Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: MSA Aluminum Radiator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:58 am 

I just purchased an Aluminum radiator for my 240Z from MSA. Only 3 of the 4 mounting bolts line up with the holes in the car. I called MSA to ask for a replacement. They are giving me the runaround about replacement. Should I live with it the way it is or press them for a replacement radiator?
Thx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:16 pm 

Please call Vinny Bedini and mention this. He is our S30 Guru and has encountered this problem many times in the past. He has rebuilt many (most?) of our early 240s and is familiar with what needs to be done. His speed shop (Bedini Motorsports) in New Milford is 860-355-182nine. Tell him you're a CTZCC member (he is, too).

http://www.ctzcc.com/images/bedini.pdf

Also be sure you have the right radiator. The 280 unit is somewhat longer (taller) than the 240 unit so the bolts don't line up. It can be done, but it isn't a drop-in exercise. There is no room to raise the taller radiator; it has to stick out at the bottom. The 240 unit should bolt right in but doesn't always.

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:46 pm 

What brand did MSA send you?
I have a Champion 3 row that fit perfectly.
If all else fails you can always drill new holes in the mounting flange.
If there's not enough meat on the flange you can rivet on a reinforcement piece of aluminum then drill a new hole.
There should be plenty of room fore/aft for another piece sandwiched.

Frank, I think Vinny should start paying you for your recommendations! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:42 pm 

Thank you both for all the help. They sent me the American Eagle AE110. I would have to add more to the one flange. I told them it was poor quality control and I should not have to correct a poorly made product.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:06 pm 

If you still have your original radiator, the frame is thick enough to hold a surpriZing increase in cooling power. My 240 2-row aluminum radiator lasted 10yrs, then all the fins began falling off it at once like needles off a dry Christmas tree. A professional radiator shop re-cored it with a 4-row copper insert, repainted the whole deal and stuck it back on my car within 3hrs. That was back in 1980 and I'm still using the very same radiator. It was "serviced" 2 yrs ago when I installed a 280 engine, but it was working fine at that time.
You can certainly have the frame re-cored for less than a new aluminum unit costs. Radiator shops are a dime a doZen throughout New England. Talk to a few of them, then decide. Know the dimensions of your core before you call them so they can estimate the cost for you.

Your American Eagle radiator is actually made by Champion Cooling Systems. Both MSA and Champion guarantee your radiator should just drop-in without modifications (read thru):

http://performancecooling.com/1970-1971 ... can-eagle/

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Replace ... B00B5XS0DA

Price varies slightly by who sells it to you, but it should hover around $200 for a 2-row core. Your own radiator could be rebuilt for less than that.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:42 pm 

Thank you Frank! I will talk to some radiator shops.