Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am 

Hi Frank, no worries about the hijack. It doesn't bother me one bit. It's a nice picture of 3 beautiful early z's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm 

Mine is the blue one, John's is the perfect yellow one, and Shawn's is the totally original white one. All reunited 40 years later, 6600 miles from Honolulu, independently travelled to live within 400 miles of each other.

It's a very weird world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm 

Frank,

I had been reading through the forums here and read about that story just a couple weeks ago. It is a real cool story and 1 in a million chance something like that happens. I'm definitely going to come to some of the events you guys have and see these cars in person.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my car. I really don't want to sell it but cash is really tight. I always said to myself and my wife that I would never sell it. I think I'm going to pretend that I don't have the car and figure out how to get through this without selling. If I didn't own this car I know I would figure out a way. I'm just going to approach it that way and see what happens. I have work right now and I have jobs lined up for about 6 months, which isn't bad. My problem is the last few jobs I took were priced pretty much at cost just to keep my guys and myself busy until my future scheduled jobs start. I took a pretty significant financial hit because of it. You live and learn. Only time will tell if it was a smart decision or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:49 pm 

Rob, what kind of work do you do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm 

I'm a builder/remodeler. I build a lot of circular stairs and cabinetry too. Basically specialize in high quality custom carpentry and homes that require it. I'm not good at production work because I care to much and am bit of a perfectionist. Most of my work is in Newport, RI and my clients are from all over the country. They hire me because that want someone that has a lot of attention to detail, not because I'm the cheapest. That said, I'm not nearly as expensive as my direct competitors.

My website is blackpointbuilders.com It is mainly just a portfolio of some of the work I've done. It hasn't been updated in a while though.

If anyone here needs anything done I'd love to work for people that share a common interest.
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 pm 

For some reason, I have seen your website last year (not very long ago) and was impressed by some circular stairs you guys did. Quality work.

I sure can't tell you where to find money, but I can tell you this ~
after owning and working on a Z for while, if you ever let it go, you'll probably regret it. I sold mine in the mid-1980s and it took me 23 years to find it again. I felt like a destitute parent who put my kid up for adoption because I couldn't feed it. I was extremely fortunate that my actual car was still 'alive' after all that time, and that I actually found it again (AND that the total-stranger owner sold it to me).

Everybody's different I suppose, but during the years when my Z and I were apart, there was something missing from my heart. I could have had other Zs during that time, but only wanted "mine".

It still puts a tear in my eye when I think about it.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 pm 

Newport is beautiful! Love the mansions. Rob, I'm in the same field! Well, sort of. I'm studying to become an architect, but my last few breaks from school I have worked for David Litchfield Building and Remodeling. We're in the same boat as you. Our clients don't call us for a "cheap" remodel, they call us for a quality remodel. We have a good rapport on historical renovations in the historic areas of West Hartford, CT. I'd say most of our work is in CT.

http://www.davidlitchfieldbuilding.com/gallery.html is the company website...again, same as you, it hasn't been updated in a bit.

On a personal note, I do all of the design work for the company when I'm there. I specialize in realistic renderings and pre-construction documents.

Here's a post with some of my design work on my college blog:

http://slkr2016.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/design-work/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:01 pm 

Gee Rob, I should of showed you what I am doing in the basement of my House. About 80% done. Selling my 280zx funded most of it. (Z related now) It was just a bare basement. Now there is a hallway mostly finished, one bedroom, the soon to be Living room, a laundry room, walk in closet, an exersize room, and the full bathroom with a wirlpool bathtub. The frame work is beyond Code, did all the electrical, plumbing HVAC work myself. I only hired someone to install the larger Heater with Central A/C, and someone to run another gas line for the Fireplace I built upstairs, and installed the Gas stove myself. Nothing was drawn on paper, it is all done through my imagination. All paneling is 111 board, and pine molding, wooden ceiling, and soon will tile the floor. Also Z related, this is why I appeared to drop off the face of the Earth for awhile. I now will slowly finish, but this is a Year for the 240. Go ZCON 2013 :!: :D (also the year to get in shape and go back to my 20's) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm 

Frank,

I know what you mean and it's one of the main reason I don't want to sell it. I bought my first 240z while I was in college. I sold it near the end of school and within 6 months I was searching for another one. It took me about 5 years before I could actually buy one again that I could afford at the time that wasn't a rust bucket... The search is fun though.

Felipe,

I checked out the websites. Nice work. I especially like the fireplace in the bathroom (don't see that too often). I really like the realistic renderings. I started drawing in Sketchup about 5 years ago and recently started playing around with renderings. With my clients I don't usually need to get to the photorealistic level. They like seeing it in 3d though because they have trouble picturing what the final product will look like from normal 2d drawings. It also has reduced the amount of changes that I have had to make after construction has begun. It's a win-win for everyone. It cost the customers less because they don't need to pay for a change to something they don't like and I can stay on schedule much easier because I don't have to redo things.

Paul,

I remember you telling me about your basement project while I was at your house. I never said anything because you said you were doing most of the work yourself. I appreciate that. Most guys that can work on cars like you do can easily work on their house. It saves them a lot of money and if they have the time that is what they should do. I do the same when I work on my car. It's actually fun when it's not what you do for a living. Most of my clients don't have any desire to work on their houses or save any money doing it themselves. They are usually way to busy running their businesses. That said, if anything comes up that is giving you a hard time let me know and I'll help in any way I can.

Thanks guys,
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:37 pm 

Yea, SketchUp has revolutionized things in the industry like nothing else. And I agree whole heartedly, most people can't visualize things...that's where SketchUp makes it's money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 am 

I wonder what they, the number crunchers I call them, will do if a finacial disaster happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm 

Car and parts are no longer for sale. Luckily, business is picking up and I would have never considered selling except for the situation I was in. I made it through it without having to sell which makes me very happy. I'm going to finish the car before ZCONN in August. The only thing I ended up selling was the headers to Marc. That worked out perfect for me because I had posted an ad on hybridz 6 moths ago looking for a Nissan Motorsports header with 1 3/4" primaries. I few weeks ago someone contacted me with one they have had for a long time that was never used and they didn't see themselves ever using it. It had a little rust and the chrome was peeling a little too. It just arrived Saturday and I cleaned it up. I removed the rust with oxalic acid and then polished it with mothers. I think it came out very good. I just need to figure out a way to preserve it. It wasn't very easy to find one of these and I don't want to have to do that again. I'm thinking Swain Techs White Lightning would be the best, I just need to see exactly how much that is going to cost. I might run it for a while as is first. Here it is.

Attachments:
Nissan Motorsports Header .jpg
Nissan Motorsports Header .jpg [ 802.45 KiB | Viewed 5255 times ]

Last edited by rob240z on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:45 pm 

What a 'bundle of snakes'! That's the signature of every individually-tuned exhaust header. If they make them correctly, they can actually be made to scavenge exhaust from each chamber.

So VERY glad to hear your baby is not for sale anymore! 8) You would have been very sorry, trust me.

Frank

BTW, are you running an E31 head on that engine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:20 pm 

I'm running the p90 that rebello built for me. The pictures and specs are in the original post on this thread because I was going to sell them too. It's going to be an 8:1 cr rotrex supercharged engine. The short block was built by Rebello too. It's has an offset ground crank with increased stroke and a slight overbore. It is 2923 cc, Bore 3.465, Stroke 3.150. All ARP hardware, JE Pistons, copper o-ringed block. Rebello built the head and port & polished it. He help come up with a custom ground cam for my application. I polished the combustion chambers and port-matched the intake ports to my intake manifold.

My 240z's engine still has the e31 head on it. I was going to use it, but Dave said the p90 would be a better option. The e31 would need to have the valve size increased and seats replaced which would have lead to more expense than it was worth. It would have cost more than the p90 even after buying a p90 core from him.

Attachments:
P90 Polished & Port Matched.jpg
P90 Polished & Port Matched.jpg [ 408.21 KiB | Viewed 5241 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 am 

rob240z wrote:
Thanks again for the kind words and the meaning of glws.

I initially wanted to offer all the parts to whomever was buying the car. My gut tells me that they will sell separately
anywaybuy speakers though. I'll work on pricing for all the parts tonight and then update this thread with prices.

Thanks,
Rob

hello These car parts looks in nice condition. Can you tell which car parts are you left with. I need lights and sound system

Last edited by Burbril on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next