Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Rust in fuel tank
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:41 pm 

I think Caswell is the way to go too. The other products looked good too but I got the sense that they could fail in time. The only drawback that I can see with the epoxy is that it is rigid. If one were to back over a big rock or high curb and dent the tank the seal would crack and allow moisture to get at the inerior metal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:58 pm 

Note to myself:

Don't back over big rocks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:40 pm 

:shock: :lol: :lol: :?

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:57 pm 

Been there...done that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:49 pm 

Our steadfast member and President Emeritus Uncle Phil once loaned his 280zx to his son to drive to the senior prom (I think; something like that). The next time Phil had the car up on the lift he noticed a huge dent in the underside of the fuel tank. His son had said nothing.

Convinced his car had been backed over a huge rock which had dented the tank and his son had lied by omission, Phil brought the Wrath of the Z-Gawds down on the poor kid, who steadfastly protested his innocence.

Long story short, Phil eventually found out that his fuel tank air vent hose was blocked (mud dauber nest) and the electric fuel pump had sucked the tank so hard it had collapsed inward. True story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 pm 

I had four sons. Many mysterious things happened. I would ask about them and get blank stares.

Too bad about the collapsed tank. It happened to me once after I replaced a cap with a non vented one.

My tank for the Z has a couple of shallow dents on the right rear quarter from the previous owner.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Our steadfast member and President Emeritus Uncle Phil once loaned his 280zx to his son to drive to the senior prom (I think; something like that). The next time Phil had the car up on the lift he noticed a huge dent in the underside of the fuel tank. His son had said nothing.

Convinced his car had been backed over a huge rock which had dented the tank and his son had lied by omission, Phil brought the Wrath of the Z-Gawds down on the poor kid, who steadfastly protested his innocence.

Long story short, Phil eventually found out that his fuel tank air vent hose was blocked (mud dauber nest) and the electric fuel pump had sucked the tank so hard it had collapsed inward. True story.

Hi Frank. I'm somewhat skeptical that an electric fuel pump can produce enough negative atmosphere inside a stamped rib gas tank to collapse it. That would have to be one hell of a sucker to do that. :shock: I'd be afraid to open the gas cap while the engine was running, for fear of getting sucked into the fill pipe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm 

Gee Howie, the rumor of your death was greatly exaggerated. Welcome back from the dead.

Phil sent us pictures of the damaged tank and by applying 14 lbs per square inch of atmospheric pressure on an almost zero pressure tank, you can indeed collapse it. One of the symptoms he quoted was that he was in fact unable to open his gas cap to top off the tank, and couldn't understand why.

*(Please zee the Upcoming Events for this weekend's trip to Alice's Restaurant. Would be nice to eyeball you in person now that I know you're still alive).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 pm 

Took all this time to push the dirt out of the trench. Ha.Ha. :D If it was mentioned that the gas cap couldn't be removed, then yes, it definitely sounds feasible, albeit a freak occurrence. I plan to attend the gathering at Ross's, so we can unilaterally do the eye balling thing. 8) Very busy summer. :( :twisted: 8) :thumbs_up: