Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:22 am 

WOW. :shock: Can't believe it. People here will convince you not to sell it....It sorta happens here. :wink: but if you must. I have an interest in the Transmission, but will look into the ratio's first to see if this is for me. The thought of selling my Lexus to buy the short block is also pondering. just some thoughts. :? She is a beauty guys. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 am 

Hey Clive you know what this Z needs? ...... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am 

Rob, I'm definitely interested in the headers. You're saying you know somebody who is selling ANOTHER set, but with some peeling? I'd rather have a set without..... and they hafta be square-port with a bung. I love that intake manifold too---but it's a little rich more my blood, plus I am working on one of my own. Anyhow, if you decide to sell your headers, let me know, and if not, I might be interested in the peeling set if I could see some pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 pm 

Hi Paul, The engine is the one I originally bought from you. Looks a lot different now though don't you think. Let me know if you are interested in anything or if you want to come by to see anything. You live the closest as far as I know. You're probably the only person on here that has seen the car in person too. Thanks for the compliments.

Mark, I'm am selling the headers in my ad if you want them. They are still in the original box. I took them out and and made an exhaust port template to compare with the head ports and then put them back in the box... I only mentioned the Nissan Motorsport header because they are pretty sought after and aren't made anymore. They were probably one of the best headers made for the L-engine. Probably not needed unless your building a very high hp na or supercharged engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 am 

Rob...I definitely would like your headers. Can you ship them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 pm 

I was looking into the gear ratios of the 240sx transmission, the non turbo is much like the 280zx 81-83 NA. I see there has to be some machine work to make this work, plus shortning the driveshaft about 2 inches. I just bought a brand new driveshaft. So pondering the Idea. It is real nice to see what has become of that block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:39 pm 

Mark, I can ship the headers. I need to get a quote and then I can get back to you. If you pm me your address I'll get a quote tomorrow.

Paul, After a lot of research I decided the 240sx transmission was the way to go in my project. Everyone I talked to about it said they shift so much better and can withstand more power. My 240 has the shorter driveshaft, which can be used without shortening it. The one I have has already had all the machine work done to it and is ready to bolt in. I was going to clean the outside up and paint it 1st though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am 

Is the driveshaft shortened at a driveshaft shop, or is it just an early one which I think is 1 1/2" shorter?? I would be further intersted if it came with a driveshaft, with good u-joints. I am already looking into the Light Flywheel and the ACT clutch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:58 pm 

The early 240z's came with a shorter driveshaft than the later 240z's. It's rear end was set more forward, which Nissan realized was causing premature failure of halfshaft u-joints and moved it back in later years. The halfshaft angles were not good. My car has the shorter driveshaft still installed and is going with the car. I was going to use it if I finished this project. What I was trying to say is if you can find an earlier driveshaft you wouldn't need to shorten one. I would think there should be a decent amount of them around because a popular mod is to replace the earlier driveshaft with the later one and moving the diff back. Most r200 installs in early 240z's do this and requires the longer driveshaft too. Maybe someone on here has one the don't need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm 

Header is sold to Mark and shipping Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm 

Well I'm going to pass for now, only because I have faith in finding a 280zx one, it's more about the gear ratios, and this should go to someone who does more racing. I thought I sold you an N42 head? Would be interested in buying that back, no need for intake. I'm just finding out my brake conversion is going to cost some bucks, and have to do this first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:59 pm 

Hi Paul,

I did get a n42 head from you. I sent it to Dave Rebello in a partial exchange/core for the p90 and don't have it anymore. OK on the tranny. I think the 240sx tranny has good ratio's for street use. Depends a lot on your rear end ratio too though. The T-5 has a 3.5 1st gear which I think is pretty much useless. I think the 81-83 280zx non-turbo has the best ratios for racing if your not putting down tons of power. It's the most close-ratio option for trannys we have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 pm 

Well that's Ok. Someday I'll find another. I still have my F54, and some day will use it with a N42. There is a guy up in the Webster NY area that likes to use those 240sx Transmissions. Swawn I believe. John T. would know him better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 pm 

Shawn is our member, too. He wrenches for the SharpSite Racing Team's original 240Z Datsun, Bob Sharp's old #0006.
Shawn owns the 3rd 1970 Pineapple Z from Honolulu. John's mine and Shawn's sat together on the Honolulu showroom floor in 1970. We all know that impossible story.

Frank

*(SORRY to hijack your post, Rob ~ didn't mean to do that, Sir)

Attachments:
3 Hawaiian Zs.jpg
3 Hawaiian Zs.jpg [ 353.73 KiB | Viewed 7409 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am 

Yea, that Shawn. Love the pic. brings back memories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next