Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New exhaust system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:05 pm 

I figured it was time to get rid of the wimpy 1 3/4 tubing and stock manifold(even though stock ones flow very well).
I got the MSA 3-2 ceramic coated headers and performance exhaust.
I got the plain tubing/muffler to save some cash and just painted it myself with high temp paint.
Of course I used the club discount to save more.
It all fits nicely and am tightening things up. They did forget to include the 18" straight piece and credited me $15. I ended up getting one at PepBoys for $8.
The only downside is its 2 1/2" and from what I read 2 1/4 allows a better flow rate for a stock engine.
Maybe it's time to look into a cam now...

Post subject: Re: New exhaust system
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:23 pm 

That's actually a very pretty install! :thumbs_up:
Sort of exciting to zee it all gleamy under there.
Have you measured your minimum ground clearance now? My MSA Twice Pipes tuck WAYYY up under the car and can't even be seen from the sides. That's a huge improvement over the old ANSA exhaust system I had, which hung so low it scraped every speed bump and steep driveway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23 pm 

That looks really sharp. I assume you replaced the manifold gasket (pic shows the inlet manifold in place). The new headers typically require a special gasket which is beefier than the stock maifold gasket.

I bet this will sound sweet when fired up! :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 pm 

[quote="johnnyZ"]That looks really sharp. I assume you replaced the manifold gasket (pic shows the inlet manifold in place). The new headers typically require a special gasket which is beefier than the stock maifold gasket.

I bet this will sound sweet when fired up! :thumbs_up:[/quoteyes the kit came with a new gasket.
I drive it around and it's a huge difference In sound but not too loud.
My butt dyno seems to register a bit more power too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:53 pm 

Anything you can do to improve the airflow thru the L6 will result in an improvement in either power or torque, or move the power peak up or down the rev band. It also changes the engine's voice. One of my happier memories with my Z after installing the MSA Twice Pipes is finding a very long stretch of road with Jersey barriers along the fast lane; for miles I just hugged that wall and listened to the throaty roar of my new exhaust.
John K has the best-sounding exhaust ever made for an L-engined Z car. I'm hoping to hang out near his rear bumper as long as possible on our way to Rochester this summer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:51 am 

What one do you have John?
I looked at the Fujitsubo that Whitehead sells but couldn't justify the price.
I usually like to use stainless tubing if I can.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:25 am 

ANSA.
In the early 1970s a dealer option for the Z was a custom-built exhaust system from a small private company in California which made ANSA-spec dual pipes from block to bumper. The twin pipes were tiny; 1.5" ID, compared to the stock or other aftermarket units which were sometimes 2". 2.5" or 3". The ANSAs bolted right up to the original manifold and were a true 6-into-2 system all the way back. Just before the rear bumper each pipe was "muffled" ( :roll: ) thru a Cherry Bomb glass pack muffler which was very little larger than the diameter of the pipe itself. The Cherry Bombs were made in a two-pack unit, like binoculars, and the pipes ran thru them over-under. The tailpipes popped out of the 'mouse hole' in the rear valance like an over-under shotgun and were fitted with twin stainless steel (or chrome) extension tips. The whole mess resulted in the sweetest blend of angry hornets and symphony string orchestra you could imagine. It beat an ABARTH sound right into the mud.
John's 1971 car has an ANSA rear system on it and I can't listen to it enough.

The little California company has long since gone out of business, but our NYC member Galban has found a place in New Yawk (Exhaust Warehouse 718-847-5200) which duplicated the old ANSA system faithfully for his own 1971 Z, and I intend to someday swap out my (new) MSA Twice Pipes for their ANSA system. There simply isn't a better-sounding street/track system for the L-series engine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:47 am 

Frank beat me to the reply.

Yes, it is an ANSA system coupled with a MSA 6-2 header and a 2-1 Y-Pipe. The ANSA system I have had a black "crackle" finish and included an oval styled muffler which is located mid car and a very pretty over/under exhaust tail muffler with the classic chrome tips.

I do not have twice pipes, just a single pipe running back to the over/under tail piece exhaust and the long connector pipe does hang a bit lower than I'd like.

I DO love the sound from this system and admit that on occasion I enjoy listening to the L-6 melody zipping though the West Rock tunnel with the windows down. :D

Frank is right about ANSA no longer being made. MONZA, I believe, took them over for a while but I cannot find a direct replacement which would include the over/under tail pipes. I've made note about the New Yawk company in case replacement is needed. Thanks FT :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:07 am 

(snap) :thumbs_up: 8) :thumbs_up: (snap) Heeyyyyyy....

We gotta keep track of the things we love in life!

I should be clear ~ ANSA is still in business but they no longer make this particular arrangement for the early Z cars. That entire market was the proprietary golden egg of the small California company back in the day; they had the exclusive contract for all the ANSA Z exhaust systems made back then ~ Datsun dealers could only order those ANSA pipes thru them. When they got rich and retired in/abt 1972, the ANSA system for the Z became no longer available. I've tracked down and spoken by phone with two of the original workers of that small California plant. They regret the boss ever retired because they were all making so much money they couldn't count it all; they just never had enough time to spend any of it. The small firm (I used to know their name) expanded to about 3 times its original siZe, then worked 3 shifts a day to keep up with demand for the very popular ANSA-Z pipe system. Every Datsun dealer in the country had to go thru them to get this exhaust option, so Bob Sharp might recall their name. The tiny 1.5" galvaniZed pipes had to be carefully mandrel-bent so they didn't kink, and the Cherry Bomb people had trouble supplying enough "mufflers" to match the output. One day the boss walked in and said he'd had enough and just pulled the plug. He bought himself an island somewhere and had made more money than he had time left to spend.

I don't pretend to understand what relationship Exhaust Warehouse has with ANSA, but I'm just glad that old system is available again and I don't want to drag my feet too long in getting a set.......in case ANSA doesn't know EW is making them!

Surfer's system looks really good under there, altho I can't see what kind of hangers he used on it. Rich, are those home-made ramps I zee your car up on?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:55 am 

Frank T wrote:
(snap) :thumbs_up: 8) :thumbs_up: (snap) Heeyyyyyy....
Surfer's system looks really good under there, altho I can't see what kind of hangers he used on it. Rich, are those home-made ramps I zee your car up on?

I tried tucking it up but that's about the best I can get. The hangars were supplied by MSA for fore and aft of the muffler.
Unfortunately the factory hangar over the rear diff is broken and only the rubber block remains.
I used some stainless safety wire temporarily.
Yes they are home made platforms. I used 2x12"s and it's incrediby strong. I even had my 2007 Audi S4 wagon on it which is a heavy car.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:44 am 

"Yes they are home made platforms. I used 2x12"s and it's incredibly strong".

Wow, very clever. You're a LOT smarter than you look! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:16 am 

Hopefully we can see how we are all "hanging" on Wednesday! :lol:

Still waiting for my front bumber to come back from New England Chrome (9 weeks so far) :evil: