Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:15 pm 

Thanks for all the interest in these cars. The 10/71 car is not sold yet. I going to try and not sell any parts off of it until I hear from Clive's friend who is in need of some major parts to complete a full resto. Clive,.......Good people right there! Nice meeting you today! The 1/71 car/parts is still up for grabs. The dash is un cracked and in very good condition. The center console is complete with choke and throttle cables, controls, fuse box compartment cover (top corner broken but can't see the break when installed) It's odd that this console is in this (1/71) car but it is. There's a LOT of good early car parts to be had on the 1/71 car but there going pretty quick as I've had 5 different people picking parts from these car in the past week.
Thanks also to Frank for the detailed list and write up on the cars and to Larry for posting up the pictures. Thanks to Clive and to Frank for all the info. Those two cats know Z cars!

Thanks again, Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:51 pm 

Ok,....The update on these cars. The 10/71 car is off to donate major organs for a life saving effort in PA. The 1/71 car is getting picked pretty clean. There's still a lot of good parts left. I still have the center consoles from both of these cars that are in very good shape. Drive line is still complete as is suspension/steering/brakes. Call with your needs!

Thanks, Mike

203-744-112 zero

BTW: the fuel tank from the 1/71 car is on it's way to Germany !

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:02 pm 

Still some functional parts left on the Jan/71 car! You can picture it as a 'normal' 240 which became too rusty to drive. Interior parts include the excellent dash and instruments (when I was there last), the very rare twin-lever cable setup for choke/throttle in the console, very good vinyl throughout, good headliner, original jack and tools, all interior lamps, original "solid" 1970/71 steering wheel, steering stalk "multi-switch", ignition switch, wheel lock and key, rearview mirror, steel headlamp scoops, passenger front fender, slightly bent hood (seems better than it looked first visit), good spare wheel coverboard, the hard-to-find vertical defroster hatch glass, at least one window crank and the entire, complete driveline, with that short-throw shifter kit installed. All glass looks very useable. The front turn signal lamps and REAR LAMPS are both intact. Why isn't anybody grabbing these perfect rear lamps and surrounds?? They're usually completely impossible to find when you need them and people pay hundreds for a good set when anybody rear-ends them! Both seats are ripped and probably beyond hope of repair, unless you're desperate enough to sink more money into them than they are worth.

What was missing when I was there last were the driver's front fender, both bumpers, both door skins and black plastic handle escutcheons, the horn button, maybe the "Z" wheelcovers (I didn't look last time), the plastic tool covers, the ashtray/fuse cover and the cowl. We still can't get the rear hatch open (it's unlocked, but too rusted inside to function) so we can't paw thru all the interesting bits and pieces we can see in the cargo deck area. Who knows? There might be a shoebox full of $20 bills in there somewhere. The entire fuel tank has mysteriously disappeared, along with 6 gallons of sneaky Japanese fuel which effectively avoided a search party's best efforts to find it until it could strike an effective banzi surprise attack on two unsuspecting Westerners.

I've been under the car on a lift and sadly the frame rails, floorboards and surrounding areas are rusted-thru. The car will not see the highway again under its own power without major reconstruction efforts and a ton of money. The transmission mount has snapped off on one side and looks to be beyond repair. The decision to part this car out rather than try to restore it was a sound one. Driveline, brakes and suspension are completely intact and should be captured.

These engines, as we all know, were built with such high nickel content that they are nearly bulletproof. Z owners have routinely pulled the heads off after 200,000 miles and still found the factory cross-thatching on each cylinder. This car has the high-compression E-31 head and 4-screw round top SUs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:40 pm 

Dealin days are here! Lots of good parts left on the early 71 car. I'm moving my shop starting next week and I would LOVE for this car to vanish piece by piece so I don't have to haul it to my new shop.

Thanks, Mike
Stonebridge Sports and Classics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:23 pm 

Stonebridge20 wrote:
Dealin days are here! Lots of good parts left on the early 71 car. I'm moving my shop starting next week and I would LOVE for this car to vanish piece by piece so I don't have to haul it to my new shop.

Thanks, Mike
Stonebridge Sports and Classics

I thought you got rid of that one too.
I'l call you next week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:02 pm 

Still out there sunbathing!

Better get down here before Porkbun!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:04 pm 

What EXACTLY is left of the '71?

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:06 pm 

ZCARNUT wrote:
What EXACTLY is left of the '71?

Gone is:
Dash
LF fender
Bumpers
Door panels
Cowl

Pretty much everything else is there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:04 pm 

Fuel tank is gone and the air cleaner is spoken for. Porkbun was headed out that way to gather the 4-screw round-top SUs, but I don't know if he got them or not. They were there last time I was.

This is the car with the ultra-rare twin-lever choke/throttle plate console. I don't know why nobody has jumped on that yet. It was meant for fast idle warmups without having to foul the plugs by resorting to leaving the choke ON. Americans began using it as a highway "cruise control" and Japan didn't figure we should be trusted with that, so only the first 500 (or so) cars had them. That means only cars from Oct69-Dec69 have them. No telling how/why this Jan71 car has it, but it's there. Makes a handy and practical warm-up device if you drive your Z in cold weather.

This car also has the short-shifter kit installed, which shortens the lever to less than half its original length, making for ultra-fast shifts. If Bryan Little installed one on his car, it's a good idea. I've personally heard him bang all 5 gears and make his T10 sound like an automatic.

I've been under the car and except for the exhaust pipe and a rusted-out transmission brace, the driveline appears to be intact and solid. Should have the 71-B gearbox, but I honestly forgot to examine it. It might be a 5-spd for all I know. Both inspection lids were there when I last saw the car, for anyone who wanted to use them as cores ($100 value) to get MSA louvered lids. Both sugar scoops were steel and both were present, even tho one fender had been taken. Glass and headliner were about perfect on this car. Rear hatch was unable to open (due to internal rust, I guess ~ the lock was unlocked but the latch wouldn't let go). American 5-slot wheels (one with a curb chip), one tire riding on the steel spare. Flat tire on the 4th American Mag in the cargo deck, but we couldn't open the hatch. Car rolled freely and seemed to want to go where we pushed it. Rear tail lights and surrounds appeared perfect ($550-$750 for the lamps alone on eBay and from MSA). I guess they're still there because you have to open the hatch to remove them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-240Z-TAI ... f3&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:43 pm 

Ok,....The feeding frenzy is over. Both cars are gone. I still have both center consoles. 1 clamshell set,2 fuse boxes with covers in excellent shape on hand.

We moved to a new location and the 1/71 car had to go!

FYI: our new address is 15 great Pasture Rd unit 12 in Danbury.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:13 am 

That's WONDERFUL! That address is only 1/2 mile down the road from RDZ!!!
We can stop in and see your new place whenever we visit our CTZCC members and sponsors at RDZ.

Thanks for the generosity, Mike. I know a lot of us got some good parts off your 1971 240Zs (including the fuel tank, which is currently enroute to our member in Germany). Wish everything had been consumed, but you fed a lot of need with those cars. We'll keep an ear out for anyone needing the remaining items.
Good luck in your new location!

Frank T