Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:23 pm 

I have two 71 240's (one early 1/71 and one late 10/71) that I'm parting out. Both cars are complete right now. Both are bone stock. Restoration projects? if your brave and before parts start getting pulled off of them! The cars are located in Bethel, CT.
Call Mike at Stonebridge Sports and Classics and I'll pull any part your looking for either small or large.
(203) 744-1120 Monday through Friday

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:24 pm 

Are they that bad to warrant part-out's?
I need a set of bumpers if so.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:23 pm 

Any pictures?

1976 Fairlady Z

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:51 pm 

Tried calling today but it seems like it was busy. Im pretty close by and can swing by and take a look whenever :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:47 pm 

Someone snap pics of the cars while you are there if they can.

1976 Fairlady Z

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:44 pm 

I drove up to Bethel today and spent a lovely 2hrs with these cars. Mike is an outstanding guy who races 510s and knows just about everybody in the Datsun business. He has a really fun toy box full of old Brit and Japanese cars and has almost as many stories as Bob Sharp has. He has these two 1971 240Zs to be parted out:

1. Jan/71 #18264
2. Oct/71 #49525

Neither car can be saved unless you mortgage the house and sell your kids. But they both have some very worthwhile parts on them.

* * * * The Blue Jan/71 car has:* * * * *

Light blue exterior/black interior;
Ansen Sprint 5 slot wheels, one chipped;
Tools/Jack/handle bag;
2 good plastic toolbox covers (really hard to find today);
AN EXCELLENT DASHBOARD!!!! No rips, tears, or cracks! Glovebox excellent!;
a junk aftermarket AM/FM radio;
A short shifter kit, installed (!!!);
*Probably* the 71-A 4spd gearbox. Shifts thru the gears smoothly;
Complete/intact handbrake system;
***A very early (as in 1969) center console, with choke and throttle levers (!!!). Obviously a replacement, since Datsun stopped sending these to the USA in early 1970;
Plastic engine fan;
Round top SUs;
E-31 head;
Usable Summer/Winter "breadbox" aircleaner;
Excellent tail lights and surrounds (no cracks or impact damage);
Two perfect cabin vent tubes (either side of the radiator);
Rear hatch vents and vertical defroster (but hatch is rusted beyond use);
120*-250* Temp gauge;
0-140 psi oil gauge;
20-160mph Speedo;
Early 240 "solid" steering wheel;
ripped seats x2;
Some interior plastic panels;
Steering column clamshell;
some body script ("wings" are gone);
some usable body panels (others rusting);
Luggage straps (!!)
Seatbelts (!)
Buckled hood from somebody enthusiastically trying to close it with the prop rod deployed :roll: ;
Good pedal rubber;
Good glass;
Very usable interior vinyl parts;
Two VERY usable bumpers;
Excellent grille;
Brand-new in-the-box front signal lamp lens;
Good front lamps/turn signals;
Four good side lamps;
Two good Quarterlights;
Two good metal headlamp sugarscoops;
All interior and dashboard doo-dads;
Rear wheel wells have been radiuses and slightly flared.
Fuel tank is spoken for (Thor) and both door handle interior escutcheons have been sold 8);
This car is missing the fusebox cover/ashtray insert.

* * * * *The "Red Oct"/71 car has: * * * *

Red exterior/black interior;
No side or deck glass;
Pocked windscreen;
Complete A/C system (compressor, belt idler, good condenser, passenger footwell box, dashboard thermostat setter, etc);
Round top SUs with dashpots removed;
Missing air pump and associated plumbing;
Plastic fan (aftermarket);
E-88 head;
Very good grille;
Usable Summer/Winter "breadbox" aircleaner;
Rear hatch usable, but no glass;
Adjustable seatbacks (recline/lean fwd)(Seats are torn);
Cheap aftermarket Kraco radio ;
Radiator and A/C condenser very good;
Luggage straps (!!);
Retractable seat belts (!);
VERY good vinyl interior (all usable);
Later 240Z "holes" steeringwheel;
Steel vapor tank;
Z-center wheel covers (only saw 3), rough condition but usable;
Fiberglass (I think) headlamp sugar scoops, good shape;
Excellent front cabin vent tubes (either side of the radiator) x2 (really hard to find good ones);
Excellent front signal lamps;
Excellent rear signal lamps and surrounds (no cracks or impact damage);
Some body script;
Four good side lamps;
120*-250* temp gauge;
0-90psi oil gauge;
1-160 mph Speedometer;
EXCELLENT DASHBOARD (!!!) no cracks, splits, gouges, rips, or graffiti !!! Glovebox excellent;
Skeptical fuel tank, but might be salvageable;
Some plastic interior panels;
Steering column clamshell;
*Probably* the 71-B 4spd gearbox. Shifts into/out of each gear smoothly;
Complete/intact handbrake system;
Bumpers are 85% good, with some surface rust and pitting on rear above exhaust mousehole.

Both cars have complete undercarriages. They are rolling on shop tires. Half-shafts, drivelines and U-joints are present and intact. Rust and dust (and some mold) control both cars (parked outdoors). Some body panels are useable on either car, some aren't.

Neither of these cars shows any impact damage. The buckled hood on the blue January car was not from impact. Some of the body panels are rust-bubbly, and the rear wheel wells of the blue car have been radiused and slightly flared.

The power antenna on either car has been snapped off and I doubt either of them works. Neither car has intact exhaust or any muffler. The "Red October" car has two rear speakers. The red car has had all the glass shot out of it (including both Quarterlights), apparently with a BB gun :evil: . The windscreen has a BB pock low on the side, not in the line of sight. Might be OK for racing and might be fillable. A plastic tarp covers the "Red October" car to keep rain out. For all the times I was in and out of both cars, I failed to notice anything about the rearview mirrors, so I have no news about them.

Mike isn't looking to get rich by stripping these cars. They were headed for the crusher and he couldn't bear the thought of that. He bought them knowing they are beyond restoration unless someone is willing to pour more money into them than they will ever be worth. He just wants as many good parts to find their way into the hands of Z lovers as possible. He is very flexible on price for these parts. He knows some of this stuff is becoming very hard to find, so he wants our Club to have first crack at getting what we need from these two cars. He's owned a few Zs in past years, admires them greatly, and hopes to have at least one more in his future. He just doesn't have enough free time on his hands to restore or enjoy one at the moment.

He runs a complete auto/race shop with lifts and power equipment. If you want driveline parts, they can be extracted on-site. You make the arrangements with him for that. He works for a living, therefore it would probably be cheaper for you to remove the parts you want yourself, rather than take him away from another job to pull your parts, but he can do whatever you need if you can't get there. Call him and discuss what you have in mind; he's a life-long gearhead and loves to talk cars. He's also a one-man shop with a line of waiting work, so don't abuse him (like I did :oops: ).

Mike said if he can move enough of these parts, he wants to make a donation to the CTZCC. I think that's pretty decent of him!

I took a bunch of pictures for you guys; I'll see if I can get any of them to stick on here.

(OH, PS ~ If any of you have ever been bitten by the Austin Healey "Bug Eye" Sprite bug, Mike has a complete project waiting for your TLC. He disassembled a Bug Eye, stripped every piece and cleaned it all up, killed all the rust and prepped everything for paint. He has every part of the car there in his shop [including the "big block" engine :lol: ], but it must be painted and re-assembled [someplace else]. He just doesn't have enough time to get his hands back on the project and all he wants for the car is what he's got invested in the parts. This is the painful part of being an excellent mechanic; you're always working on other peoples' cars, and never get to finish your own dream project. Porkbun took a good picture of this For-Sale AH in his photo spread, below).

Call Mike @203.744.11twenty.

Last edited by Frank T on Sun May 17, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 pm 

As usual, I'm having trouble making any of my pictures stick on here. :thumbs_down:

They're normal digital camera pics, but the website thinks they're too big to upload. Refer to Porkbun's photos of the same cars. They are essentially the same pictures I took, anyway, except he's a better photographer than I am.

Note his capture of the Bug Eye Sprite for sale, sitting on the deck btwn the elevated Elan and the elevated green Bug Eye!

Last edited by Frank T on Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am 

Hey Frank, I stopped by before you on on Friday and also happened to find another parts Z that is being used for a restoration nearby :shock: . I snagged the fusebox cover(cracked corner) since ive been missing one for as long as Ive had the car as well as a set of bumpers(picking up on monday), rear interior plastic bits from the orange car and some other random bits. I was going to pull the entire center console from the blue car but the one in my car is in good shape and I already have the choke/throttle bracket (no throttle lever hardware)installed on my car. By the sound of it I should probably be after the center console in the 73 if I want it to be correct for my year ('71). Here are the random pictures I took before I pulled parts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1060562097 ... 9dnY0KDXMQ

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:44 am 

Well HEY! There y'go!
You took the same pictures I took! We'll use yours, thanks!

(You even included the For-Sale paint-ready Austin Healey Sprite tub sitting btwn the green Lotus Elan and the other green Bug Eye). Thanks! Every part of that car has been stripped down and restored, and is there on the premises. It just needs to be painted and reassembled by anyone wanting a classic Bug Eye roadster.

I suspect the fusebox cover (with the missing corner) might be the one from the blue Jan/71 car, which Mike loaned to someone who later didn't use it. Glad you got it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:41 pm 

One of you guys was there when I talked to Mike on the phone Friday.
I was scheduled to go Friday but the customer for the 06 Saab 9-2xAero(same as a Subaru WRX) timing belt job I was working on bought the wrong radiator and I had to hunt one down. I'm going tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:38 pm 

I'm also interested in a set of bumpers so I'll give a call tomorrow. However, I'm on the other side of CT and then some...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 pm 

Both sets of bumpers are sold.
Porkbun and I snagged them today.
I'm going back for more stuff tomorrow as I ran out of time today.
Frank, thanks for the detailed descriptions.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:56 pm 

The late 71 orange car is being sold as a whole to a NY Z club member to aid his rest of another car.
I'm glad to see it go to a good home.

The early 71 car is left.
I took the cowl and left fender from it today.
There's still lots of goodies available.
I'd like to snag the engine but I don't know it's condition.
How does one get into the hatch without a key?

Last edited by SurferD on Tue May 19, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:44 pm 

I went up today to view the cars. I am putting Stan a NYZCC member in touch with the seller as he needs a lot of parts to finish up his resto work. Mike is a very nice guy and we spent some time today chatting about cars and racing. I would buy from him no problem.

1976 Fairlady Z

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 pm 

Very interested in the dash, shift rod and shift knob. Got a 1970 in need. Btw Clive you are everywhere lol! Local in north Jersey.