Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:10 pm 

Hey guys...just passing this one along. I have no affiliation.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/1053936991.html

I'd go look at this one for myself, but I have to figure out how to pay for a wedding first :shock:

If it's solid in the usual rust-prone areas - could be a great deal - might make for a nifty driver. Is it me, or is there something funny about the way the rear quarter/wheel arch wraps around the rear wheel...some sort of aftermarket fiberglass patch?

Cheers,
Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:52 pm 

It does look different in that spot, and also, isn't the side emblems for a 70 only ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:13 pm 

Hey Paul. Side emblems (and rear hatch vents) are from 69 - Jan 71. Cars built late '70 were often titled as 71 cars. So its build date is most likely late '70.

Here's a great link for all of the geeky details (=
http://www2.zhome.com:81/History/DesignChanges.htm

The rear wheel arch is definitely funky though.

Cheers,
Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:50 pm 

I just returned from viewing this car. If my flash had worked I would be posting some pictures.

The car is a Jan/71, nearly-stock. It has fewer than 60,000 miles and I'm convinced those are original miles. It has VERY little rust and none of that is thru-and-thru. The radio, exhaust, antenna, radiator, starter, fuel pump, battery, and certain interior trim parts have been replaced. It shows signs of recent brake work. Tires appear absolutely new (but are at least 10 yrs old). It has a bra and road lights. Original carpets are still usable and presentable. Original jack and tools are present in the plastic boxes behind the seats, all contained in the original tool pouches. R-180 rear, engine stock and slightly dirty. Rear hatch louvers and the dash are PERFECT! The car is HLS30-20,xxx Jan/71.

The rear hatch piston is weak, that stupid airpump is missing, the choke lever is snapped, an interior door latch plastic trim dish is missing and the flashers don't work. Everything else does! Brake and clutch fluids look clear. Car starts on the first spin but runs hard until warm. The rear wheel wells have modest 'glass flairs professionally installed. The car has been repainted METALFLAKE COPPER (!!!) over the original yellow. (Maybe that's why I like this car ~ it looks like mine did back in the day!)

The story is an older gentleman owned the car for many years. It was his pride and joy until he passed on. Then the car remained garaged for about 10 years, when it was discovered by the present owner (Mark), who had gone there to help do something else in the garage.

Someone left a deposit on the car THIS MORNING (:cry:) and has agreed to pay up within a week. I left our Club card on the windscreen and gave Mark a number to call in case the deal falls thru.

Not sure how much sleep I'll get until I learn if the car actually sells or not.:roll:

Good eye, Colin ~ thanks for this Post!

Frank T

Last edited by Frank T on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:29 am 

you guys have got it made mate....
we cant get a 240Z for under 5000 here if its a wreck or not....
i'd be buying them all up...the rarity of them in Australia has pushed the price through the roof..you can almost ask what ever you want cos u just cant find 'em anymore...
we sold a 240Z body . dissasembled, all in peices. most of the stuff was there but it was still basically a shell. No interior. we got 6500 for it...
and they would of paid more...
on average we got about 500 240Z per year in Australia...not many

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 am 

I quite agree. I feel this car should have cost about $3500-5000 USD. But every now and then we run across someone who has inherited such a car and really doesn't know what it's worth, or gets pressed into a corner by some sudden financial emergency (that's happening far too often here) and has to sell their dream at whatever loss. The elderly owners, who bought the cars years ago, kept them for decades and failed to keep up with what the market is doing, really lose when they sell their Zeds.

One of our members (Clive) recently bought an original survivor 1970 Z for cheap. I was given an intact 1971 car last year for FREE. Sometimes things get craZy here. Just last month, two Aussie Dollars equalled one English Pound Sterling, which equalled 1-1/2 US Dollars. I don't know what the conversion rate is today, but if 2x=1y=1-1/2z, you do the math and figure how much a $3,000 USD Zed would be worth Down Under. Maybe $5000?

*(BTW, extremely glad to hear you back in here ~ we were a bit worried about your fires)

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:08 am 

Ahhhh, and it is 1/71. So the emblems changed in 2/71 along with vents. I learn something still everyday about the Z. I'll check that link out as well. I kinda thought someone put on some flares on that, but I never saw that style before. Well, another good deal, hope he joins our club. I would of left it yellow though. To have a Mr.K look alike would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:17 pm 

Right Paul ~ I learn something new about these cars almost every time I come into this website."None of us is as smart as all of us" sure applies to Z cars.

And while I'm at it, I keep looking for my manuals to answer a question Obsidian Pete asked about the rear shock springs and tower length last year. Do you know how they changed, and when? (240s, 260s, 280s and all 2+2s were different lengths, as I undrstnd it).

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:24 pm 

I don't know, but after I part the 2+2, I can measure it and compare to the coupe. I only have 75,76,& 78 that I can measure and 1 75 2+2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 pm 

That'll do, I'm sure! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 pm 
Hey guys i bought the car from mark. Its my third z I'm driving it for the summer. Then start the resto this fall.I'm a new member of zccne and hope to meet you guys in Darian this summer.

Post subject: congrats....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:54 pm 

Good job, Man....Let's get that economy rolling!! I wish you good luck with her.....I'm in the need of a new Z also.....I received some promising news on possibly picking up a shell, from a new member, Cliff....welcome to the CLUB, welcome to all the new members. I believe any question about a Z, can be answered by the members of this fast growing, very informative group. And thanxz Frank T. for being on the lookout for me! And directing me to possibly, my new Z.....

TY, ZEYA SOON, BG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 pm 

HEY IRON!

Lucky boy! I ain't JEALOUS or nothin' :roll: Congratulations on finding that beauty about 4 hours before I did! :lol: I looked it all over and I know you got a great deal. I didn't like a few of the Mickey Mouse parts on the interior, but all that is trivial and easily replaced (wood simply doesn't belong in a Z car interior!)

So you've had Zs before, and appreciate them enough to get another one (careful ~ it's addictive ~ just ask anybody in here). So now, JOIN OUR CLUB! We're off to our second great Zeason and we're having a great time together. As of today we have 226 registered members (most of them in CT) who together own about 282 Z cars. We love to meet new members and I encourage you to come to our monthly meetings and get to know this terrific family of Z nutz. Our members' experience spans the first-car novice to the professional career Z mechanic, so you'll fit right in here somewhere.

And I'd love to see that 1971 at any of our meets or events. Please EMail me when you get a chance and let's get to know you?

Z YA!
Frank T
MbrshpDir/CTZCC
(Frank@CTZCC.Com)

Last edited by Frank T on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 pm 

Congratulations on your purchase!! You'll have to post some pictures of the new addition, the Craigslist post has expired. It looked great when I viewed them last week!! Do you currently own 3 Z's?

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm 
Sorry don't have pix yet. I do have 3 z now but the 280 will be leaving soon' I spent all winter fixing electrical problems and rot only to quit now. my girl almost kicked me out when I told her I got another car. but it ain't my fault I got a sickness some people are alcoholics I a z-oholic. I hpoe to see you guys in Darian this summer
Iron
71 240z
74 260z
77 280z leaving soon