, keeping the 4 bolt pattern.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08 am 

Hmmm, he mentioned that the downpipe flange would match the stock downpipe in his email. You should email him with your questions. I corresponded with him and he always responded within an hour, was very forth coming with information and appeared very Z knowledgible.

I think his prices are lower then most because these are rebuilt, not brand spanking new...