Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 pm 

Anyone having interest in my '74 260 roadster conversion please speak up.
We just purchased a home on Lake Oconee in GA and I'm not sure yet if the
Z is going down there when we make a move. Not putting any detail our yet.
Those who know the car come 1st. BTW, I'm not sure it will actually go up for
sale.

We have 5 vehicles that need to go to GA. 4 to ship. Anyone have good info on
a cost effective reliable shipper?

Jack Durand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:00 pm 

["Anyone have good info on a cost effective reliable shipper?"]

Not offhand, but I'd sure drive that roadster down there for ya.

Having gone thru the car-hauler search a few years ago (trying to get Lucky 13 down to Nashville), I learned that the cheapest transporters are small-business family independent haulers. A dad and his sons owning a car carrier are easier to work with and cheaper to hire than any of the big professional companies are. A family up here would pick up and haul your cars to the destination and charge you only that number of one-way miles.

The Pros charge you from port-to-port (you pay for them to come back) and put more burden on you than they bear themselves; cars must be completely empty (no cargo, no car parts, only 1gal of fuel) and some companies require them to be dry. You have to sign for the car when it arrives; that means you have to be at the receiving end when the car gets there, and they make no other options. Further, they give themselves a 3-day window to deliver to you, so you're stuck at your new home waitiing for the truck. Only the registered owner can sign for the car. Independent carriers don't seem to care about that so much.

Pros (e.g. Horseless Carriage) usually charge more for enclosed transporters than for open carry, but "enclosed" could legally mean just a canvas "circus tent" cover zipping all around the trailer. Your cars still get road dirt and rain spray inside. The Pros charge so much, Rick decided to have a custom trailer made for #13 and bought a brand-new diesel truck to pull it with. That obviously cost more than any transporter would have charged, but at least he had something to show for his money and HE sets his own departure/arrival schedules when he wants to show the car anyplace.

My recommendation would be searching for independent car haulers and see what kind of bargain they would make to haul your 4 cars. AmTrak also has car trains which will flatbed or boxcar your vehicles up or down the coast; popular with snowbirds.

Thanks for offering us first chance at your Roadster before posting it on z-Bay. Is the mouse included in the price? :lol:

Last edited by Frank T on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:36 pm 

No mice. At the moment the tranny is out on the bench. Developed some
fluid leaks that need looking after. I'll know more in the morning.

Good memory Frank. We left that mouse at Lime Rock. Some of it's family
ate the washer tube and electricals on my expedition and about 10 wires behind the
rear seat of one of Carol's 740's.
In GA we should only need to worry about armadillos and fire ants.

Hope all is well. With luck we'll be able to make the Oct. event at Ross's.
I've really missed being involved.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 pm 

And you've been missed, as has Carol. :(

Ahhh, Georgia. I remember it well. The eastern half of GA is about a foot above sea level and has all SORTS of interesting critters you haven't seen up here, including (but not limited to) eastern diamondback rattlers, copperheads, waterbugs, roaches the size of zippo lighters, bats and owls by the score, scorpions, cottonmouth water moccasins, king snakes, water gliders, yellow deerflies (ouch!), sand fleas, gnats, singing geckoes, mud daubers, puma, linx, some alligators and (just lately, since I've left there) killer bees. They also have more bass, bullhead and bass fishermen per square yard than anyplace else in the country. Get you a flat-bottomed bass boat, fill the cup holders with cold beer cans and learn the basics of knife fighting and you'll be one of the boys. Get you a job as a Culligan Man water softener installer or a beer delivery truck driver and you will become a local hero.

There are more types of birds down there than I've ever seen anyplace else (especially near the water or swamps) and some of them (loons and owls) cry all night, looking for a mate.....but you can walk past any honkey-tonk and hear the same thing. The whole state gets clobbered any time a hurricane comes anywhere near the mainland and the state bird is the anopheles mosquito. There is also a fair amount of quicksand, bog, poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak down there. Fiddler crabs walk right down your driveway and very large jumping tarantula spiders will live in your car's ventilation system until you turn on the A/C and blow them out into the cabin. And yes, you already know about the fire ants. If you camp out down there, you might actually get to see some other odd creatures outside my experience, but which I've heard about during some morbid campfire stories. It's been a long time since I pulled military exercises in Georgia, so those are only the things I remember after 30 yrs. You might find even more excitement which I've forgotten about.

The middle and far western parts of the state are gorgeous and actually get some breeZe thru them.

We might miss you, but you are SURE gonna miss us. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:36 am 

The roadster is getting shipped to our new home on LAKE OCONEE in GA.
We had looked at some homes down there that had ingress only on gravel roads (1-3 miles) that
the Z just would not be able to handle. Our new location has a nice indoor home for it and nice
smooth back country roads to drive on. Soooooooooo, it's going with.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:53 am 

:thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:03 am 

:thumbs_up: I can't picture you without that car, anyway.