Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:49 pm 

Hi Frank,

First thanks for your comprehensive response....much appreciated!

I totally agree that Vinny is the man for my 260Z rebuild. And yes I am listening to him with zero reservations so no discussion needed. His reputation with you and others speaks for itself. Thanks for that excellent recommendation back in April. Also I resonate strongly with your approach to this project and your suggestions have previously already been discussed with Vinny. Before Vinny and I even discussed the engine Vinny spoke to the importance of upgrading the braking system as well as adding Polyprolene suspension bushings. As a side note the Bob Sharp Motors' sold and installed Mulholland shocks are still good.....still have 30K miles left on the 100K warrant (lol).

Relative to my impressions of the car's performance when new........BTW I don't remember being young so I probably never was.......was good but not great. Why not great?....because of those smog carbs on the car when new. So the thought of keeping it stock is not appealing unless it is everything BUT those carbs! Having said that, however, I definitely DO want more horsepower! So.....a hotter cam and a compression bump are gonna happen. Speaking of compression one thing Vinny and I discussed was to bore it out more for more displacement. Question.....with you having educated me on the the "goodness" of a "square" engine and with the 260 engine being close (83 mm bore and 79mm stroke) boring it out (bigger than 83mm) would seem to be counter-intuitive. Thoughts?

Relative to the induction system I'm a natural aspirated fan so I really don't want to go the supercharger route (nor turbos). I'm thinking I'll go with the 1972 carbs. I like the idea of Webers but my question is how much more horsepower would they give me over the 1972 carbs with both options having a higher compression and hotter cam?

Frank, relative to the project I agree that the winter time is the perfect time to do it....both for myself and for Vinny. Also from a financial viewpoint Vinny and I are going to
spread out the work.....and payments (pay as you go).......over the winter. So somewhat similar to your approach.

I'm genuinely excited by getting all this done. You might say I'm excited as a kid....but being a kid for the very first time. Lol!

-Notserp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:48 am 

What a good read! :D :thumbs_up:

Well, as long as you're going for a bigger cam and higher compression, any increase in engine siZe would be beneficial to your performance. Moving away from the square engine is not a crime; it simply brings your safe redline back to 7,000 rpm. If he gives you 200-220bhp you will certainly feel the difference in your Z over days gone bye.

The 240 was a high-revving engine with OK torque;
The 260 was a stroked 240 which gave much better low-rpm torque and revved higher than either the 240 or the 280;
The 280 was a bored 260 which meant it was a bored & stroked 240 engine.

The wondrous thing about these engines is that parts are plentiful for whatever changes you might want. We actually have about 200% better access to replacement and performance parts today than we had when the cars were new. Vinny took my L28 block and swapped out the turbocharged "dished" pistons (8.3:1 compression ratio) for zero-deck-height flattop pistons and a shaved and tricked E88 head. My 44.7cc combustion chambers were completely filled, then drilled out to only 41.8cc (10.25:1 CR); the standard E88 head has 44.7cc and even the E31 head has 42.4cc, so my 41.8cc is tighter than either of them.

I haven't yet dyno'd the result but it pushes me back into the seat and reaches redline very quickly in each gear. I got sort of carried away and had a bunch of fancy stuff done to the head (bigger lighter valves and valve train, ported & polished intakes/exhasts, shaved head on 3 sides) and drove my bill up to about $1500, but you needn't do all the tricks I did. Hopefully Vinny will convince you to let him install an Iskandarian cam and lightweight valve train like he did in mine; it makes a LOT of difference when your car can breathe deeply. A simple set of exhaust headers would complete that picture. I also have a set of Weber 40DCOE sidedrafts which I intended to install, but Vinny had my SUs rebuilt and polished and they work just fine, thank you very much.

So in direct answer to your question, the only disadvantage of boring your 2.6L to 2.8L is a loss of higher-than-normal redline, back to normal redline (and of course whatever it costs for replacement pistons and to have the block bored). The resultant increase in BHP is well worth the 1,000 rpm you will lose off the top engine speed; you'll just be limited to the normal 7,000rpm redline and because the stroke remains unchanged, you'll still have better torque than the 2.4 engines had.

Vinny boils and flushes the naked engine block, paints it up with original Datsun blue paint, bores, hones and cross-thatches the cylinders, installs all new hoses and belts (and gaskets, of course) and can have your SUs polished and tuned if you want. As long as the head is off you should do the same to it. You get a sparkling, completely NEW zero-mile engine with far more power than before, and probably another 150-200,000 mile lifespan. Your old [2.6] pistons will be unusable in your new [2.8] engine, but I kept my old ones just in case someone ever needed them. They could make a good bargaining chip if someone has something I wanted to swap for.

Four more suggestions, if I may ~

(1) change out your clutch throwout bearing as long as you have direct access to it. Mine sounded fine when I first pulled my old 2.4 engine out, so I left it alone. :evil: :thumbs_down: Within 1,000 miles of reinstalling my rebuilt 2.4 engine, the bearing started to "sing" and drove me mad until we replaced it 6,000 miles later when we installed the 2.8 engine. The bearing costs $40. The aggravation if it fails is horrible.

(2) carefully consider upgrading your cooling system now that you'll have all that more HP.
New radiators are not expensive and just rehabbing your old one can save you a lot of embarrassing time at the roadside waiting for AAA;

(3) if you still have breaker point ignition, talk with Vinny about installing a Pertronix electronic ignition system. Fits right inside your existing distributor, improves performance, you never have to set points or replace a condenser again, and it only cost $100 when I did it a few years ago. That's so cheap, I bought a spare to carry with me incase it ever fails.

(Only two possible setbacks with the Pertronix; it will probably outlive you but it will give you NO advance warning when it eventually fails; one moment you'll be humming along and the next moment you'll be coasting toward the roadside. That won't happen for 100,000 miles but at that price, I felt it was smart to carry a spare. And the instructions tell you to remove the external resistor when you remove your points/condenser. The Pertronix works fine with or without the resistor, but your ELECTRIC TACHOMETER won't work without that resistor. So leave the resistor in-line with the positive side of the primary ignition circuit where it is;

I also upgraded my headlamps, alternator and lighting harnesses, but I think the 260 probably overcame those deficiencies which the 240 showed to be problems. Ask Vinny if they are still recommended for your car ~ they may have been rescue items only for the early 240s;

(4) Because Vinny gives Club members such deep discounts on labor rates, he doesn't make much money on each rebuild he does. To avoid putting him into debt and maybe out of business, I preferred to pay him in advance for any parts he ordered for my car or engine. In other words, I didn't want him paying for my parts out of his own pocket if possible, and I asked him to bill me periodically for his labor hours throughout the project. That worked well for us and I kept a constant trickle of cash flowing into my project to ensure Vinny could improve my Z and still eat when he needed to (he's not skinny on purpose! People owe him money!) If that's possible for you, I would respectfully recommend you consider it. Far too many people (not our Club members) want to drop their cars off for work in the fall and pick them up in the spring and pay for them then. If he gets enough such cars, he can end up paying tens of thousands of dollars for parts out of his own pocket over the winter (and running up many hours of labor) without getting any incoming cash flow. Not fair, and I fear some winter he's just going to get tired of it and walk away.

PS ~ I envy your Mulholland shocks. :thumbs_up: No longer available, they are often sought after here on our website.

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:08 pm 

Frank,

Really good point on part prices and availability whether original, OEM clone or new and improved. In the past I've had two cars restored where an abundance of parts made life easier with the one restoration (Corvette) as well as one where parts were rather scarce or at least hard to find (Morgan +8) and I'll go with a lot of parts scenario. I really don't need the thrill of being Sherlock Holmes searching for parts. Lol.

Your discussion points relative to the trade-offs of "stock bore/stock stroke" vs "increased bore/stock stroke" was helpful. On one hand I like the theatrics/sound of revving to 8K but on the other hand 7K is really not too shabby for a street engine. At the end of the day I need to explore with Vinny the recommended cams for both of these options and see which performance (horsepower and torque) curves appeal to me more. I will ask Vinny about the Isky setup that you have.

Wow you certainly went over-the-top with your L28 engine build! All terrific stuff. I'm really impressed on how anal you were....in a good way.....with the head work. Beautiful! Like I said earlier I'll definitely discuss with Vinny using an Isky cam and associated valve train for my engine. At this point I'm finding it very appealing to use rebuilt 240 carbs nicely polished and holding off on the expensive Webers given your positive experience with those "pedestrian" SU's (lol). When you get around to installing your Webers I'll be very interested to hear your reaction to the change. I'm glad you described Vinny's work with the block. Sounds fantastic! As you said this motor will be good as new....actually better!

Per your suggestions replacing the throw-out bearing is a no-brainer.....thanks for letting me learn about that via your nasty experience. Vinny already said I need a new radiator so that will be replaced. On the ignition front I'm not sure what my car has but I'll discuss with Vinny installing the Pertronix system. For a $100 bucks it also sounds like a no-brainer. Relative to the other items you upgraded I'll deal with them and probably other things as they come up in real time.

I didn't know that the Mulholland shocks were still that desirable....cool. I believe they were installed on my car when it had about 40K miles on it. So with car now having 70K miles on it the shocks really only have 30K of actual road use.

On your financial discussion I am already well down that path with Vinny. We have agreed that a targeted monthly budget will be our road-map for the work and Vinny will be paid monthly lockstep with it. I hadn't thought specifically about Vinny carrying the float on the cost of parts so I'll be sure we have that incorporated in our plan. Good input! BTW I'm glad you wrote that section inasmuch as I know from Vinny has had numerous deadbeats (late payers and non-payers) and it is valuable to have that stated for all those that read this discussion. Trust me that isn't in my DNA and hence the financial/work road-map.

Thanks for your counsel and I'll keep you posted as well as solicit more advice along the way.....assuming that still works for you (big grin).

-Notserp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:47 pm 

Oh it still works for me. :thumbs_up: (bigger grin).

Vinny excels at engine building; it's actually what he does best. He can literally make your engine produce whatever bhp you desire. There's nobody I trust more with my Z. In fact, he has one of my engines there for a rebuild as we speak.

Unless you're a lot richer than most of us, it's usually easier to perform a so-called "Rolling Restoration", which allows you to drive and enjoy the car btwn trips to the shop for having one or two systems upgraded at a time. If you've restored two cars already, you already know that. Doing a total restoration piece-meal makes a far less-severe dent in your piggybank than doing it all at once.

One last thing to mention before rebuilding your engine. If you're really insane and want to build your engine up to the most powerful level any L series engine can be developed to, the addition of a Datsun diesel crankshaft adds the maximum stroke to whatever increased bore you're considering. The maximum limit for the L-series engine becomes about 3.1L with a diesel crank (bored-out to L-28 specs). These engines produce scary horsepower and most people don't consider them to be comfortably streetable, but they are possible if you want one and can find a diesel crank for sale.

PS ~ any Morgan and the '62 (only) Corvette make me STOP whatever I'm doing and pay attention. Loved the Rover V8 wooden-framed Morgans. Also the Daimler SP250 (or "Dart" before Dodge sued them for using that name). The '60s were a great time to be a Gearhead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:47 pm 

Now I know what to call my car other than "Old 777".
It's the Rolling Restoration!
Thanks Frank

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:04 am 

:lol:

:thumbs_up: 8) :thumbs_up: heyyyyy....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:01 pm 

"Rolling Restoration" is phrase that really paints an interesting image....a "rolling" changing image. Blink and the image changes...lol. Your concept, however, is a good one. In my case the plan is to do and complete it over a semi-long period of time (i.e. winter) where the vehicle stays at Vinnys. This will allow me to spread out the payments monthly over that season. I've pretty much decided I'll not go crazy, crazy with horsepower upgrades during this winter so the expense shouldn't be outrageous....basically starting with a totally refreshed block with the only non-stock things being the higher compression, hotter cam and 1972 carbs. I think financially that cash flow should work for me. Plus once again I really want a very street-able car but with those changes it definitely should have more performance pop. As tempting as it is to go insane with some the wonderful things you have on your 240Z, or have mentioned to me, my wallet won't cooperate over that timeline and once again I really want this car street-able. Chances are as it rolls out the door next Spring that is the way it will stay......meaning no further upgrades......but only time will tell (wink, wink). Given that I have pretty much decided on this approach tomorrow I need to review the numbers with Vinny to be sure the math works for me....and of course Vinny.

However ignoring what I just said I have to tell you introducing me to the Datsun Diesel crankshaft absolutely blew me away. Wow complementing that with Webers, etc. would be totally insane! However for me at the moment the operative word is DISCIPLINE! (But thanks for informing me of that option.)

Yes Morgans are just wonderful vehicles with wonderful character. Today's chassis technology is stiff, stiff, stiff to optimize handing but Morgan's chassis (low?) technology is flex, flex, flex to optimize handling....lol. Yes the Morgan Plus 8's engine sourced from Rover is a great engine. Interesting that preceding Rover's ownership of it it was designed by GM for the Olds F85, etc. but because it didn't sell well it was sold to Rover. I truly love my Morgan which BTW is right hand drive which makes it interesting with hitchhikers and toll booths. My Corvette isn't a '62 which as you know was the last of the solid axles and really a stunning car. Mine is a '67 Big Block. With the factory side pipes it is quite the raucous greasy piece.....all good! When you mentioned your appreciate of the Daimler SP250 I reacted by thinking I know that there were Daimlers but I could picture one. Google and Wikipedia to the rescue! Wow that is really an interesting car. Triumph TR-3 chassis and a 2.5 liter hemi head engine designed by them. Only 2,654 were made. Cool. Have you ever driven one? And yes the 60's were a terrific time for gearheads....I second that.

-Notserp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:30 pm 

Q: '67 Big Block; 427 or 396? I loved the 396 with Tri-Power :twisted:

A: Never actually drove an SP250 due to my young age and scarcity of the cars but have plenty of time around them at Watkins Glen and Syracuse. When they were first called the Dart the fiberglass body flexed so much the doors would often pop open on turns. The driver, having spent the past 10 minutes flogging his wonderful little 150bhp 2.5L Hemi-head V8 engine to gain a lead over everyone, then had to back off so he could grab the door while the pack overtook him.

Your plan seems sound. Leaving the car w/Vinny for a few months gives you free warm storage while you're not driving it anyway, and it gives you a chance to clean out the garage before the car returns. I did that with mine too, but LAWD! I did so miss walking out to the garage and just sitting in the car while it was gone. :cry: I feel everything he did to my car was well worth the wait and the money and I doubt I would have been happier with anybody else doing the work.

One word of heads-up tho; a hotter cam means a faster idle and you should be ready for that. My Z used to idle at 700rpm with the stock cam but now demands a minimum of 1100rpm. That makes it sound a little "busy" in slow traffic. Also, while my lowend torque lets me smoothly slide away from a full stop in second (like an old Healey), everything 'explodes' above 3400 rpm and the car takes on a very foreign and aggressive character, not at all like it ever was before. All the horsepower is at the topend of my rpm curve and it's actually scary if I'm not prepared for it. Vinny choZe the Isky cam because I said I wanted about 220bhp, but there are a dozen other options (Crane, Crower, Datsun, even old Duntov, etc) which would give me a different result.

Morgan ~ I once saw a Moog with the Buick Grand National turbo engine in it. It wasn't completely successful and the pan needed to be highly modified because that V6 was actually a "Y" block configuration, but my LAWD did that thing move!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:22 pm 

Hi Frank,

My '67 Corvette convertible has a solid lifter 427 with trips....435 HP. It has a close ratio 4-speed with a 3.55 Posi and factory side-pipes. No power anything. It was restored like it came out of the factory.....not over-restored.....by Nabers Brothers in Houston who specialize in 1967 Corvettes. I'm the second owner and have all the original documentation including the window sticker. It has all the original number's matching drive-train and most importantly never been hit. It is a fun car! One problem with it though.....after it was finished I did the show circuit and received all the nice cheap trophy's and plaques but now I'm afraid to drive it for fear of damage. It is a trailer queen. Not a good thing. I have to suck it up and drive it.

In reading about your observations of the SP250 on the race tracks with the flexing and the door opening I literally laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes, Thanks for sharing that.

I'm glad you also think my plan is sound. I've really given it a lot of thought supplemented by your terrific input and I feel pretty comfortable with it all. My situation with my Z is quite different than yours inasmuch it's history doesn't even begin to approach your connection and re-connection you have had with your car. I don't have a comparable history with my car. Quite frankly I'm more excited with my car now than I have been for a long time. BTW in reading about your feelings about not being able to go out and sit in your car really works for me. I really love and appreciate that kind of passion about anything automotive. Very cool. All that adds up to your recommendation to Vinny working perfectly for me.

Excellent input on the Isky cam. I will definitely consult with Vinny on the different available cams and ask about their attributes. Funny to here there is a Duntov cam for Z inasmuch as I hear Duntov I think Corvette. The infamous 30-30 cam comes to mind. Thanks.

That Moog with the GN turbo engine must have been insane!! I'll bet it moved. A friend of mine put an aluminum GM 215 Cubic inch V8 in an Austin Healey Sprite. Yup that was insane also. Although they aren't legal here the current generation +8's have BMW V8's in them...I'll bet they are "peppy"! Ha!

-Notserp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 am 

Just a word about your fabulous Top Flite 427 Corvette.

Back when we were kids we were immensely proud that the big-block Corvettes, Mustangs and Cobras were representing the USA by challenging and dominating the road courses all over the world. By SCCA rules, the 427 'Vettes, Cobras and Mustangs ran in A-Production class along with the mighty 250GTO Ferraris; the "big boys" at any track meet. We even stuck "lightweight" ( :roll: ) side-oiler 427 Ford Galaxies into the British Sedan races against 3.8L Jaguar 4-dr sedans! :lol: The big block American cars could be counted on to dominate just about every SCCA race they entered. The 289 Cobras and Mustangs ran B-Production against the E-Types and some lesser Ferrari, Masers and big Healeys. The Cobra Daytona Coupe and GT40 beat Ferrari around the world.

A trip to Watkins Glen, Lime Rock or Elkhart Lake during the 1960s for the Sports Car SCCA Championship races would show you dozens of exotic sportscars from around the world running in each class. But if someone brought even one 289 Cobra or a 427 'Vette, the race winner was pretty much decided before the flag even fell.

That changed in 1970.

A Connecticut Datsun dealer named Bob Sharp showed up in an unknown 6-cylinder C-Production Jap car called a "Z" and proceeded to beat everyone to the checkered flag. We, as a Club, have watched reels and reels of Bob's personal (silent :cry: ) 8mm home movies showing him driving his C/P Datsun out of the first turn into the lead ahead of the 427s and 289s which were smoking their tires trying to catch up. In race after race he held the lead comfortably ahead of those thundering 400hp cars and won, overall, in a C Production car. There were A/P and B/P cars which flung themselves off the course trying to catch him, at least one of them spectacularly cartwheeling end over end 10ft in the air. The great Bob Tullius (in car #44) blew up one 6-cylinder TR250 after another trying to catch the Z. Each reel kept us on the edge of our seats, cheering, whooping, hollering and gasping when big 427 cars disappeared off the track in a cloud of dust. I hope your time with the CTZCC allows you the chance to view some of these great 1970/71 races. One of our Philadelphia members [Dave Levinson] has also created a thrilling DVD compilation about Bob's racing successes called "Some People Collect Stamps" ( https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 22R0%22%7D ). His own dad filmed these races by sitting backward, usecured, atop a station wagon camera car roof, driving the same racecourse as the speeding racers :shock: . Bob can be seen flogging his little red C/P Jap car to First Overall wins ahead of the entire field.

Scroll down and press on the screen to watch a 60-sec teaser vid. Bob's Z is red #33, starting 2nd, outside the pole position 427 Corvette. The pace car for this race is a street 240Z:

http://zccazconvention.com/conventions/2013/

So in your stable you now own a priceless thundering Top-Flite King of the Hill 427 Corvette, a miracle low-slung Moog+8, and a cheap little Japanese 6-cylinder C/P coupe which can beat them both. 8) I'm glad you're a member of this Club. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:18 pm 

Frank,

Just so you know I just put my '67 Corvette 427 up on eBay! Thanks for bursting my bubble. Lol! Just kidding. Seriously it is interesting in many cases, actually most cases, I've had a tendency to go for the underdog. You are right back in the '60's it was so much fun to route for the American "Big Engine" cars (e.g. Cobras, Corvettes, Shelby Mustangs, Penske's Donohue driven Z/28's and Javelins, etc.) vs the snobby European exotics. I vividly remember in particular the Bahama races where Zora rolled out his Grand Sports (lightened Corvettes) and Shelby upped his game from the small block Cobras to the 427 Cobras. Awesome, very American stuff. Most significantly of course was in the '60's when Ferrari welshed on selling his company to Henry Ford so Henry Ford teamed with Shelby to humiliate Ferrari with a 1-2-3 wins at LeMans. Also you can't forget the CanAm series with cars like Jim Hall's Chaparrals. Great exciting times.

Having said there was a clear distinction in the automotive community in that era between the big engined American cars, referenced above, and the wonderful classic English sports-cars (Austin Healeys, Triumphs, MG's, Jags, Lotus', Alpines and lest we forget Moogs, etc.) Having said these were 2 district categories that really never overlapped.

Fast forward to the 70's and the arrival of the Z cars! Due to emissions and safety regulations Corvettes got heavier and their engines became anemic due to smog controls (both being negative issues with homologation) and the Cobras were gone due to smog and safety regs. Timing sometimes is everything. The Z car arrived and clearly they upped the British sports car game and at the same time due to being relatively light weight and wonderfully designed engine they had a power to weight ratio superior to the Vettes, Mustangs and Camaros. Also at that point the factories weren't really actively involved and the teams campaigning those high-horsepower cars were mostly moneyed people who really weren't great drivers. The sun, moon and stars aligned perfectly! Then take top tier drivers like Bob Sharp and Paul Newman and put them in the Z's and as you implied there was a new sheriff in town. The Corvettes and Cobras previously got the job done with a sledge hammer and the Z's got it done with a stiletto.....lol! (plus they looked great!) David and Goliath?

Watching Bob's home movies as well as Dave's indeed must be a thrill! Like I said I always like an underdog and the Z fit that bill. I genuinely hope some day to have the opportunity to view them. I watched the teaser and Bob with his Z was awesome! As a side-note that 2013 convention looked terrific. Those folks who put together that schedule of great things to do did a fantastic job! I wish I had been there. As another side-note when I saw Loudon was part of the schedule I went back down memory lane again. I had the opportunity to attend a Richard Petty Driving Experience there. Don't laugh cause those Sprint Series Cars actually weren't buckets of bolts. Obviously they were fast but they were tight and handled quite well. Not sure if you are familiar with the way it works but basically you amazingly drive the cars solo. You follow a pace car driven by a professional driver who can gauge you abilities and pace you accordingly. What a hoot! In my class of 12 novices like myself I finished second with a high lap time of 117.32. Needless to say I was quite proud and even maybe a little cocky. However the following month NASCAR was in town and I watched to my horror that their lap times were oscillating around the 140 MPH mark. Yikes.....obviously something was wrong with my car. Lol. There went my dreams to become a professional driver.

Yes as you stated I actually have an interesting mix of cars.....no matter who might win I kind of have it covered. Lol. Seriously I'm glad that a given time I've been attracted to different marques that really work for me and not hung up on only one make. Viva the difference. All good. However when Vinny gets finished with my Z it just might be my favorite!

Also thanks for welcoming me to the club. I genuinely appreciate it and look forward to participating.

-Notserp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 pm 

The Corvette GS ~ our member Irv Rich used to race when he was younger and he has framed personal candid photographs of Zora Arkus Duntov in the SS Corvette at its first appearance at Sebring (maybe 1957? 58?). It had sculpted headrests like the 300SLR, sidepipes like your 427 and coke-bottle fenders like the Avanti. He was standing nearby when they took it out of the trailer that first day.

This Club is so rich in experience!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:34 pm 

Frank,

Ah yes the Corvette SS. I never saw it live but it was quite the racer in its day with a magnesium body no less! Very cool that Irv Rich has framed personal photographs of that car. I never thought about the fenders being Avanti-like but you are right. BTW this past November I attended the MCACN show and exhibited there was the 1963 Avanti that hit 200 MPH at Bonneville. Quite an accomplishment for that time. When I was talking to the people exhibiting it I was really surprised to hear that it's 289 OHV engine could rev as high as 7,500 RPM! Pretty surprising for that engine design. Afterwards I read the pamphlet they handed me on the car describing the specs and I thought of you.....3.56 in bore/3.52 in stroke! Yup an almost perfectly square engine. Thanks to your education on square engines I then knew why the high revs made sense. Lol.

-Notserp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:01 pm 

Hey Notserp, haven't heard from you in awhile. What's the status on your 260?
Do you think it could be ready for a road trip with us down to Scranton for Fathers Day weekend?

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:33 pm 

Hello, anybody home? Did you sell your 260? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next