Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 pm 

Think I've resolved the issue with the air conditioning on my '72 Z (per my earlier post), expansion valve at the evaporator likely needs replacement. So while things are apart to access the evaporator and thus the valve considering doing the blower motor upgrade. I did a brief search here to see if this has previously been discussed, didn't find anything.
On another Z website I found some threads on the subject. Apparently a blower motor from a late '80s/early '90s Honda Civic is a direct fit (however appears to require some minor electrical connection modifications).

So in an effort to get as much info as possible before proceeding, any BTDTs from the group on this upgrade? Any additional info, experiences and/or reference links about this would be greatly appreciated.

In advance, Thanks for your assistance and insight.

Best,
Chris
'72 240Z (owned since Feb. '74)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:16 pm 

Vinny Bedini replaced my froZen 1970 240 blower motor with a later one, but I wasn't there to witness what he put in. It works better and sounds 'supercharged' on high. The original one was rather anemic. You might call him with this question: 860-355-1829. Remind him you're our member.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 am 

The 280 is direct fit and a slight upgrade, Honda might be better, it's on my bucket list to try.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:23 pm 

I just did a blower motor swap, and used the 99 Kia Sportage blower motor.
It's $25 from Rockauto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 4279&jsn=1

The bolt holes line up, the plug is the same, and it rotates the same as the stock blower motor. It requires shaving down the rim of the housing as the squirrel cage is larger, but this was fairly quick and easy with a rotary tool.

It moves a lot of air. I was only able to do a comparison outside the car, because some of my dash hoses need to be resealed and reinstalled. It felt like it was moving significantly more air than the stock fan.

I have a feeling the biggest difference in your blower effectiveness will come from making sure everything is well sealed, regardless of what fan you go with. A friend of mine did the Honda blower swap and he felt like it was a marginal improvement at best - probably because most of the air wasn't making it to the vents in either case.

All of my S30s have been 280s, so I can't comment on compatibility with the 240. Hopefully it's still an option for you. Maybe someone can chime in on whether the 280 housing is larger than the 240.

Also, I'm not sure about the Honda blower, but last time I looked into it (~10 years ago) it was significantly more expensive unless you got it at a yard, which is why I didn't bother at the time.

Here are pics of my install, I hope they are of some use.
(Moved pics to imgur) https://imgur.com/a/LGd5gdv

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 pm 

Excellent info Forrest, thanks! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:09 am 

The 280 fits in directly, no mods. I have alot of air flow.....if it can be more than what I have, I'm open to trying something else..........I wonder if we can do flow test with a syncrometer? :idea: