Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:50 am 

Now that my misfire problem is seemingly cured, was looking at these mods this morning.

Has anyone done it? Was there a performance improvement?

Thanks in advance.

Karl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:41 pm 

Which mods?
Send a link.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:17 pm 

Frank,

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD ... 2c/11-2945

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/ ... 2c/11-2950

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/ ... 2c/11-2944

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am 

If the intake has actually been tested to show improvements, which I think Motorsports has done, then I would say go for it. :thumbs_up: Some vehicles will not benefit from this, like my truck, factory set up is actually better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:30 pm 

BTW, please don't be misled by claims that an air filter "boosts power by 5%" or "adds up to 4 horsepower", etc.

Engine horsepower is rated from factory dynamometer tests while the engine is "naked"; that is, no belt-driven alternators, water pumps, fans, air pumps, air cleaners, airconditioners, no attached clutch or transmission, etc. All the necessary operating needs are furnished by the test stand, so that the engine is completely free to make as much horsepower as it is capable of developing. That rating is called Brake Horse Power (BHP) and is measured at the naked flywheel. This is the very most horsepower your engine is capable of developing in that configuration, without making major internal changes in displacement, compression ratio, cam shafts, or induction systems.

The BHP they advertise is the greatest amount of power your engine can generate under that best-case scenario. Any accessories they add to the engine reduces the power you actually get to use on the road (WHP).

When they install that engine in your car and add those accessories, the available power at the wheels (called Wheel Horse Power) drops down by probably 30% of the factory specified BHP on the Dyno. One of those restrictions is the air cleaner, which is not necessary for running the engine in the Dyno Room, but is an absolute necessity for protecting your engine in real-life road conditions.

Replacing the (cheap/mass production) air cleaner system with a less-restrictive air cleaner (like you intend to do) actually allows the engine to breathe more freely and gives you back a small percentage of the power which the engine is capable of developing, but it doesn't *ADD* anything to the horsepower the factory Dyno test showed. So by installing a freer-flowing air cleaner, you might lower your power loss from 30% to 27%, but please don't think you are actually adding any ponies to the original factory specs of your engine. The only add-on parts which can actually do that are superchargers and extra or larger carburetors.

We've all met Junior Gearheads who have added many aftermarket parts to their cars and claim to have boosted their engine power above factory specs. They're fun. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm 

Frank,

Thanks for the explanation! After looking at the factory air intake setup, I don't really like it. It does seem a bit restrictive wrt to air flow.

So I think I'm going to make the change. I just need to decide whether to just change to the cone or do the pipes too.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:27 pm 

Well, anything which reduces restriction to the airflow is a good thing. Nissan would have installed freer intake if it hadn't cost more than the standard production gear they used. Some of the parts are interchangeable with other model Nissans, so they save money by cookie-stamping some parts. Once you own the car, you're free to spend a few bucks improving on what they gave you.

Your idea certainly lets your engine breathe a little better, and in any event, it looks nicer than the stock gear. Seeing some polished aluminum or chrome under the hood shows people you have paid some individual attention to your car, and leads them to wonder if you've increased the power and performance in other ways, as well. I'd say go for it. :wink: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:07 pm 

I see alot of people install the pipes and all, I'll just assume it's a better way to go, but someone who has done it would be able to confirm it's better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:54 pm 

Thanks all.
I just went with the K&N direct replacements for the stock filters. Put them in this morning. Originals were in a bit of rough shape. Some debris in the boxes. Vacuumed it out, put the new ones in, much better. Smoother quieter. Think there might have been some restriction due to the condition of the original filters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:52 pm 

Do you know how to post photographs on here yet?