Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Series one 240Z for sale
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:29 am 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=dXMIcH

Located in Sugarloaf, Pa (roughly an hour south of Scranton)

No idea if the price makes sense but I spoke to him on the phone, he's flexible on the price and would like to sell the whole lot( 260z parts car and spare stuff). The car currently passes inspection and he has been driving it for the past couple years. He said he and his wife are retiring and plan to travel.

It's out of my reach but I thought this might interest a club member. Series one cars are hard to find, it'd be cool to see it find a home in the club.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:03 pm 

Yep out of my reach too - plus I am out of garage space. Nice 280ZX mirrors.

Blue 78 280Z
TBD 73 240Z
Red 83 280ZX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:19 pm 

This is HLS30-07890, a July 1970 car. Many '70s were registered as 1971s, as agreed to btwn the dealer and the first owner. I don't like that they removed the 240 "wings" from the rear pillar, but this is a very cheap price for one of the original 11,000 240Zs ever made.
This car is not listed in the Internet Z Club registry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:21 pm 

So I actually went with a friend to look at this Z today, and yes I did take her for a spin. It's been a few years since I sat in an S30 but I didn't fumble for the door latch or anything...it all came right back. Sadly I can't say the same for the seat belt. What in the heck were they thinking with those?! Looked like something out of an aircraft and took me longer than I care to admit to find the adjustment on it.

The owner handled the restoration himself and I think he did a decent job considering he'd never restored a car before. It's not perfect by any stretch, and my friend (doesn't work on his cars) decided to pass on it. Wasn't for him.

Here's what I saw. The engine is an L24 with an E31 head, not original to the car but it started easy and ran well. The original block is included with the sale, a long with a truckload of other parts and a very rusty parts car. 4 spd trans shifted smoothly, clutch uptake seemed good and felt like a decent unit. The brakes worked but I think could be improved upon, exhaust sounds nice. The suspension was fully rebushed (spindle pins included) but rode harshly I thought, not sure why. Steering was tight, no clunking in the drive line.

The interior reinstallation effort was weak and the rear plastic panels were missing many clips and were loose. Interior needed work generally to be really nice, a few cracks in dashboard.

The clock works!

Body looks good for a driver, paint has a nice finish. The rear hatch panel appeared to be body filleted heavily and I'd bet should be replaced. That was the roughest bit of the body that I saw, overall it was pretty nice. The floor pan driver side had a patch, most of the original floor is still there and appeared to be really good. Passenger was good too. Battery area was spotless, also spare tire well was good too. There was a patch welded in above each T/C rod connection in front wheel wells but they appeared to be installed well. They could use seam sealer though for waterproofing.

It did have ZX mirrors but he had the original one. Original wheels too. Lots of spare bits and parts. All the emblems and trim were on it and in good condition.

Wipers work very slowly, turn signals also very slow.

The guy and his wife were very nice people and we complimented the effort he put into his resto, he did a lot of work in a small garage and has an entire album of photos he showed us. Hopefully this one finds a good home.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 pm 

So, what do you feel it's worth, in today's economy?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:06 pm 

Ahh, that's a good question. Hard to answer too, very subjective.

It could be worth the full asking price I'd guess, for the right person. I'm thinking either a person who wants a series one that is already pretty nice, and doesn't mind spending some time themselves tinkering with getting the interior back fully into shape. The hatch panel would be the most involved or expensive piece to have repaired, but could be left the way it is if it didn't need to be perfect to you. I would have a look at why it rides harshly though, again that's me.

BUT he was very quick to mention that the price was negotiable, and he seemed more interested in finding a buyer who'd be willing to take the parts lot with it. So I think the real price isn't the $25k he's asking anyway.

I look at it like this, say you bought it for $23, and did some things yourself, hired the rest out and spent maybe 10-15k doing that. Realistically you could have a very clean series one at that point for mid to high $30's. Less if you can handle the body/paint work involved in replacing the hatch panel.

Is that a deal in today's economy?

A lot of variables but I think it's a good car.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:03 pm 

Nice Follow-up on that Z Jay :thumbs_up: . Still good to see you haven't lost that itch for the Z. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:45 pm 

Let's be honest here John, who doesn't have the Z itch? :mrgreen:

And thank you, I'm glad share the info. I hope it helps someone here.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:07 pm 

Once you're infected, it never washes off.
There is no known cure, and recovery is not expected.