Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: FastKid's 260
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:53 pm 

I just found the page with the info on the car show :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:42 am 

Consider it, it would be a fun adventure. We could all cruise down together, stay at a cheap motel for one night, meet Jay and show all the cars together. Spend most of the day at the car show, pig-out on junk food and all drive back to CT together before it got dark. If the Club ever finds leadership again, we would serve as a place for Jay to visit when we have events within striking distance of Scranton. At least he'll meet some Z friends he knows how to contact if he needs help with his 260.

You don't brag much. You failed to tell Jay that the night before you made your Club debut at the annual Fall Outing picnic, you spent the night swapping a set of round top SUs, manifolds, linkage, and fuel lines onto your car ~ the first major work you had ever done to it ~ then drove alone all the way to the picnic. AND IT WORKED. Your car made the long trip from your home down to Darien and most of the way back. :wink: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:34 pm 

Im not one to brag usually. Truthfully I have been a "member" of car forums before for years with out ever posting one thing, so this thread dedicated to my car is sort of a big deal to me :mrgreen: . Also I wasnt alone on the ride down to the meet Porkbuns was with me the whole way going 50 mph on the highway never giving up on me. :thumbs_up: . I'm sad the first club event I went to happened to be the last scheduled. Everyone was amazing someone (the man with the blue wide body z) even saw me struggling and wiggled my fusable links for me when my z wouldnt start at the end of the day. I hope things like this can still happen even with out our leaderahip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

OK Andy, I took the pictures of the ANSA pipes, but my stoopid computer won't let me print them on this website. I can print meaningless junk pictures off the internet, but nothing from my own library. I'm not finding a set like these on the internet to copy, either. The closest I can find are these:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-ro ... -dual.html

or two of these bolted side by side:

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-1502-a ... n-new.aspx

but mine are longer and bend downward as they exit the tail of the car.

They are two sets of the standard ANSA side-by-side twin-pipe Sports mufflers siamesed together (two exhaust pipes splitting into 4 chrome-tip tail pipes). They have been configured to exit all 4 pipes from the center of the car. If unbolted and separated into two units, they could be mounted as left and right pairs, or individually used on single-pipe cars (Alfa, Healey, MG). Each chrome tip has its own internal baffles, and I guess it's up to the owner whether he wants to install any other muffler or resonator along the pipe(s).

I'm fairly convinced these can't be used for a Z, due to the 15* downsweep bend in the mufflers themselves. If they were straight we could turn them sideways (O/U) and poke them out the mouse hole, but that curve doesn't look like it says "Z" to me. Plus, the chrome tips are all beveled upward which would become *sideways* if we turned them O/U to exit the mouse hole.

I'd love to hear these sing on ANYthing; they're just collecting dust and spiders.

*(AND, you forgot to mention you met *THE* Bob Sharp in person) :thumbs_up:

Attachments:
Duck-smash-computer.jpg
Duck-smash-computer.jpg [ 3.29 KiB | Viewed 5430 times ]

Last edited by Frank T on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 pm 

This guy hand-makes ANSA mufflers and tips (used to be $250, now $400) and a couple of our members have them on their Zs. Sound exactly like the old originals did, but they are flowing thru a single pipe into dual tips, rather than dual pipes all the way from the engine to the bumper.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/90594-c ... -diameter/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 pm 

Those hand made ansa tips are beautiful, i just read the thread and it seems like 3 years in things went sour and communications stopped around 2013. Did things ever get resolved?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 pm 

Not really resolved, but a couple members got the exhausts and they sound marvelous. The guy who makes them has a full-time job which makes him travel almost constantly so he just doesn't have as much bench time as he wants to fill all the orders.

I just don't see any performance advantage from adding them to a single pipe. In order to get any real benefit from dual exhaust, they have to be duals from the block to the bumper.

Tell you what ~ John Kish is hoping to cruise with us to Scranton on Daddy's Day and he has one of these mounted on his magnificent 1971 car. You could hear him on the highway all the way down and back if you came along with us. That would surely help you decide if they were for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 am 

Im sure Vinnie is always busy but maybe I can have him check out the noise my cam is making, if that gets resolved I would bring the Z. I drive it around town a little and besides that noise it seems ok now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:19 pm 

Well, there's always the 1960s teenager approach to a mystery noise; "drive it 'till it breaks, then you know what to fix". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm 

I DO remember that, that method of diagnosis cost a lot more parts then what would have been originally necessary. :( :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:33 pm 

A-HAHHHH!!! I think I've discovered the actual application for these bent-pipe ANSAs. They would perfectly fit an E-Type, probably either a 6 or the V12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bYfIl3IJsw

See the value of being snowbound by a blizzard? It gives you time to explore the net.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:03 pm 

Wow. That E sounds sswwweeet, yet melodic. :shock: :mrgreen: 8) :thumbs_up: Can I get me one of them? lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 pm 

Oh boy thats a great sounding car! Frank thats not just a 1960's teenager way of finding out and I was hoping my experiences with all my other cars would have taught me something by the time I found my dream car so I am trying very hard not to think like that but 1960's or 2000's teen!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:33 pm 

How sweet that E type sound is. I can listen to that all day. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:49 pm 

Thank you Frank for bragging for Andy, tackling the roundtop conversion and then shaking it out on a road trip the next day is admirably adventurous, and it's awesome the car made it!

Get Vinnie to check out that noise! :thumbs_up:

Jay