Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm 

Well, I have finally gone over to the "other side" and converted my '71 Z's mechanical point distributor to an electronic type by installing a Pertronix Ingnitor unit. :shock: I did this in order to remedy a loss of power I seem to experience during hard acceleration on the higher end (around 4500RPM). I always knew when I needed to replace the points in the Z when I would notice a stumble under load at low RPM.

The Pertronix unit installs easily (as many of you already know). This did seem to help smooth out the overall performance of the engine providing quicker starts, smoother low end and better performance on the high end. I still have some drop in power as it kinda flatens out at over 5500 RPM.

I've read other posts on this site where people have had similar issues which may have been caused by poor fuel, dirty fuel filter or even a poorly performing aftermarket mechanical fuel pump. I have had one of these "stamped metal lid" type aftermarket fuel pumps installed for years now so I figured that maybe this could be limiting fuel flow to the carbs as I believe Frank T may have suggested in an earlier post. Soooo, I ordered and received an OEM style fuel pump which I plan to install tomorrow. Hopefully I can give it a trial run on Tuesday when the weather gets better. I've always put at least 93 octane in the tank so that should not be a problem. The fuel filter is clean and valves are properly adjusted. I may be advancing the timing a little more which seemed to help also. I just don't want to go too far advanced where I then start to get that nasty pinging under load.

Oh!, I'm keeping a spare point set in the car just in case. :P

More later!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:45 pm 

Earlier this summer I replaced my new aftermarket stamped fuel pump for an old OEM one because my 260z was running out of breath at 4500rpm. That one change resulted in a dramatic improvement, easier starts and more power all around.... And the ability to run out to 6000rpm in first and second (may be able to in third but that is unconfirmed).

I think you'll be glad you made the switch! I hope the weather is dry tomorrow so you can give it a good ride.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 am 

I used to enjoy replacing and setting my old points and condenser ~ when my back was younger and my eyesight was perfect. I had to fabricate a special 90* screwdriver to allow me to R&R the condenser inside the distributor housing without dropping that impossibly tiny screw down the distributor shaft into the engine...still got that screwdriver, and smile grimly each time I see it.

For today's mechanics, the procedure would sound absurd, especially having to repeatedly "bump" the starter until the distributor cam was directly beneath the contact point follower, then finding the correct size feeler gauge and adjusting the points to the right gap. And nobody today probably ever had to lubricate his ignition advance plates with lubriderm (or whatever they sold you with the points).

Your new electronic ignition eliminates all that. I've run Pertronix for years now and as you said, the performance is smooth and reliable thru the rev-band. The same distributor and Pertronix set has worked reliably in both my 240 and the new 280. I haven't had to adjust a thing in years. :D

The only warning I got (and heeded) when the Pertronix was installed, is to carry a spare set with the car at all times. Pertronix work fine right up until the moment they die ~ unlike a worn set of points, there is no gradual deterioration of performance as a warning sign to get a new set this week. One second you're humming along with a smile, and the next moment you're on the side of the road making desperate phone calls to AAA.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:12 pm 

:lol: I've done the same thing Frank. I got to the point where I found it was easier to just pull the distributor (after recording the clock position of the rotor of course) and replacing the points and condenser on the bench. That way I could easily rotate the distributor cam to to make full contact with the new point's rubby thing. Replacing the condenser was easier that way also and I usually check the timing after a point install anyway. It was also a lot easier to shake out any screws that fell down into the distributor. :oops:

I did install the new fuel pump and replaced a couple of old rubber fuel lines. I found a slight leak coming from the engine cooling inlet connection which is connected to the radiator by the lower radiator hose. This piece is mounted to the engine with two bolts and has a gasket which I don't recall ever being replaced. :oops: So I drained the coolant, removed the hoses, removed the lower hose and heater hoses, removed the gasket, cleaned the mating surfaces replaced the gasket, re-attached the hoses and filled her back up with coolant. Started her up and no leaks! :D

Took an Aleve and called it a day.

Anxious to see if the combination of new fuel pump and Pertronix does the trick tomorrow. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 am 

Pertronix was the single best improvement I ever did to my 240Z.

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:39 pm 

Hey Frank Lubriderm is for dry skin but it wouldn't do much for the plates. :lol:
Lubriplate is what you're referring to.

John you will definitely like the new ignition and I think you solved the problem by changing the pump and lines.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:15 pm 

I just took the Z out for a test run on the parkway. She pulled strong through 6000 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:20 pm 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:04 pm 

Which equated to exactly 55mph, right John? 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:36 pm 

That's great to hear John! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 pm 

Yep, I hit 55 with my new set of 8 inch Panasport wheels :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 pm 

New Panasports John? I'll need pictures plzz. :D

Also, what initial ignition timing setting did you settle on?

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 pm 

OK Jay, You caught me. I lied about the wheels :oops:

Got the timing set about 7 degrees BTDC, at idle w/vacuum lined plugged. I had the car out today again, and still no pinging :D She's running real good for a 180K mile car. :thumbs_up:

You gonna make the trip from PA for the coffee and cars this Sunday? :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 pm 

I'd like to..... Would you believe it snowed here this week already?

We are already engaged this weekend or I'd try to. I'm always game for a road trip. I'm anxious for spring already!

I'm glad to hear your car is running well, it's a beautiful example. It doesn't look like it has a mile over 10k on it.

If you do replace your wheels with Panasports I've got dibbs on your old ones! :lol:

Jay