Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:39 am 

I have my 240 shell up on the rotisserie and had to cut out the inner fender, battery tray, and part of the firewall due to acid corrosion. If anyone has a parts car they can cut up, or if anyone knows of a junker somewhere, or a junkyard where I could find it, please let me know. I can pay or can trade (I have extra door shells and fenders around to trade, or just about anything else you can think of). Thanks Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:07 am 

Mark,

Not sure where Frank T is, but I'm sure he'll respond eventually. He has a 71 parts car that may have some of the sheetmetal you're looking for. He's been parting it out to members. Shoot him a PM and ask!!

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm 

Here I am!

Been to Rochester, Syracuse, Schenectady and Albany for the past few days and just returned. You know the Club mail got checked before my seabag got unpacked! :lol:

I have a 1971 parts car which might (might) fit this bill. Let me get out there in tmrw's sunlight an Post you a picture of this area to see if it interests you.

Gotta go unpack that laundry ~

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02 am 

OK, I wanted to wait for more sunlight but the forecast is bad and it's actually getting darker this soon, so here are my quick amateur attempts.

The area appears ("appears") sound, but I didn't probe the surface rust to see if it went thru or not. The undercarriage of this car is fatally rusted, so I decided to part it out. I'm not making any profit on this car ~ any and all partZ sold will be for the benefit of the Club kitty (You can read the background about it all in the thread "CAN THIS 1971 240Z BE SAVED?" if you're interested).

If I have to carve that corner out (never done it before) with my Dremmel, it will cost you a check for $35, made out to the CTZCC for "car parts". And I hope you're not in a huge hurry ~ I'm still waiting for good enough weather to take other Members' parts off it, and they come first.

Let me know?

Frank T

*(OK, disregard this photo ~ I took 9 shots of the corner and my computer is now letting me load only the worst one. I will try again and post better pictures ~ you can't tell much from this blurry shot. I've reached my Maximum Personal Torque level and need to defuse for awhile before trying it again).

OK ~ better camera and a tripod; let's see if this is any better:

Attachments:
IMGA0383.JPG
IMGA0383.JPG [ 56.84 KiB | Viewed 7606 times ]
IMGA0380.JPG
IMGA0380.JPG [ 56.52 KiB | Viewed 7606 times ]
IMGA0379.JPG
IMGA0379.JPG [ 56.56 KiB | Viewed 7607 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:01 pm 

Another thought, Mark ~

CHICK's junkyard in Wallingford has four Series-1 Z cars available, if you prefer to carve your own turkey. He's pricey but friendly, and he knows about us (CTZCC).

Also ~ I'm searching for the nylon (plastic) hold-down clips for the 1970 (only) inspection hood doors. If you have two or more of them in usable condition, I'll carve this corner out for you with my K-Bar if I have to ~ EVEN TRADE! :lol:

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:27 pm 

Frank,I hope that by "Dremel" you mean "angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade"! It would take you all week to cut that out with a Dremel! Where is the car located? If there is electricity available I might come out with either my angle grinder or with my compressor and cutoff saw(or both) and cut it out myself. Maybe I'll bring my sawzall too. I don't mind working in cold weather, I grew up in Minnesota...I am just about finished with all the other metal work on my shell and am thinking I could start painting in the next few days if I get the firewall and fender area back together, so I am in a bit of a hurry. What else needs to be taken out?
I don't have any 70 parts, including the clips you need, but I think I have a spare set of inspection doors that have the later metal clips. I don't know if that helps.
A couple folks have asked for a picture of my ride. Here is one I bought for parts in New Jersey. I did the paint myself. The hood flew off the car and was never seen again while I was driving it home. I don't think it's ready for your calendar. The engine, tranny, and rear end from this car were nearly perfect and are all ready to go in my shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:13 pm 

Cool picture! I think I shot one of those just outside of Yuma one year?

I will get back to you on the timing of cutting the fender out ~ other factors are involved just now. I'll adviZe you off-screen on your Email or PM.

Thanks anyway for the inspection door clips ~ I'm getting accustomed to living in deprivation, anyway. I also have two metal-clip doors, which I guess I will simply have louvered at MSD or Black Dragon, and use them. The fender "hooks" they fasten onto are slightly different in the later years, but the 70's can be bent a little to make them work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 pm 

Mark ~ trying to reach you on Private Messaging. Look at the top of the page in any Forum. Click on "You have 1 New Message"

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 am 

Frank, you still there? I pm'd ya a while ago...my home phone is 860-228-2818

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:03 pm 

Still here! No luck on your cell (dead zone) and left msg on your home phone. I will try later ~ two birthdays this weekend and I might be out of state.

Do you think you could use this corner section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:03 pm 

frank you left a message but no number! I was home, too, but working out in the garage and for some silly reason my girlfriend refuses to answer the phone when she doesn't know who it is.And yes, I think I can use the whole corner, it certainly looks repairable.