Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Need VG30DE and tranny
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:02 am 

I need a VG30DE and 5 speed tranny. or i just need a reference to someone who knows a lot about these cars and can tell me if I should buy a new engine or just fix the one I have...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:53 am 

Welcome, Rocker!

Well, the good news is you've found your way into the right neighborhood. This Club has about 200 members, more than 1/2 of them are active on this Website, and several dozen of those have ZX cars! The bad news is ~ it ain't me, babe. I'm an old 240 guy.

BUT ~ we have LOTS of members who have torn these cars apart at home (some in their livingrooms:lol:) and can answer just about any Q&A you can throw at them. I recommend you speak with Paul Mackin, Tom Wasney, AirJockie, Barry(NJ) or Mike Englehardt to start with. (Paul and AJ make their livings as mechanics, and Mike & Tom seem to be in some sort of competition to see which one can own and rebuild more Z cars than the other, and Barry lives UNDER his car, not in it).

Once they help you decide what's needed for your ZX, we have some solid, trusted references for professional shops if you don't want to do it yourself. Our member Vinny Bedini runs a full-service engine shop in the New Milford area, and RDZ (Research and Development for the Z) is in roughly the same area. RDZ can give you expert advice on WHAT to do to your ZX, then do it for you. Both those members are CTZCC sponsors, and have links on our Homepage. Press on their link on the left margin to contact them.

I recommend you also go to our TECH TALK forum and roughly describe what's happening with your ZX. That will open up a lengthy discussion which will help you meet the gang and maybe help you decide what to do. Of course, if someone simply sells you an engine and 5spd here on this forum, it could save you a lot of typing elsewhere! :lol:

Welcome again, good luck, and Rock On!

Z Ya later~
Frank T
MembershipDirector
(Frank@CTZCC.Com)

Last edited by Frank T on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 am 

What's wrong with them? Timing belt broke? Inputshaft bearing noisy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 pm 

it has been burning oil from bad piston rings that push oil past the piston thru the rings and leaking thru the valve seals and guides...causeing it to burn oil... the bottom of the engine is pretty messy from a power steering leak and theres a oil leak splattering oil everywhere so some seals need to be replaced.... just recently the belt that spins around my altenator just broke...now to the tranny... the syncros in 1st and 2nd need to be replaced because when the car is rolling to a stop or close to a stop you can't downshift to first....when i pull out of my driveway for the first time of the day it engages rough into 2nd.... thats basically about all thats wrong besides some p/s rack boot on the right side is torn and my front L and R upper links are pretty worn... o ya and my clutch has about and inch and a half of play probaly because of a leaking slave cylinder.........its a work in progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 pm 

how can i get in touch with any of these people....Paul Mackin, Tom Wasney, AirJockie, Barry(NJ) or Mike Englehardt.... so they are mechanics who work on Z's on the side...? I need all this work done but not at the price of a pro tuner shop... im lookin for people who do the work on the side and for a reasonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 am 

Rocker ~
They might not answer you on this thread because this Forum is for Buying, and your specific questions about fixing a car should be in TECH TALK forum, BUT ~
Go to the top of this page and press MEMBERLIST. These guys are numbers 5, 19, 35, 51 and 80. If you press their "PM" buttons, you can send them free Private Messages directly.
It would be more fun for us if you moved the questions to the TECH TALK forum, where we could all learn from their responses.

*(And by the way, I never said they would DO this work for you ~ but they probably know how you should approach it!)

Good luck / thanks for Posting ~
Frank T