Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 240z
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 pm 

240 won't rev over 3k....did just about everything you can do to make it happen,....any suggestions welcome!

Post subject: Re: 240z
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:20 pm 

We've had a few guys with similar problems in the past, and if I remember correctly, some of them were fuel-related and some were ignition or timing. Here's what they found:
1. One of them had such a clogged fuel filter, the carbs weren't getting enough fuel.
2. Two of them had something physical preventing the carbs from opening fully (bent accelerator pedal, and another had a worn-out linkage ball I think).
3. One of them had his distributor set wrong (maybe even 180* backward, which is a common mistake) or the timing was ridiculously far off.

I would examine the fuel filter first, because that's the easiest fix if it's the problem.
Then I would remove the air filter(s) and use a mirror to ensure both carbs are actually opening all the way when you ask for full steam. Examine the entire linkage and the gas pedal to ensure they have full range of motion.
Then I would put a timing light on the engine and make sure the timing is right. If it's an old breaker-point ignition system, ensure the point gap is correct.

If everything looks OK, I would check if one of the carbs has a stuck float. Try covering the carbs one at a time with your fingers. If that causes the engine to stumble or die, that carb is good. If you cover a carb and the engine continues to run the same, that carb has issues.

A bad coil will also limit rev range. If swapping in a known-good coil solves the problem, your old coil is dying.

Pulling the spark plugs and "reading" them can tell you whether they are all firing or not.

A compression check will tell you whether all cylinders are good, or if your rings or valves are lowering compression.

What is the recent history of the car? Are we talking about a carburetted car, or a
fuel injected car? What work has been done to it recently? Has it ever run well since you've had it? What does it sound like when it runs? Any flashing-back thru the carbs or backfiring out the exhaust pipe? What year is it and what kind of carbs are on it?