Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: FS: 1971 240z V8
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:05 pm 

1971 Datsun 240z
HLS3025007

Price - $16,000
Located - Jamestown, RI

My thread on this forum when doing the V8 swap.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7604

Currently there is 74,819 miles on the odometer. When I bought it the title said it was 153,068 (Actual Mileage). So the odometer has gone around once and it’s been driven about 20,000 miles in 14 years. I purchased this car in 2001, sold it to a friend in 2006, then bought it back from him in 2008. He never registered the car or put it on the road, but did have it repainted in the original 918 orange. The car is a series 2 240z with some series 1 parts (dash, center console, and rear glass). I think it is an October 1970 build.

This was the 2nd 240z I owned and because the 1st had major rot issues I made sure to find one that was as rust free as possible in my budget. This car was the best I could find at the time. The original owner had it Ziebarted when it was brand new and in my opinion the Ziebarts worked really well. The car is 99% rust free. The interior floor pans have a little surface rust due to the windshield seal leaking, but are very solid and don’t need to be replaced. The passenger side frame rail has no rust, but the last couple of inches of it have been cut off. That was done before I owned it, I’m guessing it started to rust and a previous owner cut it out and just repainted it without a patch. The rest of the body and undercarriage is rust free and still coated in Ziebarts. It has been garaged since I’ve owned it, and never driven in the winter.

I kept the car basically stock until 2 years ago when I converted it to a Chevy V8. I still have the original engine, minus the carbs. It ran great right up until it was pulled for the v8 conversion. The person I bought it from said it had been rebuilt about 20,000 miles before I bought it.

Engine:
Hooker Headers v8 conversion engine mounts
Mounts are oriented to sit the engine closer to the firewall.
Large journal 327 chevy
L98 Aluminum heads
Holley 750 Double Pumper Carb - 4179
Isky cam, I don’t know the specs, but it pulls hard to 7000 rpm.
About 9:1 compression ratio
It probably makes around 325 hp, Never been to a dyno.
An Innovate wideband was used to tune the carb and the gauge is mounted in the glove box.
It idles around 1000 rpm. AFR is around 13.5 at idle, 12.5 at full throttle, and 14.7 at cruise.
Technoversions Tachmatch to use the original tachometer.
Champion radiator with dual electric fans
Derale dual fan controller.
MSD6 Electronic ignition box
Optima Red battery
Engine fires right up and runs great.

Exhaust:
Hooker Long tube headers
Dual 2 1/2” custom piping
2 Turbo mufflers
Complete exhaust has been ceramic coated a silver color

Transmission:
Transmission is a Super T10 4-speed. I like the transmission, but it doesn’t have overdrive, which gets old fast. Also, I think the input bearing needs to be replaced because is starting to make noise. Instead of rebuilding the Super T10 I was going to replace it. I have an 1988 Iroc Camaro WC T5 transmission that could go with the car. I recently had the T5 inspected at a transmission shop. The transmission was in good condition, but I had them install new shifter fork pads because they said they were a little worn. I also have a Qwik Stik rear offset shifter that will enable the shifter to come up in the original 240z shifter position. To use this transmission, the transmission mount would need to be modified and the drive shaft shortened with a different front yoke. The transmission still works fine, but it really needs overdrive.
New zoom clutch last summer.
Speedometer/odometer stopped working last fall. The speedo gear in the transmission is stripped. I put probably about 500 miles on it before it was put away for the winter. I had planned on installing the T5 this winter, which would fix that, but I didn’t have the time because of work.

Engine and transmission is out of Rags old 260z that Clive bought. I traded Clive for a L30 Rebello long block. I think rags is temporarily running the long block in a new project.

Rear end:
280zx turbo differential with 3.55 gears
OBX LSD with Bellville washers.
280zx turbo cv axles.
Differential and cv axles have been rebuilt last summer.
RT Mount as well as factory mount with trimmed poly bushing from below.

Suspension:
Eibach progressive springs
KYB struts
I bought the energy suspension complete kit, I have installed some of the bushings, but not all. I still have the rest of the kit though.

Brakes:
Factory front disc brakes and rear drums (I don’t track the car).
I do have new Toyota S12W Calipers and new rotors to convert the front. I also have new rear Maxima calipers for the rear, but don’t have the conversion brackets for the rear. Also have new stainless braided brake lines.
Willwood master cylinder.

Interior:
The interior is mostly factory stock in good condition.
The chrome paint on the door panels is peeling some and showing some blue.
Seats have been redone in vinyl
Center vent is pealing chrome a little.
Dash has a cap. It was installed before I bought it so I don’t know the original dash condition.
Momo Protipo Steering wheel with Datsun horn button.
I still have the original steering wheel and horn pad in good condition.
Rear speaker box with 2 speakers (the one that is really common in these cars)
Kenwood head unit. It is about 4 years old, but has a usb port in the front of it. It is not audiophile good, but it sounds great to me.

Exterior:
BRE front ducted fiberglass spook from Les Cannaday
BRE rear fiberglass spoiler from MSA
Chrome Raydot driverside mirror (I have another for the passenger side that was never installed)
Bumpers are original and in pretty good condition with no rust. They are not perfect new chrome though.
New hood emblem.
Paint was redone in 2007. It was never wet sanded or compounded, but looks really good. It is not perfect though, but with a good detail it looks great.
There is a crack in the paint above the rear passenger wheel. That was my fault and it happened when I tried to roll the fender lip to fit wider wheels. I think it could be fixed, but it has been hard for me to find anyone that works on single stage paint anymore.
Some of the weatherstripping is getting old and could be replaced.
One of the rear window chrome corner trim pieces is missing. I have a replacement.

Wheels and Tires:
Rota RBR 16x8 on all for corners. Offset is +10. It has 7mm spacers in front, none in rear.
Tires are BFG KDW2 NT 225/50/16.
Tires and wheels are 2 years old with about 2500 miles on them. They’re still in great condition.

Glass:
All glass is in good shape except the front windshield. The front windshield is not cracked, but it has little marks all over it (I’m not sure how to describe it, maybe pitted?). They just seem to be from the windshield being really old and stuff hitting it while driving over the years. It is the original glass. I have not had good luck when having windshields replaced in the past and have been reluctant to change it. It causes a glare when driving toward the sun.

Reason I’m selling:
I told my wife many times after buying it back last time that I would never sell this car. But things change. Business is going well and I’m really busy. Last September I bought a 1985 Porsche 928s 5-speed (my other favorite car). Mostly because I have 2 small kids and 2 seats wasn’t enough for a family of 4. I find that the only time I have for driving the car is when doing stuff with the family. The Porsche fits my life situation better. Also, I only have a 1 car garage. So right now the Porsche is sitting outside every day and night and I don’t like that. The Datsun is more sensitive to the elements so that is the way it will be until it’s sold. I have only driven the Datsun once this year. It’s time for a new home. Someday I will build a big detached garage/barn. If that was already done, I wouldn’t be selling the car.

The 240z is actually in really good shape, I am a perfectionist though and see all the flaws in everything so my description probably makes it sound worse than it is. I don’t do a lot of car shows, but It had actually taken 2nd place in the foreign modified car class at a large local show 2 years ago. The show is made up of about 400 cars that are mostly drivers. Most people that have seen the car think it looks amazing and ask if it was just painted. To me it’s obvious that it hasn’t. From 10 feet it looks great. The car is a blast to drive. By far the fastest car I’ve owned.

PM me for my contact info, I don’t like to publish it on the web.

This is a link to my 240z flickr album. Some of the pictures are before the engine swap. The L-engine parts in the pictures have been sold. They are there because I was originally building a rotrex supercharged stroker L-engine, but changed my mind, and went v8 instead. It was a tough decision, both engines are great. The v8 won for me because for the same level of power the v8 is a milder build, and I thought would last longer because of that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robolejni ... 541238636/

Thanks,
Rob

Post subject: Re: FS: 1971 240z V8
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:55 pm 

It sold to someone local today.

Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:50 pm 

:cry: Sorry to see you sell it. You at least have that Van still? :thumbs_up: Well maybe see it around....did you give them info the club? We'll see you in your next Z, Godspeed.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:03 pm 

Thanks Paul.

I did tell the new owner about this club and gave him the website address. He already has a 350z too.

I do still have the van and you will see me driving it around. This winter was pretty tough on the body of the van and is needing some rust repairs shortly.

I'm sure there will be another Z in my future when I have the space.

Here is a picture of my new toy, a 1985 928s. You probably will see it around too. I was just at Town Fair tire near your house getting new tires.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:18 pm 

Good luck with the 928. I hope the Z's new owner gets involved with the club.
I had a little chuckle regards the Sell the V8 Z and get a 928. Reason was that
I sold my 1991 928GT and ended up building a '74 260z roadster 355sbc.
What's that saying ......... what goes around, comes around? Enjoy your porsche,
I still miss mine, kinda like I still crave a smoke after a good meal eventhough I quit
more than 20 yrs. ago. The 28 is a great long trip car, best of luck.
Jack Durand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 pm 

Rob do you still have the Rotrex setup you had for sale a couple of years ago? I'd like to know more about it, how/where it was fitted especially. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:30 am 

:lol: Rob's "black fleet" parked around his house makes him look like the mafia or a secret government agency. :lol: