Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vortech Supercharger v3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:51 pm 

I installed a Vortech Supercharger v3 in my 2004 350z with Berk high flow cats. My question is would Headers and a cat back exhaust system make a huge performance change. If so what would be a good upgrade such as brand name and good quality without braking the bank.
Thanks Gene

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:25 pm 

While not being able to give you specific brand names, we could discuss this in general hypothetical terms. An engine is basically just a big air pump. Any changes you can make to your engine which improve the volume and speed of the airflow (intake/exhaust) will improve performance. Having already increased your input with a supercharger, your focus should now be directed to better cams and finding any restrictions in the exhaust system. Any "funnel-neck" will effectively dictate the amount of airflow thru your engine; the airflow thru the tightest restriction is the greatest airflow you will get thru your engine.

You can learn how much volume (cubic feet per minute; CFM) your supercharger is producing, then "tune" (match) your exhaust system to handle that same volume. To make more incoming air than your exhaust is capable of discharging can cause backpressure which blows gaskets (hence, your release valve). Open exhaust is best of course, but not legal for street use.

Glad you're thinking about this; too many people just stick power boosters on their engines without considering better cams, better manifolds (headers) and better exhaust systems. They are generally disappointed in the results when only a little more effort could have given them the performance they wanted in the first place. Then, if they eventually get the performance increase they sought, they forget to improve their car's braking ability; more GO needs more STOP. Also, compressing air generates a lot of extra heat (compressed air itself is very hot), which puts a bigger load on your cooling system. Consider whether you might need a better radiator and oil cooler or not.

The downside to any performance enhancement is a corresponding deterioration in fuel economy, street drivability (slow idling) and reliability. Nissan builds their cars to last 10-20yrs, but their engines are capable of generating FAR more power if we're willing to keep rebuilding them occasionally.

The final dismal thought is that individual horsepower is expensive. You can add some extra horses initially without starving your family, but every slight increase beyond that seems to cost a disproportionate amount of money. Big horsepower is a rich boy's game.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:48 pm 

Gene, a final thought is to watch your compression ratio now that you're supercharged. Cars with turbos or superchargers generally have lower CRs than naturally aspirated engines do. Your supercharger is cramming a lot more air/fuel volume into the same small space now. Higher octane fuel (or additives) will probably help prevent preignition or pinging. A check with our members at RDZ will give you better advice on that than I can.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:46 pm 

Frank
I was just wondering about up grades. But I really feel that it doesn't need anything else. Maybe just a cat back exhaust some day. The car only has 35,000 miles. With the supercharger on the dyno it put out 420hp to the engine and 360hp to the wheels. The wheels start drifting in second gear @ 5lb of boost. Scares the heck out of me the first time it happened.
Thanks Gene

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:02 pm 

:lol: Wow, I'll bet it did.
Guys are reporting over 700bhp with that engine at 22lbs boost, but the heads are built to take that pressure and the pistons are dished.

Not real sure what upgrades you could possibly want if you're already putting 360bhp to the ground! Wow. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up: