Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:40 am 

Thanks for helping to share the information link. It's much appreciated by all Zowners. :D :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:47 am 

OK, I fail to find even a single email address shown on either the NE Z Car Club or NJ Z car Club websites :evil: , so I'll have to email specific individuals I know in those two clubs who also happen to be our members.

What car club doesn't offer an email contact for people who want to talk with them? Seems to me like a recipe for disaster. People who get frustrated by not being able to communicate with the club are not likely to want to join them. :roll:

In the meantime, you might try adviZing the Z31 forums:

http://www.300zxclub.com/

because you have to JOIN in order to communicate with them, and I'm just not about to do that.

Frank

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:52 pm 

Clubs that don't allow open communications and information sharing unless you join their clubs are heading toward "Titanic" results. I ran into the same deadends you did when I went searching for Z clubs. I'll try following up by looking for "300ZX Clubs."

ThankZ

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 am 

Well, I know your efforts had some results because any time I log on here now, I zee we have 6-20 more Guests reading our website (probably this thread) than we had before you invited them. That's a good thing. We've also seen a number of new-joins since you drew everyone's attention to us, thanks! Do we owe you for recruiting fees? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:48 am 

No recruiting fees necessary. Good PEOPLE deserve good things. This club definitely qualifies. 8) :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm 

The most popular z31 forum is Z31performance.com. It's really gone down the crapper the last few years though. "Management" sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:06 pm 

UPDATE:
The WD-40 trick worked for a short while (3-4 weeks), so I found an OEM EGR Solenoid and replaced it. Car ran well when ice cold for about another two or three weeks. It started to have slight "flashbacks" of the lean fuel symptoms so I ordered and installed a new PCV Valve and the car ran fine for about four days with only a ghostly feeling of lean mix while cold. NOW... 75+ degrees outside and the bucking/lean mix symptom appears to be back until the engine temperature rises above 130-140 degrees. :x
I'm SORRY everyone. :oops: I really thought I found the cure. Setbacks of diagnosis just make me more determined to pursue my quest for answers. :twisted: I'll post again when I find them. :thumbs_up: :D

HowardJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:09 pm 

UPDATE: to the update

I put the "old" original PCV valve back on the car (saving the newly bought OEM PCV for another time) so that the only thing that was changed, to try correcting the "bucking" from a cold started engine, is the EGR Solenoid. I took the car out today, Feb. 2, 2017, since it was a sunny and dry 39 degrees outside (a good test for a cold engine problem). I'm happy to say that the hesitation and bucking is completely G.O.N.E. :D 8) :thumbs_up:

I have to ADD to this posting, the fact that I'm presently on my third tank of gasoline that has a "Special Snake Oil Elixir" in it that was highly recommended (Thank you John T.) to clean out the entire fuel system, because my butt was feeling pulsing rpm's at around 60-65 mph. By my second fill-up, the engines fluctuating rpm's had disappeared, probably from having nice clean fuel injectors. Since my engine seemed to be enjoying its "colon cleansing" of sorts, I decided to whip up another batch in the tank. Happy engine = happy, happy driver.

The elixir that I'm referring to is not readily available in local auto parts stores probably because of the flooded market of fuel injector cleaners. I was able to buy one bottle from a vender's display table during the ZCCR car show this summer but couldn't/can't find any in the southern New York area, so I googled it, found a supplier in upstate New York and had him ship me a case. The products name is FIREBALL Super Concentrated fuel injector cleaner made by Castle. Treats twice as much fuel as other 8 oz. bottles and even made my outboard motor run smoother. I am definitely smitten with this product. So maybe it helped with the cold bucking problem too? :? :shock: :mrgreen:

Here's hoping this helps other Z owners find smoother roads and clear skies for years to come. :D 8)

Howard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 pm 

Q: Does this super snake oil injector cleaner happen to boost the octane rating as well?

And have you simply tried a tankful of unnecessarily-high octane fuel?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:39 pm 

A: No claims that it boosts octane.

Used regular - 87 octane petro

Just sayin'. :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 am 

Witchcraft lives!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:18 am 

:twisted: Witchcraft or not, this product has cleared up, cleaned out something that wasn't, obviously, supposed to be there in both my 300ZX and my outboard motor. Whether or not this "Fireball" product had anything to do with helping to eliminate the original problem of "bucking"/"lean mixture"/"stumble" when cold is an answer that only time will prove or disprove. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I believe the "fix" is: Change the EGR SOLENOID. It's worked for me.

Right now the car is running and performing better than when I bought it, and it ran "flawlessly" then. Duh? The only downside of this whole ordeal is that NOW I don't have anything else to fix on the car. Poor me, right? 8) No excuse to spend time in the garage? WHOA. :shock: I shall enjoy thiZ time of nirvana, and enjoy the peace and tranquility.. even though I know it will be short lived.

Time to wax and polish! :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

UPDATE: March 23, 2017 - Just pulled it out of the garage because the sun was shining and it was above 40 degrees. Started it up, pulled off the driveway and down the block. :D :D :D 8) :thumbs_up: After all this time I am happy to say that the GREMLIN has not returned. :thumbs_up: Not a single glitch, hiccup, stumble, hesitation or even a fart. Purrrfect. xxxxx

UPDATED UPDATE: January 24, 2018 - If you've changed the EGR Solenoid Valve as I have to improve/eliminate your cold engine hesitation condition and maybe occasionally find a hint of the hesitation return....(like I did) I have found that there is another solenoid valve in the engine compartment that is mounted on the drivers side fender just below the data plate. There's a black vacuum hose that has a yellow dot mark on it that coincides with the black vacuum line with a yellow dot on it (factory marking-if visible) that is indirectly attached to the fuel temperature sensor that's to the left of the distributor cap. The purpose of this solenoid is to restrict vacuum to the FTS for the first 3 minutes of engine operation.

Hey! That's when the hesitation occurs. :shock: So.... I pulled the vacuum line off the fender mounted solenoid, gave a short shot of WD-40 into the hose and into the solenoid and put the hose back on.

After four weeks of winter storage I started it up and took it down the road without a single hint of hesitation, bucking or that lean mixture condition. If such a condition ever returns again I will change this solenoid and rid myself of this once elusive Z demon.

I hope that this has been helpful to other Z lovers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:53 pm 

It was a dry and sunny winter day today (2-18-2018) and before an predicted 4" of snow, so... I decided to uncover and then take for a run my 1985 300ZX to see if freeing up the vacuum solenoid, that restricts vacuum for the first three minutes of start up to the FTS, was still functioning properly. Zzzooom. Pulls nice and hard with no sign of that "lean mixture" hesitation that have plagued the 1984 and 1985 300ZX's. Yay!! :D :D :D :D :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm 

Glad to hear you unaffected :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 pm 

:mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next