Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:26 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 am 

So I unloaded my Z. I was keeping these parts for possible barter on things the car may have needed, and no longer need them.
I have a 77 280Z L28 crankshaft with minor surface rust. No pitting, and no scarring. I have all of the matching rod and piston assemblies and all of the main caps from this motor. Motor was running when I disassembled it, and I did it to learn the internal working of the engine. Block and heads were sold 15 years ago to finance the 240 I put together. The crank has been hanging from a shelf for 14 years because someone told me that was needed to keep it straight. (urban legend?)

I also have some misc brackets and L28 small engine externals in the box.

I would rather post these up here than have some CL idiot come take them and sell it to a scrap yard.

I can post pics if someone wants, or pm me for the pics. I can post up the casting number later if anyone wants.

This stuff is pretty much free, just come pic it up. Items are in Voluntown, CT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 am 

I'll be honest with you, your probably better off getting some beer money from the scrap yard. The caps are useless now, have to go with block. Crank and rods are dime a dozen and last forever, so not a big need, and most people buy new pistons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:04 am 

I agree. Whomever bought your block without the main bearing caps must have needed a cheap boat anchor. Not sure what else anyone can do with a block if you keep the line-bored caps. If they try to actually use it for automotive use it won't last long and will give them armloads of troubles.

Vinny Bedini has a corner full of Z crankshafts, all standing on end (like yours is hanging) so they don't warp. I have no idea what they're worth individually, but he's keeping lots of them so they must be worth something.
Maybe you could mount your mailbox on the crank out in the front yard?

Back in the Day, these items would have been worth a lot more than they are today. Now we can buy such great parts for our Zs that it hardly makes sense to buy individual engine parts used, unless you're really broke. That's why used engines sell better whole than parted out.

Sorry. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:46 pm 

I agree about the caps being worthless, but the rest of the stuff is free..free. I'll leave the post up and bump it every few months. If someone was to spin a rod and score the crank, they couldn't beat the price.

I did just pick up an old, anchorless, boat hmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm 

OH! FREE!

Well, there have been a couple people on here who were looking for a set of 240Z piston heads about a year ago ~ something about a race car they were building on a budget, which didn't have to last longer than one race, or something. Maybe the 24hrs of Lemons?
Forgot who that was.

Last edited by Frank T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 pm 

Brotus7?

Doesn't he have a racer?