Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Heater core
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:08 pm 

Looking for input here.

Since my engine rebuild over the winter of 2015/16 I opted to bypass my heater core when I reinstalled everything, I thought it best to play it safe. My intention was to give myself time to pull my heater core and clean it up and most importantly replace the rubber elbows that are on it before filling it with hot coolant again.... They are original and no doubt completely dry rotted.

Anyway now I'm thinking since the core is original as well and I'm going to install new carpet this year I may need to consider replacing the core. I've read on other forums that the replacement cores don't last very long though.

So what kind of advice do you have? Should I just flush it out and reinstall or look for an alternative?

Jay

Post subject: Re: Heater core
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 pm 

If I had it out of the car and in my hands, I would probably have it flushed out and pressure tested. After all.... it is just a miniature radiator. And like you said, not all the after market parts are as long lasting as the originals. Good luck. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

Howard J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:02 pm 

Thanks Howard. I'm planning on that. I'm just wondering if it won't spring a leak in the near future anyway due to age?

Maybe I'm over thinking it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:11 pm 

A gun-design engineer friend of mine rides an old-school BMW motorcycle as a summer daily driver. He took the heater core out of a dead 240Z and mounted it on the crash bar of his bike, routed piping thru it and uses it as an oil cooler. He has measured nearly 80psi on it an it never dripped a bit.
Completely unrelated to your question I realiZe, but it just shows they are durable. Mine died a few years back and it took less than 2 days to source another and replace it. The rubber stoppers beneath the carpets are intended to drain water from the footwells. The biggest actual problem I had was purging the air bubble in my cooling system afterwards because I didn't refill it properly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:44 pm 

I hear they are durable, heck it has lasted this long. Where did you source the replacement from?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:09 pm 

A Sep/71 240Z parts car a nice NJ guy donated to the Club. He had driven it all thru college, dated his wife in it, had kids and dogs and couldn't drive them around in it so it didn't get used much. One night he pulled into his steep uphill driveway and tore the exhaust system off the car so he parked it at the top of the driveway and didn't move it for more than 20yrs. Not only did all the tires go flat (and of course the brakes fused themselves to the brake drums), but the hot NJ summers let all 4 wheels melt into the driveway almost up to the hubs.

One day he just wanted it gone and contacted the first Z Club he could find listed on the internet. We pulled a trailer to NJ and gratefully accepted possession and paperwork for HLS30-41421. It was the toughest Z I've ever had to move (so far). We brought it back to CT and disassembled it piece by piece, selling everything to Club members only; no piece less than $5, no piece more than $20. There are a lot of our cars today bearing donor organs from #41421.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:22 pm 

That's awesome! What a great way to handle that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 am 

The past four years ive had the heater core hooked up but thought it was clogged and never bothered messing with the heat. This winter I decided to pull the core out (Not fun in the low 30*s) to clean it and found that though it was a little dirty, it still flowed very well and was in good shape. Turns out that there is a flap above the heater core that was closed the entire time which is why my heat "didnt work". Id definitely try it out before pulling it out. If your heater controls are a mess like mine are, you can look under the dash on the drivers side for a lever arm that will open and close the flap above the heater core.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 pm 

Thanks Porkbun!

Mine worked last I know, it's the old rubber elbows I don't trust. But I was thinking I'd update it if it's recommended as now is the ideal time. Sounds like I'll just be cleaning and servicing it and replacing the elbows.