Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Z Troubles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:37 pm 

Hey all, I just want to vent a bit and share some of my frustration. I just picked up my 1970 240z in May. It sat in the garage since 1988 and needed a complete mechanical overhaul. "Awesome", I thought, "I love wrenching on Z cars! They're so easy to work on!". Well, I had a few surprises coming my way. First I bought the wrong rotors so my calipers wouldn't fit. No problem, just hit the old ones with the DA and turns out they were still usable. Well then I found out the engine was seized solid and wouldn't budge. Now I'm starting to get frustrated... Well luckily I have 4 spare engines. "I'll just put one of those together." Well after alot of time and money later I had a freshly rebuilt L-series engine ready to throw in. "Awesome! Time to fire it up." Well it ran like garbage. Nothing was coming out of the exhaust pipe, so I dropped the exhaust, cut out the mufflers which had been plugged with 27 years of mice nests, and welded in some new pipe. "Sigh, okay now it's done! But it's still running crappy. I'd better check the fuel filter. (which I'd just changed.)" Turns out there was tar on the bottom of the tank. Literally... There was liquid road tar on the bottom of the tank which got sucked up throug the new hoses and lines into the fuel pump and into the carbs. "Ok, at least I have a decent spare tank." So I changed that, flushed the lines, replaced the fuel pump and rebuilt my carbs. "OK! NOW IT'S DONE!" Well not quite... The timing gear was on backwards and cracked my valve cover when I started the engine. To make matters worse, in the process of reversing the gear the tensioner fell out. Now I have to pull the hood, radiator, alternator, distributor and drop the sway bar to pull the oil pump. Well I (reluctantly) got it done and drove the car for the first time yesterday. "Something isn't right..." It didn't sound like a brand new engine should have sounded. So I did a compression test. Cylinders 1,2,3,5 and 6 all had 170psi. Cylinder 4 had ZERO! I exhausted all possibilities. It wasn't a hole in the piston, it wasn't bad rings, it wasn't a broken rod, it wasn't bent valves and it wasn't a bad head gasket. I had no choise but to pull the head. Turns out the exhaust valve seat was shot. Now I have to send it out for new seats. WILL IT EVER END?! I'm trying to stay strong and see this project through to the end but my sanity is on the line. Hopefully after I get my head back everything will be working as it should and I can enjoy my new toy before the snow. I'll keep you all updated. Please pray for my car and my mental composure. Thanks everyone!

12/71 240z HLS30-57636
-----------------------
Derek Matcheski

Post subject: Re: Z Troubles
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:36 am 

Great story. I guess barn finds need to have everything rebuilt completely in order to run right. Hang in there. The pay-off of a well running Z is well worth the agony of getting there.

Paco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:27 pm 

What kind of head is it? (number)
And which block do you intend to put it onto? (number)

(Please answer before tonight's meeting and I might be able to help you out).

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:22 pm 

It's an E31 head on an N42 (2.8) block. I just brought the head in for new seats this morning. I'll be at the meet tonight. Looking forward to meeting you, Frank.

12/71 240z HLS30-57636
-----------------------
Derek Matcheski