Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: looking for a new Z
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:48 pm 

Hey everyone! I recently sold my white 260z that most of you probably don't know because I broke down on more than half the trips to the annual ctzcc meets since 2016. After deciding to replace the floor pans due to rust I discovered the previous owner had riveted metal over all the common spots then bondo and painted the whole car. I learned to weld and started the repairs and got as far as doing both floors a rocker and a dogleg before realizing I won't finish the rest, repaint and reassemble the car anytime soon and gave up on the restoration. That brings me here, regretting the loss of my z and looking for a new one. I don't particularly care about paint, definitely don't want nor can I afford a show car. All I want is a z that's structurally sound that I can drive. Please let me know if you have or know of any cars that might fit that bill!

Post subject: Re: looking for a new Z
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 am 

Aside from anything else that might become of your post, I want to congratulate you on your single-handed efforts to save an old Z.

Learning to weld is no small step; I took professional classes in school and set myself and my surroundings on fire more often than not. And that was using existing professional equipment others had paid for; I didn't even have to pay for the damage I did. So applause for that.

And I also applaud you for exploring the intricate details of Z construction. People can describe what you might find until you're tired of hearing them, but the first time you get under there and try putting one back together, you will understand for yrslf how many other ways there might have been to build this car. (The tail-end for example, where the fenders and rear meet, is a series of layered, concentric sheets of .027mm steel which is a nightmare to work with).

We salute you for 6 years of self-education on these wonderful/horrible cars, and for whatever miles you added to the odometer of your 260. Thanks for extending its life by at least that much; I hope the new owner joins the Club and continues your dedicated efforts.

The 260 is the rarest early Z, having been made for only 1-1/2 years (one calendar year) in this country. Other countries kept their 260s much longer, as the 280 was delayed for them. Thus, 260 parts are more abundant overseas than they might be here. And the 260 enjoyed two stages of existence; the first as a lightweight carburetted sportscar, and the second as a heavier, better-braced, better insulated, fuel-injected and air-conditioned fledgling GT car. The 2.6L engine was nearly "square" in bore and stroke, so it had potential to out-rev either the older 240 or the newer 280 engines (well beyond redline). Bob Sharp broke a lot of standing track records in the year he raced the 260 2+2.

The 260 was also the first exploration into the more-rigid, 4-seat, automatic, air conditioned cruisers suitable for mom, the kids, and the dog. Due to that role most 260s were not "hot-rodded" or modified much over the years. Thus, your chances of finding an unmolested, solid 260 are FAR better than finding a 240.
Some air-conditioned, power-steering, automatic 2+2 260 will very probably become history's very last existing Z car in the distant future.

I don't mean to distract from the purpose of your Post, and I trust you will find a good suitable driver in time for the upcoming 2024 Zeason. But please don't discount the very unique and historically important car you already sold. It enjoys a very special place in Z history, and should be afforded much respect on top of the love you have already showed it.

A cautionary reminder tho, is that the 240Z prices have gone NUTS over the past 3 years. Not to say good deals can't be found, but many good 240s have sold for 6 figures at good auctions. You might actually find a quicker, more satisfying deal on another better-built, smoother riding 260. Don't limit your options. :wink: :thumbs_up:

Frank T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:33 am 

You speak the truth Frank, that rear fender corner where the floor behind the seat, jacking point, inner rocker, outer rocker and dogleg all overlap was not fun. I did learn so much from that car and a young man named John from New Jersey is enthusiastically picking up where I left off.

There is a '73 240 for sale in my price range near me but its in the same or worse condition than my 260 and I'm not sure I want to start from scratch again so soon. I have been following the rising and rising price of the show car condition 240z and while I envy the investment some peoples cars have become it would scare me to drive such a nice example.

I actually do prefer the 260 because of the lower cost and alot of the purists turn their noses up at the less desirable middle Z Child. I just missed a reasonably priced early 260z in MA around the same time I was selling mine, so the search continues.

Oh I should mention all the welding I did was in my wooden post and beam garage and I have a fire extinguisher just about every 5 feet :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:22 pm 

:lol:
:thumbs_up: :wink: :thumbs_up:

OK, so, who has a spare 240 laying around for Fast Kid to build?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:49 pm 

By the way, there's no limit to what you can do with the 260 engine. Vinny Bedini can put in some hi-compression pistons, a tricked-out head and a larger cam, and add a set of Webers or Solex and you'd have yrslf a beast with a stronger body than the 240. And if he bored it you could match or exceed the capacity of the 280 engines (the 260 is already just a stroked 240). Hotter ignition, higher compression and better induction system makes the 260 a real barn-burner.

Yes, the body weighs a little more but it is far more rigid than the 240 and not as prone to flexing. But the horsepower boost can easily overcome that added weight and if you use the older skinny bumpers, you can park your 260 proudly beside any old Z cars.

JP260Z had a really nice early 260 down in Pennsylvania a few years back, which was coming along really well. But he let a family member make some modification to the car which didn't meet with his approval, so he let it go. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:00 am 

I remember seeing JP260z post a bunch when I first joined, I sense a story there about a family member modding the car. That's a shame what ever it is, I hope he can find another one if that's what he wants.

Speaking of Vinny I'm sure he has a spare old race car or 2 he could get rid of, that would be a fun project to return to street spec :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:33 pm 

Well, he might. But even if Vinny has a "spare" Z car, it's always many times harder to revert a race car back into a street car, than to make a street car into a race car.

Think you were having trouble getting your 260 the way you wanted it?
Try getting a dedicated race car to pass CT street inspection again. :roll:
Easier (and maybe cheaper) to just buy a Dodge Hellcat and be done with it.
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:06 pm 

I would much rather the challenge of reverting a race car to street car than deal with rust again 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:42 am 

I will start this by saying good luck with your hunt! And as you have already figured out buy the cleanest most complete example you can!

I would actually counter Frank’s point about registering a race car in CT- unless things have changed- as long as it has a VIN visible on the dash its quite easy as CT does not have inspections for the old cars - so if the car has not been registered in CT in the last 5-10 years it will just need a VIN verification that can be done at any emissions testing facility; they will literally just read the VIN and give you a print out. You will need a temp registration to do that, so it does require a couple trips to the DMV. Although maybe you need to get it inspected with out a prior registration? I don’t know. I’ve always had a tittle or prior registration to go with the Bill of Sale.

As you know deals need to be acted on quickly, but they are out there.

Do you have a tow vehicle? (Truck,SUV, etc?) U-haul local (pick up and drop off at the same location) is like $70 a day with insurance. I prefer to drag the trailer all the way down with me so that it is guaranteed I’ll have it and won’t have to drive around to pick it up.

If your willing to drive a little bit - keep an eye out down in the Maryland area. I have now picked up both my 510 and Z from the Baltimore area- and both pretty solid. I have a theory that they have access to the true southern cars and then they bring them up to them. Which makes it just close enough for us to reach in a day or single overnight trip. Of course a truck and trailer makes that all easier.

One last place- if you check on the S30 Life facebook group there is a guy named Harold Burroughs- he is in central MA and does a lot of Z work- he might have a few projects he’s willing to part with. I think he just sold a decent 280.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:05 pm 

I have been up to Harold's. I missed out on an early 260z by a week or 2 and he had an orange 280z that was a bit too far gone for me.

On Wednesday another 260 came up for sale In Syracuse, I drove up after work that day for a total drive of 9 hours! I said I would come back Sunday to pick it up and he agreed. On Thursday I messaged him to say I had the truck and trailer all lined up and he said ok great see you sunday! On Saturday I picked up my coworkers truck and filled it up with gas. And this morning I messaged him and said I'm on my way to pick up the trailer and he messaged back and said sorry I sold it to someone else. Needless to say I'm pretty upset about it. It's tough out there.

I'll keep my eye out in Maryland thats a great tip, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:25 pm 

Thefastkid wrote:
I have been up to Harold's. I missed out on an early 260z by a week or 2 and he had an orange 280z that was a bit too far gone for me.

On Wednesday another 260 came up for sale In Syracuse, I drove up after work that day for a total drive of 9 hours! I said I would come back Sunday to pick it up and he agreed. On Thursday I messaged him to say I had the truck and trailer all lined up and he said ok great see you sunday! On Saturday I picked up my coworkers truck and filled it up with gas. And this morning I messaged him and said I'm on my way to pick up the trailer and he messaged back and said sorry I sold it to someone else. Needless to say I'm pretty upset about it. It's tough out there.

I'll keep my eye out in Maryland thats a great tip, thanks.

That’s a bummer- people can be such flakes…. I got lucky with mine. It popped up on Facebook on a Saturday morning and I messaged the guy with my number saying I was really interested, been looking for a while and thought his might be the right car and to call me. Sure enough he did I asked him a few questions and he said I was the first person who actually seemed truely interested in the car and not just flipping it or what ever. He took about 20 photos the next day and I said I’m in. No hassle no haggle. He held it for me till the next weekend- said he had 20 people bugging him about it… but he really wanted it to go to a good home.

So keep the faith! They are out there. Took me a year to find my 510 ten years ago and a good 6 months once I decided to really look at a Z. Passed up on a few before that I definitely should have hopped on…

I used a 500 mile radius for me that was about a 2 day trip: one down and one back. I’ve got a truck so that simplifies things but there are options out there.

I’m up just north of Boston if anything pops I can try and help.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:17 pm 

Just saw this 280 popped up on VT. SR swap is hit or miss… but if it actually runs the engine and trans are worth a few thousand on the second hand market if you wanted to swap an L back into it.

https://www.facebook.com/share/DKEbioY5 ... tid=79PoIi

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:52 pm 

The seller probably did you a favor. Having lived in Syracuse (back when it was still habitable) I can attest they salt the roads heavier than anyplace else East of the Mississippi, and car life there is visibly shorter than in most other places.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:43 pm 

Here’s one in VT with an RB20det in it- definitely a project… it’s bounced through a couple hands in the last couple years I think. Same deal though- if running that RB and trans are worth a few thousand on the second hand market if you wanted to go a different route.

https://www.facebook.com/share/j5HjpabL ... tid=79PoIi

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:48 pm 

Posting up another one that just popped up- in case OP or anyone else here is still looking

A potentially clean looking blue 280z - I really dig this light blue color.

Shirley Ny

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Qih8i7 ... tid=79PoIi

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z