Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:45 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:09 am 

According to a post on Facebook (Datsun Parts and Needs Group), it sounds like the Doc, Alan Robbins is entertaining offers for the Bob Sharp GTU Z, driven by Sam Posey. I think a cool $400K offer will seal the deal 8) C'mon Powerball!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27666849@N ... /lightbox/

Cheers,
Colin

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:26 am 

I got all wrapped-up with your other pictures!
Especially appreciated those great Air Show shots and videos. I'm a real fan of the old Soviet Era YAK-52 aerobatic planes and enjoyed all the videos you have on The Raiders flying aerobatic team. One of our members flies one of those great aircraft out west, altho we haven't heard much from him after he figured out how to tune and re-jet the triple Webers on his 240Z. Guess he's too busy having fun with his toys to write much anymore. 8)

I spoke with Doc Robbins about HLS30-0006 a couple years ago. While he still loves to race it, he said the lack of enforcement in SCCA rules allows 'cheaters' to out-gun him on the track. Because his Z is a piece of classic history, Doc refuses to modify it very far from its original 1970s specifications. Accordingly, it's no longer competitive against other vintage racers which have been illegally modified but not enforced. He loves his car enough to leave it unchanged (within SCCA rules) but was getting pretty tired of losing to cheaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:59 am 

Hey Frank. Not my Flickr pictures. Just googled the Bob Sharp GTU Z, and this is one of the nicer reference shots that came up.

I would be very surprised if Dr. Robbins were offering car #6, which is still in CP trim. The one he looks to be selling is the GTU Z - not sure of the VIN, but it sounds as though it's the second Z which Bob obtained:
http://www.destinyracingusa.com/categor ... n-240z-gtu

I'm sure ZCCR John will enlighten us (=

1970 Datsun 240z #11137

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 am 

Consider yourselves about to be enlightened.... :wink:

The link that Colin provides is dead on. That is the accurate history of the BSR IMSA GTU car currently owned by Allan Robbins. Allan still owns the car and is displayed at ZCCR's car show every year. It was the GTU "back up" car that was pressed into duty after Bob's crash. The names of the drivers to take the wheel in this car is quite impressive, with Sam Posey winning its last championship. I don't believe that it is actively raced anymore, the last time being a couple of years ago at Lime Rock where it was reunited with Bob Sharp. I have some pics of that somewhere, I will try to post them later.

And yes, Allan still owns 00006 in it's last CP racing configuration. He no longer races it due to its priceless value. The crew at Sharpsite has built a 240Z clone of 00006 that Allan still runs in vintage competition.

Both cars are housed at Sharpsite racing (which I am extremely fortunate is only a few miles from my home, I get to visit regularly!).

HEADS UP: ZCCR is working on a late winter event where the film of the 1970 SCCA race season, the one that was to debut at last year's convention, will be shown AT Sharpsite Motorsports with 00006 and the rest of Doc's Datsun race cars in attendance. Theater seating, big screen, food & drink and the producer of the film's son doing narration. Word is spreading and we expect many vintage race teams and drivers to be in attendance (Bob, we'd love to have you as our featured guest!) This will be your chance to see a part of Datsun racing history that hasn't been seen in over 40 years on the big screen and in full color! As soon as the details are finalized, I will post them. This is something you may want to make a weekend of!
:D

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:26 am 

[ "This is something you may want to make a weekend of!"]

SERIOUSLY!

If we can garner enough votes, do you think you could arrange a group rate at the hotel again?

Thanks for straightening us out on Z history, once again. :wink:

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 am 

I'm sure I can get a great group rate at the Holiday Inn that hosts our yearly Motor Fest Weekend. It's only about 10 minutes from Sharpsite.

Once I get the dates firmed up, I will get it done. THe event will be on a Saturday night. Let's see how many brother and sister CTZCCers are interested!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:59 pm 

John Thanks for helping keeping the record straight on Bob Sharps cars
You are Dead on and Bob and I appreciate it. :)

Black 2007 350-Z
67 Camaro Custom
Orange Late 71 240-Z Sold and sitting in a Doctors Collection

Colin Foote Never Forgotten!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:45 am 

Both the 00006 car and the GTU car will be on display at ZCCR's Motor Fest car show on July 20. The previously mentioned film will also make its debut the prior Saturday evening at our auction banquet. It'll be a weekend you won't forget Z fans!

Stay tuned.....

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:36 am 

The cars will be shown on Sun/20Jul, and the film will be shown & narrated on Sat/19Jul, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:24 am 

Correct Frank.

And for those of you interested in attending, stand by for updated information on the host hotel. ZCCR is in negotiation with another facility with much better amenities AND a much better room rate!

The car show will still be at the same location, the Elks lodge grounds on Jackson Rd. in Webster NY.

Update soon!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com