Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: High alt output
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:56 pm 

Hey all....I'm getting my 73 240Z back on the road after 15 years in storage. Yes....15 years...have engine running...fuel tank cleaned,etc. today i checked the output of my alt. battery reads 12.3V not running...that's good. Reads 14V across terminals at idle, but when I rev it, 2500 to 3000 RPM it jumps as high as 16.5 to almost 17V across terminals...whoa....seems a might high. I know on new computer controlled cars that reading should be around 14.5V with engine under load. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: High alt output
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:40 pm 

Not uncommon in my experience. Batteries are usually sold with a half-charge so they don't run flat on the shelf. A single long drive will charge them to full capacity and then you should see normal readings. Your alternator is capable of lots more than that, but your battery only needs 16-17v today until it's completely charged up. By tmrw you should see it "rejecting" all that excess. You will also probably see the dashboard ammeter jump up a bit when you turn on electrical loads such as headlamps.

If you want to prove this to yrslf, swap in the battery from your family daily driver, which gets charged every day, and read what it takes from your alternator. It should be far lower (around 13v) because it's already fully charged. If you still get 17v on your charged battery, I agree you might have something weird going on then.

And while you're testing your daily driver battery in the Z, test your Z battery in your driver. If your charging systems are both working right, you should see the same results for each battery in either car; The new Z battery will want 17v from either car, and the already-charged daily driver battery will only want 13v wherever it is.