Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:48 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Chick's Junkyard Run '09
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:26 am 

As some of you may know, I've been looking for an excuse to go to Chick's JY in Wallingford. One of the biggest items I need to find is a set of small brackets from inside a 75-78 280Z dash, which holds the heater/maplight/vent embellishment to the center of the dash. Mine were erroneously trashed a few weeks ago by someone who didn't know their value. I'm also keeping my eyes open for other nick knacks as well...

Some of you expressed interest in going as well, and I think that's great. I was thinking this Sunday/Monday (7th-8th), but its really short notice. If anyone could provide input into what might be a better date, I'd appreciate it. Now that I think about it, they might be closed on Sunday, but I don't know their hours. Just let me know what would be the best time for you guys and I'll arrange it so we can get as many people in as possible. My availability if probably the most flexible...

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:03 am 

Chick's IS closed on weekends, and I am eager to tag along whenever we can muster up a detail.
Last time we were there, they were gathering all the Z cars into one group. They had been scattered all over the area before.

Frank

Post subject: Chick's Run
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:33 am 

Count me in Frank for any plans for weekday run. I can probably cut out of work on a weekday afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 am 

OK, let's see what kind of interest we have for this exploration. The day is yet to be determined, but it must be a weekday, since the place is closed on weekends and some of us have already got burned for being in there on a Saturday!

Who wants to go to Chick's Junkyard in Wallyworld on a weekday?

1. Frank T
2. Phrog
3. KevnR
4. Jim Hagani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:17 pm 

Well guys, I'm probably gonna swing by Chick's before heading up to the meeting on Wednesday. If anyone else wants to come they're welcome to, I'll probably try to get there a little after noon so I have time to browse. I also wouldn't mind a return trip some other day if everyone can't make it. I doubt I'll be able to "see all there is to see" in one day anyways!

If I can't find those in-dash brackets that I'm looking for there, I'd be most appreciative if someone could give me info as to somewhere I can source them from. They're the brackets that attach the heater embellishment to the center of the '78 dash, allowing the connection of four screws. I can provide a photo of where the brackets mount, if needed.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35 pm 

I sure can't go on Wed ~ the whole day is full of graduation ceremonies. Also, not sure anyone but a Marine or Navy Seal would want to wade around in there after a hard rain ~ you'll come out plenty muddy.

Ask him where the Zs are located now. They used to be on both sides of the road, until we started showing interest in them. Then he began moving them over to the area closest to the office.

Hope he parks them in a way which allows you to access the interior. He had them door-to-door awhile back, and when I squeezed into a 280 to get the Clamshell off the column I nearly blacked out upside down under the dash in the 90* heat. Foot got stuck thru the floorboard and everything. I was alone and far from the office, so they wouldn't have found me for weeks! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:21 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Also, not sure anyone but a Marine or Navy Seal would want to wade around in there after a hard rain ~ you'll come out plenty muddy.

Sounds like my combat boots will be getting their first use in a while then! I can't wait!

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:59 am 

good to know there is a supply of parts cars so close by. now it's just a matter of getting a day off from work.

PhrogZ46, my 260 came with a spare dash from a 280 that i was going to use for parts. you're more than welcome to the brackets you need, so long as you provide me with some pictures so i can make sure they're still there. my email is junior_59@msn.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:47 am 

Phrog, you're sure you can't use anything off the 1971 Partz Car dashboard? What do these brackets look like? They aren't "L" shaped angles, are they?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:41 pm 

Ok, so I made my run to Chick's. VERY please with myself. I was ecstatic to find the dash and heater panel intact, so I've got the brackets. Case closed, but I'll provide some photos just in case you're still curious as to what brackets I was talking about.

That's the heater panel I pulled, with the brackets sitting next to it approximately as they would if installed.

And here, a closer shot with explanation of each mounting point.

I got countless other things (as much as I could remove/carry in my arms and utility belt) before they closed. I was there for at least 3 hours. Here though is what I considered my greatest find;
And it took forever to get out because of the rusty heat shields below it! That there is a Non-egr, non-webbed N42 intake, something I have been searching for a long time. Once I get this thing sandblasted and painted it will REALLY clean up the engine bay! Well, maybe not as much as a set of Webbers would but... Hopefully I can get my hands on a Palnet fuel rail too. Its going to be perfect for when I convert this thing to unnatural aspiration. I'll have to find a junked 240sx too so I can get the bigger throttle body...

I digress... I also got a bunch of other various nuts/bolts/missing fasteners that I couldn't properly substitute with store bought items. The steering column trim was flawless and uncracked, unlike mine. The turn signal and headlight switch were in much better condition than mine, but I didn't test them yet. Sorry guys, there's not too much left on the car! :lol: Worst part is, I plan on going back for more.

The only other Z I saw in there was a 280zx, N/A. I didn't touch it, yet. It looks like its mostly intact too, so anyone with a 280ZX that's looking for stuff... it probably has it.

That place is a treasure trove. If I wasn't so busy pulling parts I would have taken some pictures. Next time!

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:49 pm 

Well, those brackets definitely were NOT on the 1971 partz car dash ~ glad you didn't waste time and went to the source.

YES! Chick's is a real treasure trove. You have to make time to wander around in there and see all the stuff he has! As you know, he doesn't stack or crush the cars, but he places them so closely together you can't get the doors open. I would guess he has about what? 4 or 5 acres of cars in there? I love the place. There were 4 Z cars in there last time we went.

I hope you couldn't have used a 1984 injector unit ~ we had one for FREE on this Forum for months! Ross just threw it away a few months before you joined :cry: You can see pictures of it under FREE TO A GOOD HOME, dated recently.

At our annual car show and again at our Fall Outing, we have parts tables. The car show table has a collection of spare parts which the Membership donates, which fill several tables. We sell raffle tickets and when your ticket wins, you get to take your pick of what's on the table. At the Fall Outing Picnic, we have a parts swap table ~ bring a part, take one. I was amaZed at the nifty stuff we had on both tables last year!

You're still invited when the rest of us get together to raid Chicks next time.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm 

Frank, I had the same thought you did but he was looking for an early N42 without the EGR and other emmissions attachments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm 

To bad I didn't see your needs before hand. I have all that stuff already out of the car, and cheap too. So you know, I have parts from a 75, 75 2+2, 76, 78, 79, 81, 81T, 82T & 83, all were complete cars within the last 2 years. I still have the 2+2 in complete form, $200 takes it away. It has the N42 head and manifold, and the R-200 rear end. If that ZX in the yard has an F54 block, (81-83,) then that's worth grabbing. Of course I have one for sale, stripped ready to go. (short block still together) Then you slap that N42 head on there for a 10:1 compession. Big stuff is on special, ALWAYS, someday I need some space to move and work on my Z's. :shock: