Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

DO YOU THINK #41421 CAN BE RESTORED?
Poll ended at Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:09 am
Yes! Restore it! 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Nope, it's dead. Part it out! 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:09 pm 

Hey, why don't you two just throw those in the free pile at the next meet. Hehehehe, snicker. Frank, I would vote, but if you know me well enough, it's a tuff decision. So in my thinking, if you stripped down to the skeleton and have it acid dunk and see how much metal is left, ummmmm, who knows. Alot of work to restore it, or a little work just to drive it a few more years, race it, or whatever. Ok, I'll vote. Edit: ahhh man, I'm on the losing team, I tried, so how about that grill. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:39 pm 

Thanks for voting, Paul! Every idea helps decide what to do with this car. I don't have enough $ to restore it, even if it can be done. But I would rather see it restored or converted than see it parted or crushed.
I like Mike's idea about "merging" it with another car. Yes Mike, I have the title signed over ~ But I just want my old '70 car roadworthy again. If you think the '73 and the '71 could be "merged", why not make a pledge not to part it out, and buy the '71?

If it gets parted out, it will make a lot of people happy. If it gets RESTORED, it will make a lot more people happier, longer.

Yes Paul, the grille is yours if we part it out.
OR ~
I might just ship the whole car Down Under to ObsidianPete, who says there is a shortage of Z cars and partZ down there. It would make him a nice Christmas present.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:04 pm 

Frank, that would be quite an event if you ship it down under. Are you going to drive it there on the trailer ? I'll see you off from Long Island Sound and bring you an extra life jacket. Sounds like a trip to Davey Jones locker.

Post subject: 240z
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:58 pm 

hey frank, i can't buy that car from you, i'm in the doghouse now, i can't make it worse. i already have three zcars and an old truck. that car i have is really too nice to part out. zero rust and a nice paintjob. it needs interior and a title, 700 takes it, who wants it??? mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:29 am 

C'mon, Kev ~ I'm not COMPLETELY stoopid! :roll:

I would take the bridge! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:50 pm 

Does it have an E31 head? Are there many cracks in the dash...can't tell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:48 pm 

E-88 head ~ its a September 1971 car. Only the first 10,000 or so 240s had the E-31 head, including the first 600 "1970" cars made in 1969.

The dash has the obligatory three cracks, right where they always are.

OH! By the way ~ it has all the window stainless brightwork I will ever need! :D

Frank T

(PS I will still be coming to see you anyway, Robin ~ free coffee, right?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 am 

Hey Frank,

Sorry to say, but this Z is done. However, it would live vicariously through other Zs. Kind of like an organ donor! By the way, I'd like to add one nose badge and the cargo straps and hardware to my list. It's getting cold out there, so when can we start zstripping.

Ron - 71

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 pm 

OK! I'VE DECIDED TO PART IT OUT.

Please compile a list of the stuff you need and EMail me (Frank@CTZCC.Com) or PM me here on the website. I will respond to each message to confirm your part(s) and agree on a price.

First come, first granted. No fistfights. We're family.
Parts are cheap, btwn $5-$50. Club Kitty benefits from all sales.

Some partZ are spoken for. Please be good sportZ. If you ask for a part and I tell you it's yours, I will NOT sell it to anyone else. Engine and gearbox will be final pieces out. Some engine partZ might be sold separately.

Sincere thanks to everyone who gave advice on this. I had hoped it might live another 40 years, but I agree it is too far gone. It will be disassembled with care and dignity ~ that's the best I can do for it.

Farewell HLS30-41421. Wish your fate had been better.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 am 

I regret to adviZe the readers that two weeks of effort have FAILED to get this engine to turn through.

BaptiZing the cylinders and valve train with penetrating oil for many days has had no effect. Neither the starter (which works) nor a 1-foot breaker bar on the front pulley were able to exert enough torque to break the crank free and make the engine turn even a smidgen.:cry: Nineteen consecutive Jersey winters in the open air have taken their toll on this 154,000 mile L24.

The engine should, then, be parted. The E-88 head, new cam and 4-screw round top SUs should be useful, as will all other ancillary equipment. The replacement radiator has been spoken for, as have some other minor partZ. The block will have to be rebuilt if anyone needs it ($30?) and the 4-speed gearbox (should be a "71B" model) is probably OK, but there has been no way to test that.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:33 pm 

Hey Frank,

From a guy with very limited z car restoration experience, my thought is that this car could be worth a small fortune once the restoration is complete - provided that the restorer starts with a large fortune.

Seriously, for my 2 cents, I'm afraid it's a lost cause. I believe if one looked long and hard enough, particularly in these economic times, a much more solid 1-2 owner early 240, perhaps even a Series 1 car could be acquired and at the end of the day, restored at a lower overall investment and a lot less effort .

Robin Foote

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 pm 

:lol: :lol: Hahaha!

Thanks Robin ~ I like the way you put that! Funny.

You have a ton more experience in body restoration than I have, but even I can look under the car and see daylight thru the framerails and know that can't be a Good Thing. Once I got the car up on jackstands and slid under it, I realized the damage was more severe than I had first thought. This car will never again feel the wind in its hair.

There are LOTS of good partZ on it tho, which will help other Zs live a better life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:09 pm 

Frank,

Only a Marine would have had the nerve to crawl under that while on jacks in the condition I could see!

I think your donor/fundraiser is a way-great thing to have the car "carry on" in spirit with others that WILL have the "wind through their hair" - and for years to come hopefully. A much more noble transition than the fate of so many others that were not as fortunate to have such a caring "Godfather".

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:12 pm 

Frank,

By the way - I sent you an email with a small photo update of our progress on the 70'.

Have a great Thanksgiving. Adios.

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:40 pm 

hey Frank..
i'd defenetly try to save it.. otherwise it'd be a great wreck car...
First of all it would have to be totally stripped and new metal welded in.
Thats alot of work and alot of money!!!!!!!
would make a good race car too. usually there really rough so abit of bog and some metal plates welded over would do good.
still.....thats alot of work too.