Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Kumho tires?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:44 pm 

Anyone have experience with Kumho's "ECSTA AST" tires? Road noise? Wet handling?
Considering them as replacements this week.

Thanx,
Frank

Post subject: Re: Kumho tires?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:18 am 

Not sure if they are exactly the same but I have a set on my 280z. Like them a lot, they stick and are quiet. Seem to wear well too.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:40 pm 

Thanks Karl, I accept your endorsement. I was wondering about road noise.
Just placed my order, will pick them up Monday. 8) :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 am 

Hey Frank sorry I didn't see this until now.
I had a set on my 97 Saab 900 turbo and they were one of the worst tires I ever had.
It was about 2004 so the tire composition/design may have changed.
Also the dynamics of the two cars are vastly different so you may have different results.
Wet felt like driving on bananas, dry was OK.
For example at a stoplight in the rain if I stepped hard they would spin. The Saab was only 185 peak HP if I remember and not a lot of torque.
Snow was awful too not that it matters on your Z.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am 

Thanks both of you. I got the tires and had them mounted on new aluminum 5-slots, but they sent me the wrong lug nutz so I haven't actually driven the car on them yet. They are VERY low and when the Z comes down off the stands I might have to get down on my hands and knees to crawl into and out of it. I might not be happy about this choice.

I read some really scary reviews about these tires if they were of the older composition and of Chinese manufacture. They are Korean tires but ROK subcontracted China to make some and China used different compounds and different sidewall construction. Those Chinese copies shredded under wheelspin and slid all over creation in the wet despite a really aggressive rain-throwing tread. Before I accepted mine I made sure they were from Korea. Vinny endorses these and says I will love them, but I hope I can get into and out of the car without embarrassment. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 am 

Hey Frank, what changes were made to the tire and wheel size to make the car so much lower? :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:41 pm 

No changes to the car, I just let half the air out of the tires. :lol:

No. Seriously, I switched from 14" rims to 15" rims, but took an expert's advice and bought 225-50x15 tires rather than the 225-70x14s I had previously. They aren't really low-profiles, but the older tires were seriously taller than the new ones are, and I fear that I may have lowered the car to an uncomfortable level. We won't know until they send me the correct lugnutz and we actually get the car down on the ground.

If I don't like 'em they'll be up for sale while I buy taller sidewalls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 pm 

Hi Frank. Sorry to hear that you had to cancel one of your bucket list items. :( :cry:

When changing rim size the diameter of the tires should be within 1/4" of the original tire, so as not to change ride height, suspension geometry/travel and having to recalibrate the cars speedometer. All tires have a SPEC list that will tell you the "revolutions per mile" that is needed for that tire to travel 1 mile. You just need to keep those numbers as close to the same as possible.

After doing some research I found out that the original/stock tires were 195/70R14's rated at 840 rev. per mile. So for every 840 full axle rotations your car axle spun, the car traveled 1 mile. But when the 1 1/2" TALLER 225/70R14's (rated at 789 rev.per mile) were on the car and the axle rotated the calibrated 840 revolutions the car actually traveled over 100 yards further = going faster/further then the speedo and odometer indicated. So if you would like the speedometer/odometer to be closer to being accurate you should look for a tire size and profile number that is "rated" as close as possible to requiring 840 tire revolutions to travel a one mile distance. The 225/50R15's you bought are 869 but 225/60R15's are 828 r.p.m. If the suspension is too low to your liking and you want tires that will bring the car up higher ... then forget everything you just read.

I went through all of this when I upsized my Escalade from 15's to 22's. So good luck. :thumbs_up: :mrgreen:

Some places allow returns on tires.Maybe you can exchange them? :shock:

Howie

Last edited by HowardJ on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:51 am 

Critically important info Howie, thanks.
I know the speedometer can be corrected with different tooth (and color) speedometer cable drive gears, but that is meant to compensate for different differential gears. I wonder if a 'wrong' speedometer gear might adjust my indicated speed closer to correct when I change tire size?

PS: Thanks for the condolences. It turns out that shipping a private car to Europe *AND BACK* is incredibly expensive, time-consuming and complicated....horrible complexities which are meant to ensure you will not abandon or sell the car in Europe. Hagerty wanted nearly $1,000 to insure my Z in Europe for less than a month of driving. The shipping company required full copies of the insurance policy before they would confirm a shipping date and name a vessel. Hagerty demanded the name of the vessel and the shipping date before they would issue the policy, which is absurd, since the car is covered by the shipping lines while it's onboard the vessel and Hagerty needn't insure it during the sea transport.

Then, in the final week before I had to load the car onto the ship in NYC in order to get it to Holland in time to meet me (and Vinny was working 18hrs a day to get it ready), the shippers wanted something called an ATA-Carnet ("Kar-nay"), which requires me to deposit a $12,000 'bond' with my state Chamber of Commerce (cost depends on the insured value of the car), promising I will bring the car back to the USA and not sell it (or abandon it) in Europe. If I failed to return the car to America, they would send my money to Europe to pay for any disposal fees. Also, when I did return the car here, they would hold my money long enough to check with every jurisdiction I visited in Europe to ensure I didn't skip out on any unpaid damages or tickets I might have incurred there. If I owed somebody money there, the Chamber would send them enough of my money to settle the claimed cost (no due-process of a court ruling required, they just pay whatever Europe demands). Then, when they received notice that Europe was satisfied, the Chamber would reimburse however much of my Carnet was left. The International Carnet treaty cites no time limit on how long that might take, so I could wait months for the return of my money.

There were many other silly complications too; overseas shipping companies don't deal directly with individuals, they only deal with registered corporations or shipping agents (brokers). I don't know about brokers in other countries but the shipping brokers here in the USA are ALL accused of being lying, cheating, low-down deceptive thieves. First, they advertise themselves as 'shipping companies' when they don't own a single boat. And they advertise themselves as vehicle transporters when they don't own a single truck. All they do is subcontract each account out to the lowest bidder and you're stuck with the result. They lure customers by offering a very low bid (maybe $500-$700 or so) to transport the car each way, and get it to the destination by a certain date. You don't even get a printed contract to read before you hire them. As soon as you pay your deposit by credit card over the phone, that's the last you hear from them until you start calling every day in desperation. They begin dodging you and never return your calls. When you actually do make contact they tell you "they're working on it" and offer a list of reasons why your car hasn't been picked up on time, or that they can't find a boat willing to haul your car at that price, etc. Finally, as your deadline closes in, they tell you they can only arrange for the car to arrive on time for an extra $1,000 - $1,500. Don't take my word for it, research overseas container shipping companies yourself for entertainment. Read the Customer Reviews for each agency; you'll find two pages of professionally-written, glowing accolades (obviously phony, written by employees themselves, all in the same 'voice'), followed by 32 pages of screaming customers threatening to sue them and burn their building if they can find them, etc.

In short, I found it just not worth it. Three weeks of high-pressure effort ending in a week of ever-increasing short-fuse demands which depended upon someone else doing something, over which I had no control or influence. Very frustrating. It's a lot easier to import a car from one country to another for personal use (like Thor did, for example), but if you intend to simply visit other countries in your personal car and then return home with it, the game is FAR more complex.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm 

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow, sorry to hear about the scrubbed euro trip Frank. I mentioned this one to my wife back when it was first posted and wondered what the total costs would be ship my Z there and back. Had no idea of all the other B.S. you ended up wading though.

So, I'm now counting on you leading the way again to Webster NY this July! :wink:

And good luck with your tires. Any estimate on when you get your Z back from Vinny?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:07 pm 

"He's working on it" :lol:

Actually, he has accomplished almost my whole laundry list but needs me to test- drive it for results and final tweaking. That can't happen until we put the new wheels and tires on it; I brought them to Vinny and discovered the company had sent me the wrong lug nuts. Another 3 day delay, trying to get them to send the correct ones. Today I just found some the right size and bought a bag of them (more than I needed, but that's the only way they're sold) for $35. Now I need to get them up to Vinny and just you watch ~ the pre-paid replacements will be waiting for me here at home when I get back! :evil: I've spent about $4,000 in preparation for a trip which I'm not taking. :roll:

The 'insignificant' discovery that they had sent the wrong lug nuts was actually the very final straw that broke the camel's back. I fumed about it all the way home, slept on it, and decided the 2 weeks of fun wasn't worth the month(s) of expense, effort and agony it was taking to get me there and back. I cancelled my trip the next morning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 pm 

I have bought Kumhos for other vehicles and really liked them. Next week I’m picking up a set of TOYO Extensa A/S from Town Fair Tire, 195/70-R14. You won’t find them on their website anymore because they just went out of production. I got them by calling their “Tire Expert” 844-239-0608 yesterday in fact. They matched Walmart’s online price as delivered. $300.10 after a $59.00 mail in rebate. I’ve driven about 700 miles on tires from 1989 so I won’t be able to compare.

I also think Toyo was one of the original tire providers for nissan. 90% sure thats what my original spare tire is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 pm 

Back in 1971 when I bought my Z I recall it having Toyo tires on it as well. Since then I've had the following tires on 14 inch Ansen "Sprint" aluminum slotted wheels:

Delta :thumbs_down:
Dunlop :thumbs_down:
Pirelli :thumbs_up:
Toyo :thumbs_down:

The Delta's were the worst tires ever and weren't really a sports car tire. The Pirelli's were great performers, but really wore out quickly due to the rather soft rubber compound (and I was a lot younger then) 8) . The Toyos seemed to ride very hard, not much grip, and I had I trouble keeping them balanced. I also think the Ansen wheels contributed to the imbalance problems.

In 2007 (129K miles on the OD) I upgraded the wheels to Konig 15 inch "Rewind" wheels with Toyo Proxes tires mounted. Wasn't that happy with the Toyos but loved the wheels. Since then I have had two sets of Yokohama "S Drives" 205/55/R15W mounted on those wheels.

These have been by far the best tires I've had on the car. Funny, these tires are made in the USA. They ride and handle well and get decent wear and they seem to hold a balance well. The car now has 186K on the original motor and runs great.

I just thought I would share some "tire history" with you Z folks since I've tried a few different brands over the years.

Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm 

Thank you, ObeWan, for your venerable input. :D
I just saw the Z down on the new tires last night and I really like the new stance of the car 14" of rubber on the deck fore and aft. We'll see how it handles tmrw for a test drive.

I considered Michelins, Dunlops and a few other brands before being talked into these Kumhos. I had Dunlop Roadspeeds on my old Healeys and liked them a lot, but you can't find them today. I also used to buy Sears Roadhandlers with skinny white sidewalls on them and they looked great on my Z, held well in all weather, but shredded themselves right off the rims after about 10,000 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm 

I just saw the Z down on the new tires last night and I really like the new stance of the car 14" of rubber on the deck fore and aft. We'll see how it handles tmrw for a test drive.

Does your reference to 14" of rubber mean that you went back to your original size rims? Either way, enjoy driving your refreshed mistress. :mrgreen: 8) :thumbs_up: