Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:56 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:54 am 

Anybody know how to get at the passenger door speaker on an '86 300ZX? The panel which covers the speaker doesn't have any obvious fasteners on or around it and I don't want to force anything for fear of breaking it. I don't have a shop manual for interior body parts.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:23 pm 

Have you considered removing the door panel Frank?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:01 pm 

Yes. The panel seems to have nothing to do with the speaker housing, which is separate from the panel. It appears the speaker housing should be capable of removal without taking the doorskin off. I just don't see where the fasteners are. I looked all around the housing with a mirror and can see where the bottom pulls away from the doorskin far enough to almost look up into the speaker, but there are no fasteners evident.

I was hoping someone knew how to slide it off or pull it away from hidden snaps or something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 pm 

Aha ~ you were right, Phil. The whole doorskin must be removed, since the speaker is wholly contained inside the door and the 'panel' is attached to the skin. Thanks.

One of the things I really love about Z cars is that almost no matter what you're trying to figure out, someone else has done it before you.

http://www.freshalloy.com/showthread.ph ... M-Speakers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:11 pm 

That thread looks like it's describing a z32 rather than a z31.

But yes the door panel does have to come off to get to the speaker. Pretty easy to do, nothing complex. Just make sure you find all the fasteners for the door panel before pulling...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:05 am 

I found out there are three screws under the 'buttons' on the arm rest as well as one in the door lever to remove. More to follow after this weekend's door adventure. :lol:

-Colette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:17 am 

Do you have all the toys and tools you need to pull this, Colette? I see he has a Star Driver in the picture (can't tell what size) and he talks about a pry tool. I would just use a plastic spatula, I think.

I have a set of Star Drivers if you decide you need them.

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:21 am 

Well since I'm not sure what a star driver is.... :lol: I was thinking of using a phillip's screwdriver and a couple of butter knives with tape. I've never done surgery on a door before or looked at a car speaker so this should prove interesting. I'm hoping it's just a loose wire or I'll be back for more advice.
-Colette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:46 am 

This is the link to the post on nissanforums.com. where I found the info. (I'm pretty sure I found the powerbox info on this site as well.) It says a #13 phillips head is needed. I asked around, apparently a star driver is different so I learned something new today :)

http://www.nissanforums.com/z31-300zx-t ... ccess.html
-Colette

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:12 am 

:wink: :thumbs_up:

I learn something new every time I come onto this website!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:57 pm 

CCzoom wrote:
It says a #13 phillips head is needed. I asked around, apparently a star driver is different

Wow I never saw a #13 that must be one huge screw.
The biggest I have is a #4. JK
A star is the same as Torx.
Glad it worked out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:22 pm 

Hasn't completely worked out yet.
We're going to have to muster a collaborative effort of Z folks with a little time on their hands and car knowledge to help get Colette's ZX in A+ condition. Body work, interior panel replacements, the odd intermittent speaker wire (this one) and one or two simple engine gaskets all need attention in time for Spring. She doesn't want to sell her car, and she's willing to get her hands dirty, but she needs ZX experts to guide her and maybe a manly assist here and there.
The biggest problem right now are two rust areas which need immediate attention to prevent them from becoming emergencies.
CC loves her ZX and doesn't really want to sell it (sound familiar to anyone?) but she's afraid some of the work it needs is "bigger than her toolbox", in her words.

If we got a handful of members to casually help out occasionally, this car would be zooming around with us at next year's events and meetings. Colette has even claimed to be a memorable cook and offered to bribe us with BBQ stuff.

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 pm 

Thanks Frank, I just came in to post my first issue with getting the door liner off and saw your post, very timely :roll:

First issue... :( I got the door plugs off but the screws are recessed about 2.5-3 inches and I don't seem to have the umph to get them out without risking stripping them. Should I spray them with silicone or WD40 to loosen them up. It'll be difficult to remove it since the hole is a just little bigger then my finger. I imagine they were put on with a gun.

Thanks,
C

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:24 pm 

No ma'am, I doubt they're rusted in there, so I probably wouldn't use any kind of break-free stuff right away. I would probably make sure the screwdriver was level in the hole, then lean against it to keep it tight while twisting. I think 90lb runway models like you simply don't weigh enough to make that happen, so you should ask one of us bigger guys to help you break those free. 8)

Another trick I've used is clamping a ViceGrip onto the screwdriver handle, to give me more leverage so I can s-l-o-w-l-y break the screw loose while leaning into it to keep the screwdriver point seated. There are also impact screwdrivers available, which you strike with a hammer to loosen stuck screws, but that's pretty much a last-effort deal and you'd probably need an extension to reach into that narrow well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 pm 

Colette . . . make sure the Phillips head screwdriver you are using has a good sharp end . . . . . if you think its worn at all just buy a new one. . . . . the last thing you want to do is strip the pattern. Franks suggestion works well . . . just make sure the tip is not rounded at all or you might strip the head.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)