Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Transmission swap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 pm 

Rereading your posts im realizing you swapped the diff first and ran that with your 4 speed.... Which of course felt really quick. It also makes sense why your 5 speed swap slowed it down a bit from there, because your trans ratios then went milder. I'm thinking had you not run the 3.9 with your 4 speed you wouldn't feel that way. Just a guess.

Also id like to hear more about the Ferrari incident, as well as the cross country adventures.

That's one of my dreams, to drive cross country in a fun car.... Ideally the Z. I really think I may buy a car one day from the West coast just so I can drive it back.

I probably need a therapist...... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 pm 

1. Don't waste your money on therapy; once bitten by the Z-bug there is no known cure and recovery is not expected. We all suffer together and our monthly meetings sometimes resemble AA meetings :lol: .

2. Driving my Z twice across the USA (and once across Canada) remain some of the greatest memories of my lifetime. Totally alone with my car, exploring uncharted roads (before GPS and cellphones) and remaining intimately familiar with all the vital signs of my car each day, I'm sure no closer relationship was ever bonded btwn rider and horse. HOWEVER, I was a lot younger then and I'm fairly sure my back would not tolerate that 1970 Datsun seat that long again. Last summer I drove just to Rochester and back and nearly needed help getting out of the car twice. Further, I wouldn't even think of doing that again without air-conditioning.

3. The total damage to my Z for all those trips combined involved one tire, a few headlamps, some fuses, an alternator and several sets of plugs and points. Even the original aluminum radiator held together until after the final cross-country adventure.

4. My exciting adventure with the Ferrari is detailed in my post "FORMER PLAYMATE FOR SALE" under General Z Discussion. Forgive me for not posting a link here for your convenience; my computer recently refuses to capture and paste links. This was the incredible event during which my Z convinced me it qualified as a bonafide world-class sportscar and endeared itself to me for my lifetime. Driving a 275GTB/4 at more than 100mph thru the mile-long Pali tunnel system on Oahu, I was overtaken by my own Z. There are simply no words in the English language which could possibly describe to you how indelible that experience was to me. I can still close my eyes and relive it and it can still make me hyperventilate, nearly 40yrs later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 pm 

Jay, I've gone back and found the PLAYMATE post. I added a comment to highlight it so it would be easier for you to find. It's the next-best thing to capturing a link, I guess.
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:53 pm 

What a great story that was Frank! I'm so glad you didn't paraphrase it for me here, that was a great read. I've never been to Hawaii but I sure feel like I was there with you that day...... Great tale!

Growing up I had metal model of that very same model Ferrari in my room....in red too. Looked just like that.

I can tell your Z found the right home with you, as I feel mine did with me. Hell I actually think that mine really did find me in a way. It is the perfect car for me and, like yours does im sure it always delivers a fun and memorable driving experience!

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:43 pm 

I did post this in my intro thread too, but my friend and I took a day trip to Vinni's shop and picked up our transmissions. I'm very glad I went, as Vinni is a heck of a nice guy and he's got more stories to tell than we had time for that day (I think we talked for 2-3 hours though), I guess a second trip back will be in order. :mrgreen:

The transmissions look like new and Vinni emphasized to both of us that if we have any issues we shouldn't hesitate to bring them back....he does not want any unsatisfied customers. How often do you hear that anymore?

There was an interesting thing he pointed out to us about the shifters though, the 4 speed shifter is a bit longer between the pivot point and the bottom. He said you can get the 4 speed stick in there, but that when you shift into gear it over-engages and actually causes a misalignment between the gears which will cause premature wear.

So the 5 speed shifter is necessary, and according to Vinni getting a bit hard to find. He also said he's seen 4 speed shifters being sold online as 5 speed ones - so to beware of that when looking.

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:08 pm 

See? I learn something new each time I open this website. One more reason I love this Club!
Never knew that about the 4-spd shifter, thnx.

This is the reason the CTZCC thrives from each individual member's experience. As much as any of us might know about these cars, the newest-join can teach us new things (and that frequently happens) because (s)he's had some weird experience with his/her car the rest of us have not. The future of our Club rests in the hands of our youngest members, and they are trying hard to learn as much as possible about these cars before us "old guys" park them for good. Thus, we pretty much have a constant exchange of technical info among us, but the new guys very frequently introduce something the rest of us never heard of. That's why every single member (even young ones like you Jay :lol: ) is important to this Club and to the survival of our cars for future generations to enjoy and maintain after we're gone.

I do recall once while I was trailering my Z, Vinny yelled at me and told me some things about my mother I never knew, because I had placed the shifter in gear to help immobilize the car. I will never do that again, nor will I ever forget his rage about me doing it. Apparently, this rugged crankshaft can actually be snapped if the car gains a little rolling room in either direction and the gearbox is engaged. Always leave the box in neutral when the car is tethered on a trailer.

Who knew?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm 

Wow I never knew that. I'm sure I've broken that rule before, definitely not going to do that again!

I love learning new things about Z's, and I'm glad to be able to contribute to the knowledge bank here. Although in truth I was just passing along something Vinni told me.

Jay