Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 620 brakes!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:24 am 

Howdy,
Long time everybody, finally back to hacking at a Datsun. Working through the brakes on my current project '73 620 and could use a little input. Right now the parts are on order to convert it to front/rear disks with a ford 8.8 in the back and D21 calipers up front. Master cylinder is being donated from a N/A 280ZX, everything up to here is pretty simple but...

I'm thrown for a look looking at the NLSV system in these old trucks. Near as I can it needs to be bypassed entirely or I am asking for nightmares, and the old lines in the truck could use a refresh. I'm thinking that the simplest option is to just gut the lines entirely and toss in new stainless and an adjustable prop valve. Anyone have experience in this domain? Looks pretty straightforward, but hoping the collective wisdom might have hit some of the roadblocks before.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 620 brakes!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:54 am 

HEY CAMERON!

I have zero experience with the pickup trucks, but I am absolutely thrilled to zee you back on here again. It's been what...4-5years, at least? I honestly just thought about you last week (first time in years). Glad to hear you're still wrenching Datsuns!

Paul M in Rhode Island is our resident pickup truck expert. He'll probably be able to tell you what's needed.

Start a thread on your truck (Restoration forum) and keep us up to speed about what you do to the truck, what works, what falls off, which knuckles you break, etc. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

Glad you're back!
Frank T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:07 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Glad you're back!
Frank T

It's good to be back. Moved up to NH, day job, couple kids, own a small business and funny enough just had Chris Colgan & wife move in up the street. He's my partner in crime on the project, hoping we can have it on the road in time for the fall meetup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:12 pm 

I recently drove up and down Cape Cod and stopped to try to find Chris in Sandwich Mass (massive sandwich) but couldn't find a listing for him. Glad to hear you two are still in cahoots, and hope you're keeping in touch with AirJockey.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:02 am 

Not as close as I probably should, but we do catch up semi regularly. I really need to pop over and see him next time I make it down to CT.

I will try and snap some shots of the truck and get a thread going. Right now it's up on stands and nothing major to look at but...Got it fired over and idling perfectly this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:49 pm 

Updating as much for my sake as anything else:
Ordered all the hardware to rebuild the rear drums(new wheel cylinders, shoes, star adjusters and drums). Doing this as a stopgap until I can swap over to the 8.8 that is intended. Ordered disk brackets, 4x4 D21 calipers, rotors, a wilwood prop valve and lines for the front. Going to replumb the entire system...the stock hard lines are kinda sketchy.

Frame is notched in the rear, but I still need to find some time to finish plating and gusseting the cuts. The beam for the new gas tank location is tacked in. Brackets are boxed and welded for the 4 link and panhard, just need to find some time to get everything in.

Oh, and a 5.3l LSx followed me home the other day but that's another story!