Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm 

That's interesting. So the float charger actually reduced the voltage of a fully charged battery? How about that. I'm going to have to remember that for the future.

Jay[/quote]

Hi Jay. I'm not sure if the float charger actually discharged the battery or if it was in "sleep mode" because a float chargers circuit board supposedly does not allow current flow into the battery until the voltage drops below the chargers output value.

I continued to experiment on my new battery (still connected to the car) by taking the float chargers completely off the battery for a few days and observed that it continued to drop minimal voltage daily. When it got down to about 12.8v I punked out and put my 13.7v float charger back on and brought the battery back to full charge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:16 pm 

Lead Zinc batteries can self-discharge in a number of ways. Enough moisture or grease across the top of the battery will allow a trickle from terminal to terminal on top-mounted posts. Old enough batteries can flake off enough lead residue which settles on the inside floor of the battery case to form a bridge btwn two cells, which will discharge (and kill) a cell or two. But the most-likely culprit is an electric dash clock or a security system, either of which can drain a tiny little bit over time and show you a small discharge btwn checks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm 

Yup! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:42 am 

The only jobs the battery is expected to do are to start the engine and run any accessories while the engine is off. As soon as the engine begins spinning the dynamo (your generator, magneto or alternator), your battery rests and accepts a re-charge until it reaches full capacity. Any current sent to the battery after it reaches full-charge gets shunted back to ground.

All electrical tasks are served by the dynamo as soon as the engine begins running. It is theoretically possible to install enough electrical accessories on your car (like Howie's fog horns, mega-speakers and Disco lights) to overcome your alternator's maximum output, in which case the battery would supplement the alternator to meet the demand for awhile.

Also, if your charging system dies while the engine is running, the battery will supply the (very small) primary ignition charge required to keep it running until the battery dies. You should get a dashboard warning (or "Betty's" scolding) if that occurs. Of course, the more accessories you use during that time, the faster the battery will drain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 am 

You'Z got sumptin' against my DISCO ballz, Frank? They can alwayz use chargin'. :thumbs_up: Aye!! :thumbs_up: 8) :lol: