Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 300zx Turbo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:36 pm 

Ran across this ad and thought it too nice not to share

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/6029111127.html

Good price too!

Post subject: Re: 300zx Turbo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:35 pm 

I wonder if the Anniversary interiors were any different than the standard interiors? Parts might be hard to come by.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 pm 

Hmmm, I imagine there were some differences. I don't imagine it'd be that hard with the internet, and some elbow grease. Judging by the look of that car is be surprised if the interior really needed much more than a cleaning and maybe some touch up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:56 pm 

Half gutted interior? :o :?: Not good. The center console is difficult to find with all the switches and controls. $$$ Vibration seat controls? Under seat components?. Are they there and working.? Digital or analog dash? :roll: Working? The gauge cluster and A/C might have issues. Seller doesn't say that everything is working. :roll: Sometimes the things NOT said is more important as what is said when evaluating a car. :wink: :wink: There's not enough information or pictures. A lot of questions would have to be answered and the price being asked seems high for an incomplete car. :idea: :idea: :roll:

Not too many car owners can say: "Everything that's supposed to be working, IS working as it's supposed to, as it did the day it rolled off the factory". That's something I need to hear. The price gets adjusted downward by the amount of work and parts needed to complete the car to a safe, driveable condition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 pm 

My favorite phrase about used cars is, "ran when parked" :lol: . That leaves a lot of room for things to happen or disappear.

This car might be worth that price to someone, but not necessarily as a driver. It could bring that much return if parted-out, or be worth that much to someone who owns one like it and wants to make one good car out of two. We've had a member donate an '84 300zx to the Club, free, when they left the state.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:17 am 

Frank I think you make some good points, and I don't disagree. If I were in the market id want to see some more photos and would have a list of questions for the owner. Ive seen many cars that show well in a photo but not in person, but this one has low miles and appears very well kept, which I leads me to believe the owner likely removed the interior to replace the aging carpet and refresh the seats...Not because it's trashed. Maybe I'm wrong.
When I'm shopping for an old car though I do try to keep my expectations realistic, and I expect to have to do some work myself to get things up to par. I consider that part of the game, a part I enjoy actually. Unless of course I'm spending a small fortune on it (I never do though).

Also I would have to see the interior pieces myself to evaluate their condition....But the fact that they've been removed wouldn't phase me one bit. Reinstallation takes one day, no problemo.

Just this winter I purchased replacement carpet and a pair of used seats for my 260z. This has nothing to do with the condition of my console, switches, dash, etc, which are all perfect by the way....Incidentally this is for MY 62,000 original mile, 2 owner Z. It's simply because the car is old and those pieces are deteriorating. Fortunately those items are too easy to replace, a simple fix. And an enjoyable one at that.

That said a prospective buyer would have to determine whether or not the vehicle is right for them, and what price they are willing to pay for it. My approach seems different in some ways from yours, but it works for me. I just saw this ad and it piqued my interest, I thought I'd share it here in case someone could benefit from it.

As always I appreciate your input Frank, thank you!

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm 

I agree with your philosophy. If we're interested in Zs, we have to accept the facts that they are old cars, and most have been beaten hard and put up wet or just left for dead. Probably less than 3% of all the classic Zs you find advertiZed for sale are in perfect condition, so we have to assume we're going to have some work ahead of us if we buy one, and probably go searching for some replacement parts.

One of the strong draws for owning a Z (or many of them) is that they give a LOT of bang for the buck. If you consider it, the style, reliability and performance you get far exceeds the normal price you usually pay for an old Z. $10,000 or less can put an excellent example in your driveway and you just can't say that about many classic foreign sportscars. Spend $10K on an old Ferrari, Maserati or even an Alfa Romeo or Austin Healy and see what kind of car the flatbed drops in your driveway.

The Z is so popular that great sources of parts have become available (even more than when the cars were new). For those reasons, many (not all) people want to see the prices of used Zs kept down to levels which allow most employed highschool seniors to own and drive one.

We have active members who drive Zs they paid less than $1,000 for. We have others (like me) who wouldn't sell their Z for a million bucks. Every Z you see advertiZed for sale is worth sharing here, because it might be worth whatever price the seller is asking to someone, perhaps for personal reasons.

ALSO, we've unfortunately even seen some of OUR OWN CARS offered "for sale" years ago, snatched off the Member Rides photo gallery and offered for ridiculously cheap prices on eBay by bogus thieves who just wanted to trick someone into sending a quick deposit on a car deal which seemed just too good to be true ~ and was. I think, for that reason alone, it's important to show every Z we find listed. But that's just me.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:55 pm 

Well said Frank, agreed!

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am 

I agree, quite a decent ad. Thanks for sharing!